GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Images and Thumbnails"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/04 at 01:15
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
I am making a website containing all the pictures taken at my School Prom. I have been sent loads of images that i am to use. The thing is these images are large like 300kb. If i was to have them all on one page, for every user who connects would have to wait for each image to load and basically use all my bandwidth limit.

I thought i would use different pages and thumbnails. The thumbnails are just the same size in kb as the full pictures even tho i have changed the resoltuion of them. Is there any way of reducing the size of them without editing each on in paint to make them smaller ???

Thanks
Fri 28/05/04 at 14:14
Regular
"NULL"
There's a great PHP script package called Gallery. You can find it at Sourceforge. You can upload an entire directory of images at once, and add captions, keywords.

I've got it running: http://www.pattheotter.com
Thu 27/05/04 at 18:54
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Jive wrote:
> As Chips said, use the batch editor in PSP, if you've got Photoshop
> that also has a batch editor to make thumbnails, easiest way I find
> is to go File > Automate > Web Photo Gallery - select source and
> destination and let it create it's own pages, then discard the
> majority of the pages it creates but use the thumbnail pics.

I do not see this on the Paint Shop Pro i just got. isee the batch thing but dont know how to use it

Microchips wrote:
> If you have Paint Shop Pro, it has a batch editing feature.

yeah i see the batch thing, and if you could help me and shoe me what i would like to do. ive been messing with it and have no idea what im doing

THANKS
Thu 27/05/04 at 16:24
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Nice one, thanks, one day i might help you guys if i was to know any knowledge.

Im just gettin myself a copy of paint shop now. IF your assuming that im downloading it and not going to travel on a bus to a shop miles away to buy a peice of software for £50 that i will hardly use then your ..................
Wed 26/05/04 at 22:50
Regular
"How Handy."
Or use some gallery software to make all the pages for you ;)
Wed 26/05/04 at 12:06
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Just checked and so does IrfranView, methinks there be loads of free programs out there that do the jobs he needs :)
Wed 26/05/04 at 11:06
Regular
"Digging!"
Macromedia Fireworks also has a batch function which allows you to decrease the res and size.
Wed 26/05/04 at 09:46
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
As Chips said, use the batch editor in PSP, if you've got Photoshop that also has a batch editor to make thumbnails, easiest way I find is to go File > Automate > Web Photo Gallery - select source and destination and let it create it's own pages, then discard the majority of the pages it creates but use the thumbnail pics.

I'd also suggest that if you have Photoshop (I'm assuming PSP has the same function) that you save all your pictures to web format.

File > Save for Web - you can create a batch file to do this but I can't remember how you set it up, anyway, load up a picture, do the Save for Web and select medium or low, the lower the resolution the bigger the picture compression is (compression maybe the wrong word there) and the faster the picture will load in.

Basically I've done loads of photos which I've uploaded to my site which normally come off of my camera at about 500k, these compress down to about 100k :)

Much better for people viewing on dial up and your bandwidth.
Wed 26/05/04 at 07:19
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
If you have Paint Shop Pro, it has a batch editing feature.
Wed 26/05/04 at 01:15
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
I am making a website containing all the pictures taken at my School Prom. I have been sent loads of images that i am to use. The thing is these images are large like 300kb. If i was to have them all on one page, for every user who connects would have to wait for each image to load and basically use all my bandwidth limit.

I thought i would use different pages and thumbnails. The thumbnails are just the same size in kb as the full pictures even tho i have changed the resoltuion of them. Is there any way of reducing the size of them without editing each on in paint to make them smaller ???

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.