GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why bother?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/05/04 at 16:53
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Exams, assessments, test, whatever you want to call them; we take them in order to obtain a grade in a field of speciality. A grade is measured by comparing your result to everyone else who took that exam and ranking you, then giving the top 15% or whatever an A* grade. Based on the results, doors are opened for you, the better you do, the better your options become. A* - Brain surgeon, U – Shelf stacker.

Hold on, what if we have the greatest brain surgeon potential lying in a man who isn’t a very good analyser of the English literature of Shakespeare, Mary Shelly and Charles Dickens? He didn’t spot the alliteration, he wasn’t aware that god was personified in the wind; he didn’t see the metaphor behind the word. He is never given the opportunity to perform surgeries on brains, as he was not deemed ‘smart enough’ for the training.

So we bust our nuts to get these grades and earn our place in this so called society, trying desperately to gain respect in civilisation, but why bother? Do you really want to earn a rank in a place that’s full of narrow-minded, naive, ignorant people?

Take a step back and look at the culture we accustom ourselves to so easily. Question it, examine it, and test it, is it really worth all the effort? It is if you earn the rank, if you can pull yourself too the top and commend the respect you’ve ‘earned’ by beating all the rest. But what about the others, the ones who try but fail, who don’t meet the requirements of your ideal world, who aren’t the criteria your looking for? You need those people though, otherwise how will you look good? How can I be good at something if you have no bad to compare me to? The weaker ones are there to justify the strong. You can’t have a winner without a looser, a hero without a villain or damsel to save.

So I ask myself, why should I bother with all this, why try to earn the position I want, and how many people must fail for me to achieve it and how many must I fail for in order to make look good?

Who are you to disagree with me? Feel free to have your own opinions, but I’m sure if you think I’m wrong, or I’m an idiot, its just because you have a higher rank than me. I wouldn’t bother trying to convince me I’m wrong, because if you succeed, that’s one less person below you, you look fractionally worse.

If we all believed the same, performed the same, achieved the same then life would be very tedious, everyone would be bored, and there’d be very little to live for.

I guess what I’m really asking is why can’t I be good at anything? Anything significant in your social order. And If I am already good at it, why don’t I enjoy it. Why must I always be the one justifying the strong? Proving the great, demonstrating the talented. I suppose this all seems a little melodramatic ay? Well, if everyone acted like I am right now then this would be seen as normal, melodrama would be something completely different.

In a hundred years no one will remember me, they probably wont remember you. But I don’t think I want to be remembered. I think I’d rather be forgotten, just a spec on a playing field.

Back to where I started, and where I’m going to finish. Why bother trying so hard for you world? Why waste my time when the day after I die, no one will care, my ranking will be removed, I will be replaced, I will serve no purpose, justify no one, well except maybe make someone else’s grave look better by comparison. To any thinking I’m about to top myself, I’m not, I’m far from it, if I did then I would have succumb to the empire of filth that is mankind. To any, and more specifically one, who might suggest religion, the greater being of god; I propose you shove that in someone else’s face, I don’t need to hear about a greater being, he wouldn’t be so great if we weren’t all so bad by comparison. I suppose the total of about 3 people who are reading this final line having read all that I said, I should thank for showing five minutes of contempt in your lives.
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:43
Regular
"SOUP!"
Cyclone wrote:
> OMG! BESTEST FILMA EVAH! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE!
>
> No, Ross, calm down. That was the Orange film ads....

Heh, I laughed at that :_D
Thu 20/05/04 at 19:17
Regular
El Pinko wrote:
> Why? For craving the victory? that's not a bad thing. Realising that
> there is no victory, thats the difficult thing.

For wanting my own team-mates to fail in order for me to succeed :^(

It's funny, I've toyed before with the idea that winning a frame of pool only means something in how you match up to others' abilities, but I didn't give it much more thought, before this post.

I love to play because I can pull off shots that leave even myself in awe (or more often, just quite impressed) of myself.
Though of course, comparing with others soon became the measure of success.

It's odd, I've spent time trying to adopt the mindset that I should be seeking to play at my best, rather than seeking to win.
That was for the purpose of relieving pressure and expectation, but in fact it turns out that in the light of reason, trying to play my best is all that is worth anything anyway.

:^|
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
OMG! BESTEST FILMA EVAH! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE!

No, Ross, calm down. That was the Orange film ads....
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:52
"possibly impossible"
And I'll be the film reviewer who sits through those movies.

...but not Paul Ross...
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:48
Regular
"SOUP!"
When I am a famous writer I will hire Pinko to clean my desk and also convert my stories into films because he = skill.

Lil Bro will also be my shoe buffer.
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:15
Regular
"Light of the world"
The system can seem real poo.

Yes we are in a society where alot of things depend on the two hour exam we take one afternoon.

It is hard, It is crap on many levels but it is life

You know what I dislike? I do not dislike failures or those that didnt achieve their best grade..

I dislike it when people give up and do not try.

There is a huge point in trying as your future depends on it. You do not want the mistake you pay for for the rest of your life to b based on the few hours you spent doing other things when you could of gone for it.

You are talented and extremely clever, your intelligence for computers amazes me. You know things about DVDS and formatting that is so beyond anything i could do..

Your drama is absolutely amazing and I have never been more proud than when i watched you on that stage and i think you will do extremely well for that prctical sam, it was amazing and I admit it (even tho you kissed another girl he he)

If you try, you have given it some you are puttin you out there and you are making it worth it. You want dreams, somethin that will make you happy and do what you always wanna do. Unfortunatly to get there you need to try.

And your future job prospects is worth it.
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:12
Regular
"Excommunicated"
coz ull end up a shelf stacker

muh
Thu 20/05/04 at 13:28
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
the best thing in life is to be able to watch the world go by and know that you are a part in it no matter how small. even when no one wants you you are there and you will always be you. do what you want and what your conscience will allow.
Thu 20/05/04 at 13:18
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
El Pinko wrote:
> Why? For craving the victory? that's not a bad thing. Realising that
> there is no victory, thats the difficult thing.

To ever achieve victory, you need an objective. If you haven't the objective there's no victory to even crave.
Thu 20/05/04 at 12:59
Regular
"Monochromatic"
You need to find a cause or a meaning to your life and ive gone through the same thing of not being able to find anything that is worth it, the only thing i cling to is the idea that i'll find something worth living for, i havent found it yet but i beleive it will be having kids of my own, if that isnt what i'm here for then i dont know what is, nothing i do is for solely myself anymore, i can trace it all back to someone else.
Potential is my saviour and fear of death keeps me alive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.