GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless internet on a Laptop ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/04 at 20:02
Regular
""To the pub...""
If anyone read my post of hardrives i've decided to scrap that idea.

all i want to know is what i need to get the internet wirelessly onto a laptop

its so confusing all i want to do is buy a old laptop good enough to play diablo 2 and for it to have the internet on

what do i need for this

they bombard me with Wireless Routers and Wireless network cards and Hubs and wotsit names ahhhhhh lol

i wish someone could explain to me in simple terms what things i need and what i do with them.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:42
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Yes, you're very right.

But untill you've got 'good' at networks, it'll only confuse you and make it go wrong. etc.

Best to keep to the basics first.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
H²O wrote:
> But that is all you need to do. If people say "anyone can pick
> your internet up though" ignore them because they are trying to
> be clever. Unless someone happens to be sitting out side with a
> network card, thats not going to happen.

However it should still be emphasised that your wireless network is secured.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:35
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
No worries, it really is simple to set up. And for most wireless boxes you buy, they come with a trouble shoot cd that can set it all up for you.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:18
Regular
""To the pub...""
Ah cheers mate :) nice simple terms
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:14
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Bluetooth, what are you on about, unless you want to sit 10m away from the expensive bluetooth box set.

You get a broadband modem, you get the wireless router, you plug the ethernet into it from the modem. You get your laptop, plug the network card in. If you have XP, you're off and away, with ME it may take a slight configuring.

But that is all you need to do. If people say "anyone can pick your internet up though" ignore them because they are trying to be clever. Unless someone happens to be sitting out side with a network card, thats not going to happen.

Im on a wireless connection right now.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:12
Regular
""To the pub...""
RoJ wrote:
> Bluetooth.

Hmm i know what bluetooth is so what Bluetooth things do i need then ?
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:09
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Bluetooth.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:02
Regular
""To the pub...""
If anyone read my post of hardrives i've decided to scrap that idea.

all i want to know is what i need to get the internet wirelessly onto a laptop

its so confusing all i want to do is buy a old laptop good enough to play diablo 2 and for it to have the internet on

what do i need for this

they bombard me with Wireless Routers and Wireless network cards and Hubs and wotsit names ahhhhhh lol

i wish someone could explain to me in simple terms what things i need and what i do with them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.