GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Depression for the uninformed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/05/04 at 02:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I read a lot of people on here, asking whats wrong with them and are they depressed, well now you can check for yourself.
Ive no interest commenting in here and would appreciate if you could keep me and my motivations for doing this, out of here.

SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION

Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
Feeling useless, inadequate, bad.
Self hatred, constant questioning of thoughts and actions, an overwhelming need for reassurance.
Being vulnerable and "over-sensitive".
Feeling guilty.
A loss of energy and motivation, that makes even the simplest tasks or decisions seem difficult.
Self harm.
Loss or gain in weight.
Difficulty with getting off to sleep, or (less frequently) an excessive desire to sleep.
Agitation and restlessness.
Loss of sex drive.
Finding it impossible to concentrate for any length of time, forgetfulness. A sense of unreality.
Physical aches and pains, sometimes with the fear that you are seriously ill.
In severe depression, these feelings may also include:

Suicidal ideas.
Failure to eat or drink.
Delusions and/or hallucinations.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF DEPRESSION
Some types of depression are very specific

SEVERE DEPRESSION
If the depression is very bad, and the person who is suffering is in need of immediate support, contact the Samaritans on 0345 90 90 90 and your GP as soon as possible. Try to cope by getting support.
MANIC OR BIPOLAR DEPRESSION
This type of depression is marked by extreme mood swings, from "highs" of excessive energy and elation to "lows" of utter despair and lethargy. Manic depression is often treated with Lithium, which evens out the mood swings.

POST NATAL DEPRESSION
This is not "the baby blues" which occurs 2-3 days after the birth and goes away. Post natal depression can occur from about 2 weeks and up to 2 years after the birth.

SAD
Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression which generally coincides with the approach of winter, starting with September and lasting until Spring brings longer days and more sunshine.
Sun 23/05/04 at 01:40
Regular
"you've got a beard"
cookie monster wrote:
>
> I started being bullied at school when i was 12, it never really
> stopped, i know depression, i know what it feels like to go home
> after school and cry for hours into your pillow wishing you were
> dead. But i survived, and im stronger for it.

that's almost identical to my school days mate, sucks doesn't it? :(

but, looking back, that kind of depression at an early age is only so severe because from 12-16 everyone feels like the world's on their shoulders anyways, and i say that from experence. However, compared to how i've felt recently, now i have perspective on the world and on myself, i realise that i've only experienced true depression in the last month or so, the school feelings don't come close, despite how i may have felt about it at the time.
At school there are almost always supports available to you, but when your in your 20's and your world is suddenly shattered as you're in mid-stride, you realise just how hard things can get sometimes.
Sat 22/05/04 at 15:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Very_Metal wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> depression is just sadness.
>
> no offense mate, but if that's how you honestly feel then you haven't
> been through proper depression (which i hope stays that way for ya!
> :) ). There's a world of difference, being sad is one thing, but
> depression impacts deeply on every aspect of life.
> Obviously different people handle things in different ways so maybe
> you're just stronger than others but depression is significantly more
> than just sadness.

I started being bullied at school when i was 12, it never really stopped, i know depression, i know what it feels like to go home after school and cry for hours into your pillow wishing you were dead. But i survived, and im stronger for it.
Sat 22/05/04 at 15:52
Regular
"you've got a beard"
cookie monster wrote:
> depression is just sadness.

no offense mate, but if that's how you honestly feel then you haven't been through proper depression (which i hope stays that way for ya! :) ). There's a world of difference, being sad is one thing, but depression impacts deeply on every aspect of life.
Obviously different people handle things in different ways so maybe you're just stronger than others but depression is significantly more than just sadness.

I think RoJ has definately explained it best so far though...
Sat 22/05/04 at 15:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
RoJ wrote:
> The words "I'm depressed" is used to freely in society.
> There may be those who are a bit sad about something - say their
> goldfish died. They would call themselves depressed. But they sure
> as hell aren't. And there are those who had their whole family wiped
> out in a car crash, and they are now paralysed. They would either
> say, "I want to die, I'll pay you to kill me". Or
> "I'm depressed" That's what being depressed
> really is.

"Im depressed" means that someone feels sad, depression is just sadness. Some people however are more depressed than others, usually for no good reason.
Sat 22/05/04 at 15:04
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Yes i seem to have turned it into something about me and i'd rather not, i'll delete it.
Sat 22/05/04 at 14:59
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Teal'c wrote:
> FFS, everyone has been like that at some point of their lives, stop
> trying to make yourself feel "special" by including
> yourself in such a group.
>
> You're taking advantage of the attention that declaring yourself
> "depressed" brings.

i agree with this fellow
Sat 22/05/04 at 14:58
Regular
FFS, everyone has been like that at some point of their lives, stop trying to make yourself feel "special" by including yourself in such a group.

You're taking advantage of the attention that declaring yourself "depressed" brings.
Sat 22/05/04 at 14:20
Regular
"Monochromatic"
* EDIT *
Sat 22/05/04 at 14:15
Regular
"you've got a beard"
BIPOLAR DEPRESSION - been battling this for some years now.. nowhere near as bad as it was, but the last month has been particularly traumatic and i experienced most of the things on that list.. especially the lack of sleep and inability to eat.

never have i been so grateful for my friends and family..
Sat 22/05/04 at 13:16
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I know several people who always claim that they want to kill themselves if just the tiniest thing goes wrong - example, my friend went out with a super hot year 10 girl, and got dumped, like, 3 days after, then started to change his MSN screennames to stuff like 'I hate my life'

Suck it up, soldier.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.