GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice - internet connection for a couple of months"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/05/04 at 17:02
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Ok, I have 3 months before I go to uni and I'd like a cheap internet connection, but apparently as I don't have a phone line in my room I would have to go downstairs with a cable to plug in each time I wanted to use it. So, I hear with broadband I don't need to do that.

If I just want to be able to use it for 3 months, and then see whether I will take it on after that (as I will be in halls, not sure if you can use broadband there) is there anything I can do? I want to be able to use it as much as possible, so not be paying per minute or anything (unless it's stupidly cheap per minute)

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!
Fri 21/05/04 at 08:53
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Wow. Thanks for all your help. I do have internet access at work, I guess I could wait, it just seems strange having a computer without internet access, I keep going to check something and realising the stupid thing doesn't have it!

I'm gonna look into all those options though, so thanks!
Thu 20/05/04 at 23:08
Regular
He would still need a modem if he went for Feeola, best stick to 56k I think
Thu 20/05/04 at 23:05
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
phi11ip wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> And you likely won't need a year
> because of uni, where it is very likely the halls will have free
> internet installed.
>
> Nope, not ~that~ many have got free broadband internet, we still have
> to pay 1p a min for dial up internet...
>

It just depends how good your University is.
Thu 20/05/04 at 23:01
Regular
"Digging!"
I quote from you FAQ page (http://freeola.com/broadband/adsl_faq.php):

"What's the minimum term?
Unlike most of our competitors, Freeola only asks that you take the service for a minimum of three months from the date of activation. After this we require only 30 days notice of cancellation."
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:30
"I love yo... lamp."
Torquay United! wrote:
> BLOODY OY!
>
> Freeola Broadband ***does not*** require a three month contract!
>
> The answer is right under your nose!
>
> Regards,
> Danny

Might want to change the Freeola Broadband page then!
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> And you likely won't need a year
> because of uni, where it is very likely the halls will have free
> internet installed.

Nope, not ~that~ many have got free broadband internet, we still have to pay 1p a min for dial up internet...

Well, we're meant to but someone's found out a freephone number that works so we're all getting internet for free, we just leave it connected 24/7!

The phones only work with chargecards too so there's no way we can be billed!
Thu 20/05/04 at 21:46
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
BLOODY OY!

Freeola Broadband ***does not*** require a three month contract!

The answer is right under your nose!

Regards,
Danny
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Digging!"
Kat wrote:
> Ok, I have 3 months before I go to uni and I'd like a cheap internet
> connection, but apparently as I don't have a phone line in my room I
> would have to go downstairs with a cable to plug in each time I
> wanted to use it. So, I hear with broadband I don't need to do that.

I assume you are still at home for the 3 months, yes? If so I would just get a dialup for 3 months like Notorious Biggles said.

> If I just want to be able to use it for 3 months, and then see
> whether I will take it on after that (as I will be in halls, not sure
> if you can use broadband there) is there anything I can do? I want to
> be able to use it as much as possible, so not be paying per minute or
> anything (unless it's stupidly cheap per minute)

As long as you have a phone line you should be able to get broadband, although I'm not sure about that if its an 0845 number. Bear in mind that you can't move a broadband line from phone number to phone number, you would have to cancel and re subscribe. Also, with any internet connection you can run a wireless network, not just broadband, just in the case of broadband you can get a wireless router (A small box that connects to the phone line) rather than needing another PC at the phoneline like you would with 56k. Also, most halls have very resonably priced internet. At my bros hall it cost £40 for a year to have a 10mbps (a normal broadband line is 512kbps, so his was about 20 times faster) internet connection.

Hope that helps.
Thu 20/05/04 at 17:33
"I love yo... lamp."
With broadband you will still need to trail a wire to the phone line at some point. That is inconvenient but not a major problem.

What is more likely to be a problem is finding a provider that doesn't want a 12 month contract. And you likely won't need a year because of uni, where it is very likely the halls will have free internet installed.

I'm pretty certain that there are providers that will do only 3 month contracts for ADSL, but they are unlikely to be the cheapest.

So in light of that I would consider just a normal dial up connection with an Anytime package. It wouldn't be so expensive and would be less hassle. Of course it would be slower but unless you download a lot then that wouldn't be a problem. Possibly.
Thu 20/05/04 at 17:02
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Ok, I have 3 months before I go to uni and I'd like a cheap internet connection, but apparently as I don't have a phone line in my room I would have to go downstairs with a cable to plug in each time I wanted to use it. So, I hear with broadband I don't need to do that.

If I just want to be able to use it for 3 months, and then see whether I will take it on after that (as I will be in halls, not sure if you can use broadband there) is there anything I can do? I want to be able to use it as much as possible, so not be paying per minute or anything (unless it's stupidly cheap per minute)

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.