GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New driving penalties"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/05/04 at 13:33
Regular
"Mmmm...Cheesy Poofs"
Has anyone else heard about these? I can see these being quite a good thing, but MY GOD there are some dangerous drivers out there that just wont care. Has the increase in speed cameras done anything? No. Will this? Probably not, in reality.

Ok, so now we finally have something to distinguish between drivers who just clip over the speed limit accidentally, possibly by 3/4mph, and those maniacs who zoom along the motorway at 120mph and those who speed through residential areas at 70mph. But this isnt the first motion to be brought in concerning trying to stop people driving over the speed limit. The police fairly recently decided it would be a good idea to install a load more speed cameras along dangerous roads. And did this initiative deter people from speeding? No. All it did was generate more income for the police to install more cameras to generate more income to install more cameras ad infinitum.

Even when some people get their licences taken away for speeding, they see it as a good idea to try to drive around anyway, possibly in a spouse's or friend's car, so that they dont get recognised by the police. Oh, but wait, as soon as they get caught for speeding AGAIN, they get fined and put in prison, etc. Do some people never learn?

Umm...no they dont. So this initiative is aimed at stopping speeding altogether. Great, if it works. I tell you what, if we had less people speeding on the roads, there would be less accidents, less deaths, and in general safer roads, obviously. But sadly we do not live in a perfect society. With these new rules, it may well encourage people to speed less , but it wont stop speeding at all. Not even close. What is it now, 12pts on the licence before you get a ban? So theres a bit of leeway for someone to go crazy before they actually start to think about slowing down. And thats only if they get caught. For those that dont get caught, they can carry on as long as they want.

The best line Ive heard on this topic is a quote from a young woman: "I can see me losing my license really quickly." Well, theres only one way to not lose your license. Dont speed . Simple

One of the very few things that stop people speeding is killing someone. Yeah, thats a great way of showing someone the consequences of their stupid actions. But I doubt we will see police speed traps where they throw children out into the road in front of speeding motorists to stop them, it just not practical, we dont have any spare children going around. The government had the right idea when it started showing the video of car crashes and interviews with parents who have lost their children in car crashes to students. If we get them young, we can shock them into driving safely before they start to go off the rails.

But who are the real culprits in all of this? The police? The government? The motorists? No, no, no. Ask yourselves this: Why do car manufacturers make cars that go over the speed limit? Hmm? There is no real answer, apart from to fuel the crime that is speeding. There are speed laws in almost every country, and yet the manufacturers think it is a good idea to make their cars go as fast as possible. And some car showrooms actually cite this as a good feature of a car. What a good idea this is. With such crimes occuring at such an early level of motoring, what chance do we have of stopping speeding? None. And if we try to stop them making faster cars, they have the money to buy the best lawyers in the world, and quash our feeble attempts at justice.

So, great, introduce these new laws and new initiatives to try to cut down speeding, but theyll never work completely, there will always be people who thrash their sports cars around like they own the place. There is no escape from the 'metal death machines'!
Mon 17/05/04 at 19:58
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I need to.
Nothing gets past me, Brian.
Mon 17/05/04 at 19:57
Regular
"cachoo"
English_Bloke wrote:
> I seem to remember something about you in a Ford Ka just after your
> mate had passed his test. What was it? 100, 110 Mph?

You have a good memory.
Mon 17/05/04 at 19:54
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Ms NY wrote:
> Read about it today and shoved a smile on my face. Hope it does work
> out and stop those s**t drivers from speeding.

I seem to remember something about you in a Ford Ka just after your mate had passed his test. What was it? 100, 110 Mph?
Mon 17/05/04 at 19:47
Regular
"cachoo"
Read about it today and shoved a smile on my face. Hope it does work out and stop those s**t drivers from speeding. Almost, or thought I did, got run over the other day by some bloke and his mate in a car who came speeding round a tiny roundabout and ended up on the other side of the road before nearly crashing into another car. Then as I was about to cross - luckily I looked.. - he came speeding, hearing his wheels, etc. He must've been half a metre away from my legs! Git. They'll get what's coming to 'em.
Mon 17/05/04 at 15:56
Regular
"Mmmm...Cheesy Poofs"
Well, of course, in an attempt to make the driving test more difficult they brought in the 'written' test about the highway code, but as one of those people that have done this test, I can say that it doesnt really make it more difficult, I was in and out in 10 mins and got 35/35. It was more of an annoyance than anything.

I agree, they need to concentrate more on the actual practical driving test and definitely introduce the motorway driving element! But they also need to bring in some sort of law saying that you have to take a re-test every 5 years or so or get your licence taken away, its amazing just how many 'bad habits' you can acquire after getting your full licence.
Mon 17/05/04 at 15:47
Regular
Speeding causes death, that's proven, but it is far from being the biggest problem on our roads. In my view the worst problem is irresponsibility and not enough training. Motorway driving is STILL not included on the test. WHY?

People are allowed to go on the motorway, having NEVER driven the car at speed before. This is complete irresponsibility on the part of the driving standards agency.

The test should be far more difficult, and should encompass a whole galaxy of extra considerations. To fly a plane, you have to pass an unbelievably difficult test, but to drive a car .... well, let's just say that a lot of drivers I've seen can't possibly have took any lessons.

Stopping at some lights, last year, a woman was in a red fiesta in front of me, and a bus in front of that. I watched her lean over to get something out of the glovebox, and the car rolled straight into the bus. This sounds funny, but what if someone was walking between the car and bus at the time? broken legs no doubt. People don't take driving seriously, THAT'S the problem. Speeding is just one tiny part of why people are killed on our roads, and these speed cameras are just cash machines for the police force.

Some guy crashed not far from my house the other week, hitting two pedestrians. Neither were killed, but one was seriously injured. He had lost control of his car when he slammed on for a speed camera. now, I'm not saying he was innocent, he shouldn't have been speeding, but how on earth could that, or did that speed camera do anything to help anyone? it didn't create the problem, but it shows that people will speed everywhere until they see a camera, then slow down. so unless you have cameras covering every square centimeter of the UK (which is ridiculous) then it won't work.
Mon 17/05/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
* Grumbles *

Gee, thanks for the reminder

* Goes to write check and send off licence :(
Mon 17/05/04 at 14:04
Regular
"Not a Jew"
dt_brookman wrote:
> One of the very few things that stop people speeding is killing
> someone. Yeah, thats a great way of showing someone the consequences
> of their stupid actions. But I doubt we will see police speed traps
> where they throw children out into the road in front of speeding
> motorists to stop them, it just not practical, we dont have any spare
> children going around.

Go to some of the Special Schools, they'll sort you out.
Mon 17/05/04 at 13:33
Regular
"Mmmm...Cheesy Poofs"
Has anyone else heard about these? I can see these being quite a good thing, but MY GOD there are some dangerous drivers out there that just wont care. Has the increase in speed cameras done anything? No. Will this? Probably not, in reality.

Ok, so now we finally have something to distinguish between drivers who just clip over the speed limit accidentally, possibly by 3/4mph, and those maniacs who zoom along the motorway at 120mph and those who speed through residential areas at 70mph. But this isnt the first motion to be brought in concerning trying to stop people driving over the speed limit. The police fairly recently decided it would be a good idea to install a load more speed cameras along dangerous roads. And did this initiative deter people from speeding? No. All it did was generate more income for the police to install more cameras to generate more income to install more cameras ad infinitum.

Even when some people get their licences taken away for speeding, they see it as a good idea to try to drive around anyway, possibly in a spouse's or friend's car, so that they dont get recognised by the police. Oh, but wait, as soon as they get caught for speeding AGAIN, they get fined and put in prison, etc. Do some people never learn?

Umm...no they dont. So this initiative is aimed at stopping speeding altogether. Great, if it works. I tell you what, if we had less people speeding on the roads, there would be less accidents, less deaths, and in general safer roads, obviously. But sadly we do not live in a perfect society. With these new rules, it may well encourage people to speed less , but it wont stop speeding at all. Not even close. What is it now, 12pts on the licence before you get a ban? So theres a bit of leeway for someone to go crazy before they actually start to think about slowing down. And thats only if they get caught. For those that dont get caught, they can carry on as long as they want.

The best line Ive heard on this topic is a quote from a young woman: "I can see me losing my license really quickly." Well, theres only one way to not lose your license. Dont speed . Simple

One of the very few things that stop people speeding is killing someone. Yeah, thats a great way of showing someone the consequences of their stupid actions. But I doubt we will see police speed traps where they throw children out into the road in front of speeding motorists to stop them, it just not practical, we dont have any spare children going around. The government had the right idea when it started showing the video of car crashes and interviews with parents who have lost their children in car crashes to students. If we get them young, we can shock them into driving safely before they start to go off the rails.

But who are the real culprits in all of this? The police? The government? The motorists? No, no, no. Ask yourselves this: Why do car manufacturers make cars that go over the speed limit? Hmm? There is no real answer, apart from to fuel the crime that is speeding. There are speed laws in almost every country, and yet the manufacturers think it is a good idea to make their cars go as fast as possible. And some car showrooms actually cite this as a good feature of a car. What a good idea this is. With such crimes occuring at such an early level of motoring, what chance do we have of stopping speeding? None. And if we try to stop them making faster cars, they have the money to buy the best lawyers in the world, and quash our feeble attempts at justice.

So, great, introduce these new laws and new initiatives to try to cut down speeding, but theyll never work completely, there will always be people who thrash their sports cars around like they own the place. There is no escape from the 'metal death machines'!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.