GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back up chips"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/04/01 at 12:49
Regular
Has any one seen or heard of back up chips, alledgedly a chip will allow you to no only take backups of your games and use them to save on damaging the origanal but will also allow you to play the various region DVD's fantastic but how can I get one ?
Sat 28/04/01 at 18:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
In PSW they have a article about chipping and its says that even though a PS2 is chipped it cant play import games, you cant play Region 1 DVD's. You also need a boot disk to run the copied games and the games you buy may not even be the proper game. They strongly disagree with it and from what I have read I would NOT chip my PS2. I have got a PS1 chipped and use a DC boot disc for dreamcast games so iam not saying dont chip it becuase of the moral, iam saying dont chip the PS2 as its not safe at all. I think at the moment the PS2 is a pretty pirate proof system, which is good.
Sat 28/04/01 at 13:15
Regular
I`ve never risked chipping. Probably never will.
Tue 24/04/01 at 00:30
"High polygon count"
Not 100% sure about prosecution, but Sony certainly won't repair a machine that has been chipped.

It has also been reported that some of the chips have a tendency to explode or melt, destroying the PS2 in the process.
Mon 23/04/01 at 23:23
Iv heard that if you have your ps2 chipped and it breaks down you cant get it fixed because they dont know how to fix it and you cant send it back either because if sony or whoever check the inside and find out its been chipped you could get prosecuted is this true please reply thanks
Thu 19/04/01 at 19:45
Regular
yup

Until I bought a multi-region dvd, I used my pc dvd drive and tv-out card for region 1 discs.

The news gets worse however, as some new american dvd disc have 'enhanced regional encoding' which is supposed to prevent their use in multiregion players. Doesn't seem fair really !

Thu 19/04/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I thought it would have. I know that currently you cant play region 1's as I tried a a region 1 DVD while I was round my friends house. It loaded up like it was going to play but it said " this is not a correct region disk" or something to that effect.
Wed 18/04/01 at 23:52
Regular
I'm afraid chipping a psx2 wont allow you to play region 1 dvds. You'd be better off buying a cheap multi region player for 1-200 quid.

Also, once you've had your £10 chip installed you also need to buy a bootdisc. Currently the Action Replay 2 (version1.3) disc can act as a boot disc (a 'snip' at 30 quid). However driver upgrades from Sony are thought to be aimed at preventing this.

Wed 18/04/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Here are the pros and cons to getting a chip in the PS2

Pros:
1. Play any game and DVD from any where in the world, meaning that you can import all the latest games and DVDs before they land on our shores.

2. You can get copied games for it meaning that you dont have to shell out £40 but instead maybe £5-£10.

Cons:
1. Its a illegal, if your PS2 is under warranty and it breaks and you have at any ponit had the chip installed. Sony will not repleace it. So your left with no £300 console, they might even prosecute you for having it chipped.

2. You need to find a chip first. They are avaiable from some low profile mail order shops which you will need to locate either in the back of magazines or search on the internet. As the chips are illegal you cant walk into your local EB shop and ask for one. If you get one from mail order you can either fit it yourself, which wouldnt be to hard if you knew what you are doing. Go to a back street games shop were you would have to ask casually whether they do that sort of thing. Or if you know a mate that does this thing for a pass time to earn money or a full time job.

3. Getting the DVDs are easy as there are many shops and internet sites that sell DVDs from America to England for about £20-£25, maybe cheaper. But the games are a different story.If you want imports than they can be easily got from an import shop and they may cost £50- £60 depending on the game, but copies are harder to get. First you need to be able to know someone who can deliver copied games as this is why you bought the chip for. This person or shop needs to be very reliable as some games tend not to work so you can easly be ripped off. I have never seen them selling copied games in shops, they might do in the back streets of the major cities where you could ask. Making copies of your games is legal but you are only allowed to make one copy and you must own the proper orignal game. If you want to back up your own games you will need a CD writer for your PC. The software needed will need to be able to get around all the software protection which is put onto the disks. As you may have noticed some games for the PS2 are DVDs which pose an even greater threat. The DVD writers are expensive and the blank disks are also expensive maybe about £15 - £20 I am not too sure. The writers are also very slow so if you wanted to write it you would have to take about 2 hours for the 4.7Gb disks and about 8 hours for the biggest DVD disks. All these times depend on the speed of the writer. So this can make DVD copied games very expensive and I am not sure whether anybody has copied a DVD at all.

I must admit that I have my orginal PS1 chipped and it hasnt gone wrong at all, I have many copied games for it but I was lucky as I knew someone who did it all. If you dont know somebody then it can be a risk as they can easly have duff copies. I have had a few duff copies for the PS1 and DC but becuase I knew the person I could get a different game or my money back. I also have a disk for the DC which lets me swap disks and play copies.

Getting the cheap games is good as you can afford to buy more with your money. But it is all risky if you dont know the people to do it. It also makes your warrenty void so if it goes wrong you will need to shell out another £300 for the console.

If you want a chip because you can play all DVDs then get a multi region DVD player from SR. If you want to get backups of your games so you dont ruin the orginals then you dont need a chip as you should look after your games. I have got games which are 5-6 years old with no scratches or finger print makes on them, so they work perfectly.

If you still want a chip then prepared to be ripped off by some people , your PS2 may stop working and you might be left with a few hundred £'s worth of copied games and Region 1 DVD's which you cant play.

I didnt want to put you off but this is the harsh facts of it. If you dont care about your PS2 as you are a millionaire and you can afford it all then chip it, but if you dont want to end up with a broke PS2 then dont as its not worth it. If you know the people who can sort you out with it all then you should think about chipping but if you know nobody then dont.
Wed 18/04/01 at 12:49
Has any one seen or heard of back up chips, alledgedly a chip will allow you to no only take backups of your games and use them to save on damaging the origanal but will also allow you to play the various region DVD's fantastic but how can I get one ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.