GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/05/04 at 14:55
Regular
A week or so back, English_Bloke made a post about how he thinks The Streets suck and there was a mass discussion, with opinions being thrown around about the band. But most of the time, people dislike the "singles" that they have released, and never actually listened to the album(s).

As many fans will know, The Streets gained their respect and admiration from their first album - Original Pirate Material, which was absolutely superb in its consistant, original and catchy tunes to listen to. And you know why they was good? Because each song tells a story, and Mike unfolds an everyday situation into a mix of clever lyrics and some pretty cool poetry.

So, After the success of O.P.M, I was anticipating their second album's release. And after having a few listens to it, I can safely say "A Grand Don't Come For Free" is absolutely brilliant, they've taken a more "chilled" approach to their music, and Mike's accented voice suits each one perfectly.

Tracks that are worth a listen?

Dry Your Eyes - An emotional song about the moment when you split up with your girlfriend, and how you want to keep the relationship going. Backed with an Acoustic guitar, its quite instrumental and is great to listen to if you are feeling a bit down

Blinded by the Lights - Ever wondered what it sounds like to take drugs? This is Mikes rendition of the experiance of the 'nightclub drug culture', as he get worse in being wrecked the song seems to take on a more "spaced out" approach - brilliance!

The only track I HATE on this album is "Fit but you know it", it's just too radio edited for my liking. Rubbish track.

The Streets have received mixed opinions from everyone, but I do know that I enjoy their music and its brilliant to just listen to in the background at a "drinking session" with the mates.

So why not give it a try?
Mon 24/05/04 at 13:22
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
yes yes oh yay
ill stop sharkin a minute to get chips and drinks
Mon 24/05/04 at 13:21
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
as do i
Mon 24/05/04 at 13:20
Regular
I fully intend to purchase this album in a couple of weeks when I get back from holiday.
Sat 22/05/04 at 18:04
Regular
CDouch wrote:
> Number 2 is great "I saw this thing on ITV the other day..."

Could be well in

Yup
Sat 22/05/04 at 17:42
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Dry Your Eyes is fantasic! Number 5 is also good, I don't know it's called but it goes "She's the best thing that ever happened to me and I don't know what I'd do with out her". Number 2 is great too "I saw this thing on ITV the other day..." and I also love the way the story carries through the songs, fantastic idea.

Shame the first song isn't as good as the first one on OPM, that really got you built up and ready for the CD. It's still good, but if you've heard both I think you'll know what I mean.
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:03
Regular
The Verve were good.
And I like "Fit but you know it"
Duno why, I'm a fan of talking songs that aren't really signing songs.

:-S

Like Blur.
Sat 22/05/04 at 15:26
Regular
"SOUP!"
"Fit but you know it" is just a monologue with a sh*te and annoying London accent. It reminds me of The Verve in a sickly way.

The video is good, though.
Sat 22/05/04 at 14:55
Regular
A week or so back, English_Bloke made a post about how he thinks The Streets suck and there was a mass discussion, with opinions being thrown around about the band. But most of the time, people dislike the "singles" that they have released, and never actually listened to the album(s).

As many fans will know, The Streets gained their respect and admiration from their first album - Original Pirate Material, which was absolutely superb in its consistant, original and catchy tunes to listen to. And you know why they was good? Because each song tells a story, and Mike unfolds an everyday situation into a mix of clever lyrics and some pretty cool poetry.

So, After the success of O.P.M, I was anticipating their second album's release. And after having a few listens to it, I can safely say "A Grand Don't Come For Free" is absolutely brilliant, they've taken a more "chilled" approach to their music, and Mike's accented voice suits each one perfectly.

Tracks that are worth a listen?

Dry Your Eyes - An emotional song about the moment when you split up with your girlfriend, and how you want to keep the relationship going. Backed with an Acoustic guitar, its quite instrumental and is great to listen to if you are feeling a bit down

Blinded by the Lights - Ever wondered what it sounds like to take drugs? This is Mikes rendition of the experiance of the 'nightclub drug culture', as he get worse in being wrecked the song seems to take on a more "spaced out" approach - brilliance!

The only track I HATE on this album is "Fit but you know it", it's just too radio edited for my liking. Rubbish track.

The Streets have received mixed opinions from everyone, but I do know that I enjoy their music and its brilliant to just listen to in the background at a "drinking session" with the mates.

So why not give it a try?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.