GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lv20 Beardy Magic kidnapped me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Sun 06/03/05 at 22:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Curse you pixie demons.
They stole my Star Wars loving fanboy avatar, stripped it of composite armour and smuggled me from Tattooine.
I awoke to find myself in a land of trees, running rivers, villages and burning torches.
This is no space-world filled with sarlaacs and Hutts & Tusken Raiders, this is a forest world filled with boars and gnomes and cows and things.
I left a world of blaster rifles and thermite grenades and found myself in a land of magic and gumdrop trees.
Hmmmmmm...I hate wizards and mages, dwarves and elves.
I loathe lv20 cloak of clearasil and battling the ancient dragons of Mongfwapp.

Y'see, I was enjoying SW Galaxies until I decided to play it properly.
I was content with zipping about on a speederbike, visiting Jabba's Palace and hassling Gungans, exploring Endor & Tattooine like a good little sci-fi fanboy.
But then I decided to master professions and see if I could attain Jedi status.
And then my introduction to the world of "grinding".
That, for the virgin, is the thankless and endless task of repeatedly killing/foraging/creating something non-stop for the simple point of gaining XP to make the next level.
It involved hours (and I do mean hours) of simply shooting lairs and creatures to reach the next level.
Except I worked out to master the Marskman profession required 3,000,000 XP points in total.
At around 2k per monster, at the advanced stage.

So I bought World of Warcraft, figuring hey it's £25 and I could play the free month if nothing else.
Ok so it's pixies and mages, warlocks and wizards.
Meh.
Choose my avatar. No way in Tolkein's pipe am I going to be anything other than human. And no wizard human or any of that other crap.
A human warrior. With a massive sword. And no magic - that's for D&D fanatics and pasty sociopaths who actually believe fairies exist.

Game starts and I'm in a fluffy, almost cartoonish village square.
This seems ok, I'll run about a bit. Christ, there's an Elf already
*sigh*
I'm going to attack that rabbit, because I can. And I did. This is pretty cool. Now I'm going to dance in my pants for money. And it works, whats more it annoys Elves
[URL]http://img19.exs.cx/img19/6010/wow31uo.jpg[/URL]
Take a quest to deliver some scroll to some bloody sheriff somewhere with lots of consonants, whatever.
There's a pig! Here piggy piggy.
SLASH HACK STAB
Hahahaha, I killed a pig. And a cow. This is quite fun.
Eh? I'm level 3, how the hell did that happen? That took days on SW Galaxies.

That was 1 week ago.
Now I'm a Lv14 Warrior and absolutely love this game. I've thrown myself with abandon to warlocks and munchkins, gnomes and goats.
And it's the most fun I've had playing a game in a long, long time.
Why?
Lots of reasons, mainly that it's fun.
No grinding of mindless skills to increase your level. You take quests that are fun, quests that reward you with decent £ or excellent equipment.
And, here's the selling point for me, the levelling up happens whilst you play the game instead of hours spent doing nothing else.

But you don't have to. I spent an hour fishing with a bloke from Greece today, chatting about stuff inbetween landing life-giving fishies.
I found a guy from Norway from 2 days earlier and he showed me the biggest damn dam I've ever come across in a game
[URL]http://img19.exs.cx/img19/8416/wow80xb.jpg[/URL]

It's seamless. You take quests to earn loot & gear and suddenly find yourself a level higher than you did an hour ago. Attaining higher levels is a pleasant by-product of simply enjoying yourself smashing pigs with claymores or scything down thieves to collect their headbands.
And the world...the world itself is stunning in details.
I've spent a week in the land I started off on, and I still haven't seen 75% of it, but decided to head to Ironforge to deliver a package.
And it literally had me sitting there just staring like a tard at the main hall
[URL]http://img205.exs.cx/img205/9959/wow61ix.jpg[/URL]
That's just the entrance, it opens into a massive - and I do mean MASSIVE - hall, the size of Moria in the Lord of The Rings movie where they fled from that flame-monster thing.

Me, a Greek and a Nord wandering through a snow covered world.
Where you leave footprints in the snow and your breath steams.
[URL]http://img219.exs.cx/img219/8081/wow74yr.jpg[/URL]
After an hour, we decided to head back to our home-castle, and they introduced me to the best reason for playing I've come across so far.
The Gryffin ride.
You pay 1 silver and this thing flies you over the map.
No breaks, no loading, no stuttering. You take off and fly over the entire map to your destination. You stare goggle-eyed at places you haven't visited yet, places you want to see and explore. Mines, quarries, enormous lochs, towns you didnt even know were there.
[URL]http://img51.exs.cx/img51/7041/wow96td.jpg[/URL]

I initially loathed the idea of World of Warcraft. Pixies, magic men and orcs. Bah, that's going to sniff cordrouy balls, no thanks.
But trust me folks, if you have broadband then get the game.
And screw the "But it's £8 per month!!!!" noise, because you won't even explore one area properly in a month, look at it like buying a game per month for £8 with more depth, more detail, more care and attention and more playability than Elder Scrolls or anything else.
Because so far, for pure simple fun and "cor..." moments, World of Warcraft owns me, my games, my computer and my spare time.

GTA3, Metal Gear Solid, Morrowind.
These are games that, whilst playing, I thought "This is something new, I've not played a game like this before"
World of Warcraft stands astride them in a rock-pose, tips it's beardy head back and laughs really really loudly whilst urinating a fountain of warm lovely game.

Buy it.
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:27
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Gouge is great.
I usually hate doing Stealthy crap in games but it's good in WoW.
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Creepy wrote:
> WS you're my worst nightmare.
>
> A low level rogue is terrible for a hunter but a level 40+

Wait til you gain a few ranks, hunters have some good abilities to guard against Rogues, Hunters Mark can prevent them from cloaking while Flare, which you'll get around the level 30 region, will be able to show up all enemy rogues in the area, stripping them of their invisibility.

I'd mention Track Hidden, but that's completely useless as it can't seem to track anything.
Thu 10/03/05 at 06:54
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Bullett wrote:
> That's just your reason.
>
> It doesn't really matter what a character looks like.
>
> Bullett wrote:
>
> Dual wielding with enchanted weapons makes for possibly the coolest
> looking characters in the game :D
>
>
> :P

Yeah well, I meant the looks of a character are no reason to dislike them. there's nothing wrong with having a good-looking character :D
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'll hit him with my cudgel and my rank 2 Smite that any creature above level 10 can resist.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:29
Regular
WS you're my worst nightmare.

A low level rogue is terrible for a hunter but a level 40+

:'{

I just pray I never see you.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:23
Regular
I'm so pleased Sheepy is a rogue

*sniff*

Remember to gouge + backstab whenever you can
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:16
Regular
"Homemade Cherry Pie"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yes that's true.
> I gave up after being killed for the 3rd time by lv50 creatures
> whilst he ran miles ahead trying to impress his female avatar mate.

Aghahahahahahahhgahhdsfd!!!

Trying to impress ME you say? Hehe, whatever.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:15
Regular
"Homemade Cherry Pie"
Cycloon wrote:
> It was quite funny.
>
> Me and Kim were almost standing awkwardly looking 'elsewhere'.
>
> Then I died. Again.

Hehe...
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:06
Regular
I'll probably get told that's my fault aswell now.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Both of you. Just stop it.

OR take it online and fight

But Creepy is 10 levels higher, so.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.