GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whatever happened to Virtual Reality?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/06/00 at 21:17
Regular
A few years back when 3D gaming started on the new age consoles, Virtual Reality (VR) was a obsession which hit the gaming world. But what happened to it.

Games were produced on special headsets which where not available to buy, and showed you just walking around. 'VR' was put on films as it was the 'The future of gaming'.

New consoles where released and 'VR' could of well be called an abandoned project. The possiblitys where to good for the time and the technology would have been exspensive. The gaming scene of 'VR' just slowly vanished as if it was in sinking sand.

But will it make a come back?
Who knows headsets could be in delvelopment now by some of the big companys such as Nintendo, Sony and Sega, maybe even released after the next-generation consoles die, which will be a very long time.

But 'VR' would only position gamers into the driving seat of a game, through the eyes of a character. This surly will not bring out the best of genres. So 'VR' could be used in conjunctiuon with consoles for certain genres and not used as a seprete gaming kit.

Ok, maybe we are skipping ahead of our time, of posabilitys, but will Virtual Reality be the way of gaming of the future, maybe even life.

People use to think so, so what about now?
Wed 21/06/00 at 11:43
Rav wrote:
> A company has just recently made a thing that's like a pair of
> glasses, and projects picturs straight into your eye. Obviously,
> this isn't the level of VR that u are talking about, but it does
> meen that u can be surrounded by a whole world.
>
> Anyway, VR is already here! Take a look at Nintendo's rumble pack-
> these are based on technology that cost thousands to make, but is
> still a practical way for VR to be used. And how about light guns,
> and force feedback fishing rod controllers. Sure they're not true
> VR, but they put you into the game... as though you were actually
> fishing. rather than just pressing coloured buttons, u have to
> cast the line out!
playstation rules
Mon 19/06/00 at 18:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
A company has just recently made a thing that's like a pair of glasses, and projects picturs straight into your eye. Obviously, this isn't the level of VR that u are talking about, but it does meen that u can be surrounded by a whole world.

Anyway, VR is already here! Take a look at Nintendo's rumble pack- these are based on technology that cost thousands to make, but is still a practical way for VR to be used. And how about light guns, and force feedback fishing rod controllers. Sure they're not true VR, but they put you into the game... as though you were actually fishing. rather than just pressing coloured buttons, u have to cast the line out!
Mon 19/06/00 at 07:18
I'm not surprised that VR headsets they disappeared-otherwise users would have had severe spinal problems (Do you remember how big they were?)
There have been modifications, and the last thing I saw was a headset about the same size as a diving mask that could be used for a PC.
Anyway, they weren't really practical because all you could do was walk around, and in the average gamers house, theres not enough room for that anyway. Added to which for say a shooting game you would then need a gun etc, and all the added accessories would bump up the price a bit.
It might have been practical if a place were opened for VR gaming in the same kind of enviroment as Laser Queast where you pay a set price for an hours gaming, and walk around playing say, a shooting game.
One place I know they are used is a ride in Segaworld in London-you put on the headset, strap into your seat (which moves) and along with 20 other people you are supposed to be gunners in this futuristic space craft. You look at the target and it automatically locks on, and then you fire with hand triggers. Its good fun, and it shows the proper way to use VR.
Sun 18/06/00 at 21:17
Regular
"Walking Stick Neede"
A few years back when 3D gaming started on the new age consoles, Virtual Reality (VR) was a obsession which hit the gaming world. But what happened to it.

Games were produced on special headsets which where not available to buy, and showed you just walking around. 'VR' was put on films as it was the 'The future of gaming'.

New consoles where released and 'VR' could of well be called an abandoned project. The possiblitys where to good for the time and the technology would have been exspensive. The gaming scene of 'VR' just slowly vanished as if it was in sinking sand.

But will it make a come back?
Who knows headsets could be in delvelopment now by some of the big companys such as Nintendo, Sony and Sega, maybe even released after the next-generation consoles die, which will be a very long time.

But 'VR' would only position gamers into the driving seat of a game, through the eyes of a character. This surly will not bring out the best of genres. So 'VR' could be used in conjunctiuon with consoles for certain genres and not used as a seprete gaming kit.

Ok, maybe we are skipping ahead of our time, of posabilitys, but will Virtual Reality be the way of gaming of the future, maybe even life.

People use to think so, so what about now?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.