GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar Tips"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/05/04 at 16:17
Regular
Afternoon.

I've been playing my guitar for a good year now and basically, I am rubbish. Well I can play the simplest things, like easy open chords (C A G E D) and a few other slight variations of them, but in laments terms, I am rubbish. And you know why? Because I tend to try and learn one song, give up, then start learning another, I can never seem to learn a song all the way through. Take for example; Sweet Child o' mine, I can do the intro riff fine without much problem but I generally just give up and keep on repeating the riff all the way through.

Its annoying because I want to learn, but I can never seem to do it. I picked up the tab for "Ash - Burn Baby Burn" today and yes the first few notes are easy to play, but when it comes to playing the verse I just can't seem to get my head around it. Yes, I can't exactly expect to complete the song overnight but the chord pattern for that song is bizarre, I can never keep my fingers in a chord shape when its fast playing.

So I was wondering, is there any tips you people can give me to improve my ability to learn music, I want to be decent on the intstrument, but I never seem to really do anything that interesting. On a usual day i'll just pick up my guitar, turn my amp on and make some crappy power chord riff out of like 2 chords, play the intro to "bombtrack", play the intro to Sweet child o Mine, make some other stupid riff out of my head, then put it down again.

Its stupid and annoying, So anyway, can anyone give me some tips/reccomend any not to hard songs?

Cheers.
Fri 14/05/04 at 00:01
Regular
"~a Libertine~"
triggerhappyrocker wrote:
chuck in a solo or two, add an intro/outro as required and
> you're sorted. Then find a vocalist to write/sing some lyrics for it,
> recruit a bassist to play the riffs in single note form and get a
> drummer, make an E.P., get signed, go on tour, er ok, ive gone too
> far now......

lol
Thu 13/05/04 at 22:51
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
That's so true about that tabs thing. Tried finding a guitar tab of a song called Thorns Of Desolation a while ago which is by this obscure band called Graveworm, and anyway, it's actually played out on bagpipes believe it or not, and I just thought "it'd be so cool to be able to play that on guitar". And after many hours of searching, I concluded no one had tabbed it, but I think I'm gonna have a go myself which should either help my ear or completely destroy my confidence...
Thu 13/05/04 at 22:29
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I used to have a major problem with this, and still do, to an extent - though before it was largely because there are no complete tabs for the kind of songs I listen to. Got over that by spending the time working them out myself, and also working on scales, modes and the like. Really, it's worth it, I fidn it much more rewarding now to pick up a guitar and twiddle a bit than play someone else's music over and over again..
Thu 13/05/04 at 21:26
Regular
I pretty much know the intro to Enter Sandman :P

Ok, I'll have a butchers at Bolmbtrack.
Thu 13/05/04 at 20:12
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Try the rhythm from Enter Sandman. It's not in the least hard but it varies enough to keep it interesting and fun to play.
Thu 13/05/04 at 19:48
Regular
"lets go back"
I had the sme problem about a year ago. I just learn the main riff of a song then cant be bothered learning all the bits in between. Its annoying because i cant play a song all the way through.

The way i solved it was to get a Bass guitar so now i only have to play the one repetetive riff over and over and i let my mate play all the good stuff on his guitar.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:19
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
You said that you hardly ever play a song all the way through: you never will if you dont try! With Sweet Child of Mine the verse is just three chords (D,C,G(,D)), the chorus is pretty much the same as the intro, and the only other parts are the two melodic bits and the solo (which is actually a lot easier than ir sounds). You also mentioned R.A.T.M's bombtrack: if you can play the intro then you would definitely be able to do the rest of the song, its basically just two riffs (one for the verse and one for the chorus), a break (which is just a variation of the riff) and a solo. Have a look on this website if you need the tab for it: [URL]http://www.mxtabs.net/guitartabs.php[/URL] In general if you dont like the rest of a song apart from the riff/intro, simple: write your own songs! Just mess about on a scale or play around with some chords till you make up a riff for a verse, do the same for the chorus, chuck in a solo or two, add an intro/outro as required and you're sorted. Then find a vocalist to write/sing some lyrics for it, recruit a bassist to play the riffs in single note form and get a drummer, make an E.P., get signed, go on tour, er ok, ive gone too far now......
Thu 13/05/04 at 16:17
Regular
Afternoon.

I've been playing my guitar for a good year now and basically, I am rubbish. Well I can play the simplest things, like easy open chords (C A G E D) and a few other slight variations of them, but in laments terms, I am rubbish. And you know why? Because I tend to try and learn one song, give up, then start learning another, I can never seem to learn a song all the way through. Take for example; Sweet Child o' mine, I can do the intro riff fine without much problem but I generally just give up and keep on repeating the riff all the way through.

Its annoying because I want to learn, but I can never seem to do it. I picked up the tab for "Ash - Burn Baby Burn" today and yes the first few notes are easy to play, but when it comes to playing the verse I just can't seem to get my head around it. Yes, I can't exactly expect to complete the song overnight but the chord pattern for that song is bizarre, I can never keep my fingers in a chord shape when its fast playing.

So I was wondering, is there any tips you people can give me to improve my ability to learn music, I want to be decent on the intstrument, but I never seem to really do anything that interesting. On a usual day i'll just pick up my guitar, turn my amp on and make some crappy power chord riff out of like 2 chords, play the intro to "bombtrack", play the intro to Sweet child o Mine, make some other stupid riff out of my head, then put it down again.

Its stupid and annoying, So anyway, can anyone give me some tips/reccomend any not to hard songs?

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.