GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hard Drive Help !!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/05/04 at 09:58
Regular
""To the pub...""
Hmm i need help from all you IT Experts lol

Right here goes:

I have a very old computer a Packard Bell Club i think thats all its called anyway i don't have enough money for a new computer just yet but want to install more things onto my computer but because its a old computer it has a diddy 3GB Hardrive which is basically used up so my only option is too get another Hardrive.

Right so i've been told i can put 2 hardrives in 1 computer that saves having to reinstall everything from scratch.

As i can leave the orginal hardrive in and just worry about the new one basically my question is this:

Someone told me that not all hardrives will go in all computers because of size / shape / speed etc so how can i tell which ones will go in my computer.

thats all i need to find out i'll figure out how to put it in once i get one.

Fast Replys i would be very grateful of

Basically will a Maxtor Diamond Plus 40GB work in my computer do u reckon ?
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
3GB?

O_o
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:50
Regular
Once I had an old computer with 8GB Hard Disc Space and when I wanted to replace it with a new one I got a 15GB one and a 40GB one, the owner of the store told me to try both and pay for the one I wanted and return the other, but both of them didn't work as they are supposed to be, it turned out that the limit of my board is 8GB and if I install a 25/40 GB Hard Disk I could only use 8GB from it, but I am not sure how old my PC was I just wanted to let you know just in case you were curious.
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:17
Regular
""To the pub...""
Oh right cheers :S lol

erm i suppose i'l ask about this if i need to.

i just wanted to know is there anything else i should buy while i'm out i just wanted to get everything so i can coe back and sort it :P
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> Sweet cheers :P but may i ask what a Jumper COnnection is i mean if it
> did'nt recongnise they drive how do u make so it does what else do i
> need to buy for that ?

A jumper is a physical hardware setting on the rear of the drive. It'll look something like this: -

---------
|. . . .|
|. . . .|
---------

You insert a piece of plastic provided to change settings.

---------
|. . . .|
|. . . .|
--------- Slave

---------
|. . . *|
|. . . *|
--------- Master

---------
|. . * .|
|. . * .|
--------- Cable Select

---------
|. . * *|
|. . * *|
--------- Master with non ata compatibale slave

---------
|* . . .|
|* . . .|
--------- Limit Drive Capacity to 32 GB.

So for yours, Itd be something like (depending on the diagram on the back of the drive)

---------
|* . * .|
|* . * .|
--------- (Limit capacity, cable select)

Your current drive will be using the master connection on the cable, simply plut into the second one down.
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:09
Regular
""To the pub...""
Sweet cheers :P but may i ask what a Jumper COnnection is i mean if it did'nt recongnise they drive how do u make so it does what else do i need to buy for that ?
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:03
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> Basically will a Maxtor Diamond Plus 40GB work in my computer do u
> reckon ?

Not reason why not. Some boards dont recognise drives ofer 32Gb, but your can assign a jumper to stick to the 32Mb limit. Physical size and speed are not an issue as long as its an IDE drive.

Example. Where I work, a machine with a 3GB drive died. Exngineer out with a seagate 40GB. The board refused to accept the drive. A quick jumper correction, and the master drive works fine.

[edit] If you're using two, make sure the second 40Gb drive is set as a salve, and on the slave port of the ide cable.
Tue 25/05/04 at 09:58
Regular
""To the pub...""
Hmm i need help from all you IT Experts lol

Right here goes:

I have a very old computer a Packard Bell Club i think thats all its called anyway i don't have enough money for a new computer just yet but want to install more things onto my computer but because its a old computer it has a diddy 3GB Hardrive which is basically used up so my only option is too get another Hardrive.

Right so i've been told i can put 2 hardrives in 1 computer that saves having to reinstall everything from scratch.

As i can leave the orginal hardrive in and just worry about the new one basically my question is this:

Someone told me that not all hardrives will go in all computers because of size / shape / speed etc so how can i tell which ones will go in my computer.

thats all i need to find out i'll figure out how to put it in once i get one.

Fast Replys i would be very grateful of

Basically will a Maxtor Diamond Plus 40GB work in my computer do u reckon ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.