GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Four Candles or Fork Handles?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/01 at 11:38
Regular
Yes, voice recognition.

Imagince being able to play Command and Conquer with a headset, so instead of pointing and clicking you could just say "Harvester, go South" or "Unit 3, attack North" and watch your Harvester trundle down to the bottom of the screen whilst that collection of Tanks and Infantry started to destroy the enemy turrets at the top. So much easier.

It just needs the technology to be improved a little, mainly the Voice Recognition Software. If the "You Talk, It Types" software gets any better, it won't be long before you'll be able to play FIFA without a control pad, you'll just be able to say "Shearer! Pass the ball back to Given...Given, kick it up the center, Glass volley at goal" and so on. That would be fun.

Some genres it would work better with than others, I think driving games (unless you wanted to be a co-pilot) and First Person Shooters (unless you wanted to control a team of fighters) wouldn't really benefit, unless a novel way of using this type of interface was devised.

As long as it increases the fun and makes games easier just to pick up and play, I think we'll be seeing more voice interaction in the future of gaming.
Fri 20/04/01 at 11:38
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yes, voice recognition.

Imagince being able to play Command and Conquer with a headset, so instead of pointing and clicking you could just say "Harvester, go South" or "Unit 3, attack North" and watch your Harvester trundle down to the bottom of the screen whilst that collection of Tanks and Infantry started to destroy the enemy turrets at the top. So much easier.

It just needs the technology to be improved a little, mainly the Voice Recognition Software. If the "You Talk, It Types" software gets any better, it won't be long before you'll be able to play FIFA without a control pad, you'll just be able to say "Shearer! Pass the ball back to Given...Given, kick it up the center, Glass volley at goal" and so on. That would be fun.

Some genres it would work better with than others, I think driving games (unless you wanted to be a co-pilot) and First Person Shooters (unless you wanted to control a team of fighters) wouldn't really benefit, unless a novel way of using this type of interface was devised.

As long as it increases the fun and makes games easier just to pick up and play, I think we'll be seeing more voice interaction in the future of gaming.
Fri 20/04/01 at 11:47
Regular
Fri 20/04/01 at 11:48
Regular
Obviously, it can only be used for a number of games. Space invaders wouldn't be as good if you had to say "shoot" over and over again...

I would type more, but I'm supposed to be working.
Fri 20/04/01 at 12:04
FM - your alter ego Fog Master has done a lot of posts in the past! Well done on being notables!
Fri 20/04/01 at 12:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
As long as voice recogntion ignores profanity, or my games would turn into XXX.
Examples:

Kengo (losing another match) "**** you, **** your stupid japenese Dojo and **** wooden kendo sticks"

MGS2 (being discovered) "Snake you ******* hamster, get out from underneath that box and **** that guard"

Fri 20/04/01 at 12:37
"High polygon count"
FM - Two Ronnies fan by any chance? :-)
Fri 20/04/01 at 12:44
Regular
There was a Two Ronnies night not so long ago... and they didn't have this sketch in it! I was quite annoyed.
Fri 20/04/01 at 13:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
This would be fantastic for a game like Unreal Tourny, or MechCommander2. Imagine it in a flight sim, with your wingmen following your every spoken command!
Fri 20/04/01 at 13:54
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> FM - Two Ronnies fan by any chance? :-)

Yeah, one of my favourite sketches was the hardware shop :-)
Fri 20/04/01 at 13:56
Regular
"I like cheese"
FM isn't fogmaster.

Fogmaster was a Nintendo fan. I believe that explains it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.