GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battle Royale"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 18:44
Regular
I was considering watching this on TV a couple of weeks back, but after reading the plot I just dismissed it as being random violence for the hell of it. However, a lot of mates watched it and claimed it to be a great film.

I'm a fan of violent films as long as they have some kind of meaning or message (such as Natural Born Killers, Scarface or Pulp Fiction), so would I like this or is it just and excuse for violence, for violence sakes?
Mon 12/07/04 at 19:32
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Okay, I chose bad wording there, it's anti-countries who force their young to fight in wars. At least according to the script notes on the DVD and stuff.(whatever his name is who had the original idea) was focused on those who force them to fight. Of course it is overall anti-war as well, but anti-war as in all wars.

It's arguing semantics, but to say it is anti-American is also saying it's anti-UK, anti-Iraq, anti-"insert country with army or that has ever fought anyone".

Some reviews seem to have marked it down for this, think Total Films mag was one, but I don't see why, it was the message he wanted to give in the film.

And, why on earth has it taken so long to get to our cinema and eventual DVD release what has been out in Japan/South Korea for at least 6 months, all with english subs and subbed extras?

The original Battle Royale is impossible to find in most shops now, and when on eBay the original copies go for about £20 at least, I ended up importing from Japan. Which, bizarrely, got me box set of both films, a limited box and photo thing, and shipping, for just over what the original film would have cost.

Anyone read the book? It's more violent, but probably more meaningful, than the film is - but to be honest there is no way some of the scenes missed from the film would get past the censors, probably.
Mon 12/07/04 at 16:46
Regular
"SOUP!"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> BR2 anti-american? Don't know how you got that message, it's anti-war,
> anti-countries sending their young to die for a cause. etc

Exactly.
Mon 12/07/04 at 16:45
Regular
"SOUP!"
Its a brilliant film, though is one of those things you have to see yourself.
Mon 12/07/04 at 16:43
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
BR2 anti-american? Don't know how you got that message, it's anti-war, anti-countries sending their young to die for a cause. etc
Mon 12/07/04 at 16:32
Regular
"diablo"
seen battle royale 1 + 2 both really good 1st sets the story. 2nd is very anti-american and got very good ratings from the critics.
Mon 12/07/04 at 09:59
Regular
Note to self - buy Battle Royale.
Mon 12/07/04 at 08:50
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Battle Royale would just be mindless violence if they didn't take extreme care over the plot. However it seems to me and all my friends that they pull it off very well and make it a great watch aswell as a bloodfest. 5 Stars, you would definitely enjoy it.

Battle Royale 2 though looks like it's only going to be a let down though. 2 Stars in Empire. Still watch it but it may ruin my view of the original.
Sun 11/07/04 at 22:05
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
The future teaches you to be alone
The present to be afraid and cold
So if I can shoot rabbits
Then I can shoot fascists
Mon 24/05/04 at 20:14
"period drama"
See also:

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=101420&forumid=301[/URL]
Mon 24/05/04 at 19:24
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
It is a great film.
And no, I don't feel it was just some random excuse for violence at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.