GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" PSP games list and short reviews"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/06/06 at 02:18
Regular
"Captain to you."
Basically i’d like this thread to contain a list of the psp games that the members of this forum own, the main reason for this is that i am always a bit unsure when buying portable games as sometimes you don’t get quite the experience of the console counterparts.

Another reason is that psp games are expensive on the most part, i mean when compared to PC games and so buying them seems to matter a bit more to my bank balance.

A few sentences will do for your opinions on the game just enough so that people can see good and bad points and if it’s worth the money.

Wipeout Pure

This feels pretty good once you get to the faster/harder tournaments, it’s runs as a good smooth pace and has a lot of tracks and cars, the downloadable content expands the track and car numbers a lot and can be downloaded either through your psp and placed on your memory card or through your psp and will work straight away.

Like most driving games learning the tracks is the real key to winning, it takes a few runs but the tracks are well made and tricky enough to be fun without being too easy.

8/10

Dragonball Shin Budokai

A great 3d fighting game if you like dragon ball z, very simple controls but at a very fast pace, if you get 2 people that know the game well battles can become quite epic and a lot of fun, there are a good selection of all the main characters covering all their transformation stages.

8/10

Streetfighter Alpha 3 MAX

This is a perfect copy of the Saturn version only with a few extra characters, graphics are great. The only downside is in the psp itself the d-pad is terrible this seriously detracted from the game, but it’s still a good game and just takes a bit of getting used to.

8/10

Dynasty Warriors

A good old fashioned hack and slash, taking on hordes of armies. This seems to be very similar to the ps2 version only with more heroes to select, it’s a very simple game but entertaining.

5/10

Breath of Fire 3

A classic breath of fire game, takes a while to get going but good once you start leveling up a bit, some fights are quite hard but it just means you have to fight whenever you can. The graphics arn’t anything special but it’s a good game and will keep you occupied for a long time while travelling.

6/10

Tales of Eternia

A great RPG the story is quite gripping and the fighting is real time which in my opinion makes it much more fun than just selecting attacks solely from a list, the random attacks while walking around can get to be a pain in the ass from time to time when you’re just about to get to a city but they add to the general entertainment of the game

8/10

Lumines

Bloody good fun puzzle style game, dropping blocks to form bigger blocks of the same colour and getting points for them, The sound track is ace and changes as you progress through the game, can be purchased cheap under £15

8.5/10

Monster Hunter Freedom

This is simply the best PSP game out at the moment in my opinion, it is a RPG but a very shallow one with no story but is very addictive and could possibly be one fo the longest portable console games to play through the main missions. You play as a hunter who must gather items from creatures/plants/objects to meet quest requirements and to combine them to make new items/potions/traps/weapons/armor. I have spoken to people that have played well over 50hours of this game and still enjoy it. It is a basic hack and slash game to start when you are just learning what to do, but later on it pays to play as a hunter, using lures like raw meat to get creatures to walk in to a trap or watching how creatures move to decide when to attack. Some people find it repetitive but then i enjoy those crazy Korean MMORPGS so this is great from my point of view.

9.5/10
Fri 26/01/07 at 17:02
Regular
"Mighty Strathmore"
Lemmings
fun years ago but wouldn't pay more than a fiver for it. The original was better, technology has done no justice for the game play. Glad it came free with the PSP so i didn't waste any money
4/10

Daxter
Cute little fella, storyline just keeps you playing though it is very repetitive. Final level a bit hard
6/10

WipeOut Pure
great game and great downloads. Probably the 1st big PSP game that showned the consols true abilities
8/10

F1 2005
picked it up for £7 and what a bargin. realistic and fun. Easy to play and the challange mode adds hours of game play.
8/10

Ace Combat X
one of the best games i've played for the PSP even, the graphics are on par with the PS2, gameplay is unreal. You can play it 100 times and it will be different each time. One downside is the analouge stick which is not the games fault but the PSPs. I've never liked that button.
9.9/10
Fri 07/07/06 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
Marvel: rise of the imperfects
-------------------------------
It's ok, problems are that it feels to much like you're just bashing a couple of buttons to win, using the punch button all the time. It's also a bit samey, even with different arenas you've pretty much got the same feel to each level.

The characters are nice and the animation is ok, but I can see it wouldn't last too long after I unlock Spider-man and play for a bit.
5/10

Fired Up
--------
Great to play in short bursts. A bit like Twisted Metal with structured missions. Can get repetative, but still good.
7/10

Wipeout Pure
-------------
Lovely visuals, lovely music, lovely game. Addictive.
9/10

Ridge Racer
------------
Fantastic looking and great fun to play, though if you didn't like the gameplay on PS2, you probably won't like this either. Personally, I love it, though sometimes you have to wonder about that powersliding...
8/10

Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots)
----------------
Good solid golfing engine made fun by the interesting sweet characters. Possibly a bit basic compared to something like Tiger Woods, but a playable game with loads to unlock.
8/10

Tony Hawks
----------
Pretty much the same as the console version, but fun in handheld form. The face mapping is really easy, though I couldn't get my hair right! Could do with less of the annoying story though and it took time to get used to the buttons.
7/10

Need for Speed Rivals
---------------------
Hm. Played it and got quite far but it just seemed a bit shallow. Ok for a bit of street racing but pretty average.
6/10

Lumines
--------
Addictive as any puzzle game should be. Now got a copy and its great to delve into. Simple idea, well executed...almost Hypnotic.
8/10

Virtua Tennis
-------------
Great. Just like the full blown console versions only with 4 player link up and portable!
9/10

TOCA
----
Bloomin' hard. Great simulation with loads of different races to unlock, but could have you swearing at your PSP
8/10

Burnout Legends
---------------
Best game on PSP, bar none. Fast, fun and other words that begin with F
10/10

Ape Escape P
------------------
Virtually the same as the old PS1 game, but without the twin analogue. Not bad, but the control system Is awkward. Nice minigames to unlock though.

Ape Academy
-------------------
Great fun in short bursts. Once you’ve unlocked a game in the main challenge mode, you can play it again at any time, but it gets sooo hard very quickly.
7/10
Fri 07/07/06 at 09:49
"possibly impossible"
Locoroco 9/10

Best cute game in the world.
Thu 06/07/06 at 20:55
Regular
"Captain to you."
Hmm this thread didn't kick off like i hoped it would, i guess not many people own psps :(

LocoRoco

A good puzzle/platform game, has cute little characters that jump around/roll to move around the world. The best part of the game by far is the music and the character animation, each of the characters sings along to the music and if there is more than one vocal part when you split them apart tey cover all the parts.

If you own a psp you should get this, it's great fun about 6 hours to play through the first time and then there is good replay value.

9/10
Fri 09/06/06 at 12:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Gtand Theft Auto: LCS

Great little PSP game, the only one I could be bothered to buy at the moment. Very similar to the PS2 grand theft auto games and set in Liverty city but with a different story line.

Controls are simple, graphics look great on the psp and even once you've completed the single player missions you can still run around blasting folk and getting chased by the cops.

Better than all those silly puzzle and beardy elves games.
Fri 09/06/06 at 02:18
Regular
"Captain to you."
Basically i’d like this thread to contain a list of the psp games that the members of this forum own, the main reason for this is that i am always a bit unsure when buying portable games as sometimes you don’t get quite the experience of the console counterparts.

Another reason is that psp games are expensive on the most part, i mean when compared to PC games and so buying them seems to matter a bit more to my bank balance.

A few sentences will do for your opinions on the game just enough so that people can see good and bad points and if it’s worth the money.

Wipeout Pure

This feels pretty good once you get to the faster/harder tournaments, it’s runs as a good smooth pace and has a lot of tracks and cars, the downloadable content expands the track and car numbers a lot and can be downloaded either through your psp and placed on your memory card or through your psp and will work straight away.

Like most driving games learning the tracks is the real key to winning, it takes a few runs but the tracks are well made and tricky enough to be fun without being too easy.

8/10

Dragonball Shin Budokai

A great 3d fighting game if you like dragon ball z, very simple controls but at a very fast pace, if you get 2 people that know the game well battles can become quite epic and a lot of fun, there are a good selection of all the main characters covering all their transformation stages.

8/10

Streetfighter Alpha 3 MAX

This is a perfect copy of the Saturn version only with a few extra characters, graphics are great. The only downside is in the psp itself the d-pad is terrible this seriously detracted from the game, but it’s still a good game and just takes a bit of getting used to.

8/10

Dynasty Warriors

A good old fashioned hack and slash, taking on hordes of armies. This seems to be very similar to the ps2 version only with more heroes to select, it’s a very simple game but entertaining.

5/10

Breath of Fire 3

A classic breath of fire game, takes a while to get going but good once you start leveling up a bit, some fights are quite hard but it just means you have to fight whenever you can. The graphics arn’t anything special but it’s a good game and will keep you occupied for a long time while travelling.

6/10

Tales of Eternia

A great RPG the story is quite gripping and the fighting is real time which in my opinion makes it much more fun than just selecting attacks solely from a list, the random attacks while walking around can get to be a pain in the ass from time to time when you’re just about to get to a city but they add to the general entertainment of the game

8/10

Lumines

Bloody good fun puzzle style game, dropping blocks to form bigger blocks of the same colour and getting points for them, The sound track is ace and changes as you progress through the game, can be purchased cheap under £15

8.5/10

Monster Hunter Freedom

This is simply the best PSP game out at the moment in my opinion, it is a RPG but a very shallow one with no story but is very addictive and could possibly be one fo the longest portable console games to play through the main missions. You play as a hunter who must gather items from creatures/plants/objects to meet quest requirements and to combine them to make new items/potions/traps/weapons/armor. I have spoken to people that have played well over 50hours of this game and still enjoy it. It is a basic hack and slash game to start when you are just learning what to do, but later on it pays to play as a hunter, using lures like raw meat to get creatures to walk in to a trap or watching how creatures move to decide when to attack. Some people find it repetitive but then i enjoy those crazy Korean MMORPGS so this is great from my point of view.

9.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.