GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FOOTBALL IN GENERAL!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/04/01 at 20:52
Regular
With Man United's imminent departure from the most prestigious club event quarter finals, I felt I'd tell you all about football - clearly United can't teach you anything! Only kidding, the match isn't over yet and even if they do go out, they're still the best in England.

Football - it's a fantastic sport, played by many, including myself, and it is easily the most talked about sport in respect to media and television.

There are the triangle leagues where the top team from each gets promoted into the conference. These the Ryman Premier, Dr Martens league, Unibond Premier league - these 3 set-ups also have their own set of 3 leagues.

Obviously, every team wants to play in the Premiership as it is the top flight of English football, but the top 4 divisions are all full of professional sides, whereas The Conference and descending leagues contain mainly semi-professional clubs. Played using your feet primarily (although every other part of the body is allowed – with the exception of the hands and arms (goalkeepers can use their hands obviously) the idea is to score goals against your opposition in a Goal made up of a net & frame. A game is played on a pitch of approximately 105 by 70 metres.

Throughout a season every team in the league play each other 2 times - at home once and away once. The games are played over a period of 90 minutes, with injury time added on if the game has been stopped during the course of the game. Two sides face each other - the FA decides the league fixtures - and the winning team receives 3 points, the losing side 0. In the case of a draw the points are shared, but they only get 1 point each. At the end of a season the team with the most points wins the league! This is an outstanding achievement as it shows that the team is the best in that league. Teams that do particularly well in the premiership, i.e. top 3, will be entered into the Champions League competition for the following season.

The Champions league is the most prestigious competition where all the top European sides face each other on group stages, with the top 2 in each group of 4 (of 8 groups) going into a 2nd group stage of 4 groups and the top 2 of the 4 in each group progressing into a knockout stage. Then the quarters, then the semis, and then the Final – the winner of this is officially the top team in Europe, and are crowned the Champions of Europe!
So it really does pay to get into the Premiership, as it is a way of joining the elite teams in Europe as a side competition.

Refs and many other officials are present to make sure all football is kept within the laws of the game. Players can receive yellow cards for dissent, poor challenges or abusive remarks to other players. If receiving two yellow cards a player will be withdrawn from the game, restricting the team to 10 men. A red card is then shown and the player has to leave the field, much to his or her humiliation. Red cards can be shown straight away without a yellow card if the player has made a particularly poor challenge - in that it was dangerous, and against the rules.

The OFFSIDE rule:

Many people do not grasp the concept that is the offside rule; I do not blame them because it is very complicated, but I'll try to explain it to you as best I can.

If the ball is played forward by your team in the oppositions half (i.e. the way you're shooting) and a player from your team is further forward than any opposition player except the goalkeeper at the time the ball was played forward then an offside flag will be raised, and a free kick given. The player is not offside if he is level with the last defender of the opposition when the ball is played forward to him/her.

There are many formations that teams can play:
The most popular is the 4-4-2 systems. This is of 1goalkeeper, 4defenders, 4midfielders and 2forwards or strikers.
There are also these formations: 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 3-2-5, 4-2-4, 2-3-5, 5-2-3 and 5-4-1. The most popular is the 4-4-2 though.

Football is a fantastic sport, and there is an awful lot of money involved in the game from Sponsorship, TV coverage, interviews, and kit suppliers as well as the huge wages and transfer fees that clubs have to pay.

I think there are some brilliant footballers in England, and although the British and European leagues are mainly for men, there are women's leagues - the World Cup for Women in USA made record attendances when the US women's team won. There are a lot of top women in the sport too.

I highly recommend that you watch a game as they are often incredibly exciting and action packed. If you find football boring then that is your choice, but a lot of people like the game, and it is a highly played sport throughout the world. Football has been described as ‘the beautiful game’ by Pele – one of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen, and has made some true superstars and celebrities. Everyone has heard of David Beckham, one of the greatest Manchester United players in recent history, and I’m sure most people have heard of Maradona – a brilliant footballer from Argentina who took drugs* and infamously scored with his hand on several occasions!
* Drug taking isn’t so much of an issue in today’s game, players know what they have to do, and abide by the rules as much as possible.

Football was invented around 130 years ago, and by the British! But as an international side we aren’t as good as we should be, especially when you consider the quality of football in the premiership and other divisions but over time we’ll improve!
Most football teams have scouts who look around for potential signings and future prospects, coaches who coach and train the side, physiotherapists who obviously try to keep players free from injury by advising them, and, if they get injured, helping them to recover.
Also, there are the managers and a chairman, and board of directors. In today’s world, football is every much a business as it is a sport. It is one of my favourite sports, and it could be yours too! If you’re young and you want to pursue a career in football then you really must train and train and train, because the only way to become the best, to have what it takes to get into a top side is to practise all the time, and get as good as you can: join a local club, get selected for your school, play for the county, and then progress to youth international level and you’ll be scouted by loads of top clubs wanting your signature.

I hope this post has been a very informative source of information to you, feel free to reply with your comments, complain or anything!

Dan2K1
Fri 20/04/01 at 17:14
Pmac wrote:
> sorry dad

Ok son - don't do it again.
Fri 20/04/01 at 17:05
sorry dad
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:58
Careful or you will be thrown out of this forum.
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:53
I will send them each a sheet of course grain sandpaper to give their *** a good chaffing
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:50
Just shows how much help Boro need to get three points. If they stay up they should send Silvinho and Edu a case of bubbly each.
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:47
surely the jokes on the arseolenal then?
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:46
no but it helps
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:46
Pmac wrote:

we did beat the arseolenal
> 3-0 at Highbury, and dont say you forgot as it was only 10 days
> ago.surely Sandman will remember if you do not

Yes, even I was laughing at that one. But you were 2-0 up without even having a shot on target so I don'y think you can take too much credit for that one.

That's Brazilian flair for you.
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:44
Pmac wrote:

we did beat the arseolenal 3-0 at Highbury, and dont say you forgot as it was only 10 days

So your season is all about winning three points then !!
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:44
good call

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.