GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cannot get my lappie to use internet connection sharing?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 19:11
Regular
My setup comprises of my P4 2.8 Rig being used as a sort of Server which i run my cable modem into and have all the firewall and stuff on, My Athlon64 rig is connected to it via Cat5 cable and uses internet connection sharing, I have a PCMCIA wireless card in my lappie and a USB wireless thingy in my server, I can get the lappie to connect to the network and see the server but i cannot for the life of me get the lappie to work on the internet connection sharing, i have run out of idea and thought an external view on it might help.

Cheers

Colin
Tue 11/05/04 at 19:11
Regular
My setup comprises of my P4 2.8 Rig being used as a sort of Server which i run my cable modem into and have all the firewall and stuff on, My Athlon64 rig is connected to it via Cat5 cable and uses internet connection sharing, I have a PCMCIA wireless card in my lappie and a USB wireless thingy in my server, I can get the lappie to connect to the network and see the server but i cannot for the life of me get the lappie to work on the internet connection sharing, i have run out of idea and thought an external view on it might help.

Cheers

Colin
Tue 11/05/04 at 19:44
Regular
"bing bang bong"
On your server, is internet sharing enabled on the wireless network adaptor? If you do 'ipconfig' on the laptop, what is the result? What about if you do it on the server?
Tue 11/05/04 at 20:17
Regular
I think you have some bridging to do.

Have you input the IP Address for the Network Adapter on your laptop or have you allowed it to be assigned automatically. Sometimes my Network Device on my laptop only lets me connect when i let the computer assign its own IP Address'.

Are your Wireless NIC's on the same channels and are you using 'Windows Zero Config'

Wireless Devices are generally a real pain in the bum to setup.
Tue 11/05/04 at 20:30
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Just an addition, but on my AdHoc Network, I had to tell the Laptop that the gateway to the Internet = IP of my PC.
Tue 11/05/04 at 20:30
Regular
"Nobody Home"
and ya also wanna make sure it aint ur firewall blocking it.
Wed 12/05/04 at 18:23
Regular
danieldone wrote:
> Just an addition, but on my AdHoc Network, I had to tell the Laptop
> that the gateway to the Internet = IP of my PC.

Good point.

Make sure the IP of the server is the Gateway.
Wed 12/05/04 at 19:39
Regular
Cheers for the help guys but i have worked it out, my PCMCIA NIC is faulty, i hate those weird faults like that.

Colin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.