GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No way! Dungeons and Dragons on DVD!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 10:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=149381&p=57&c=&g=72[/URL]

£22.99 for every episode ever made, but it comes out in September. They've got series on and two for sale already. How many series were there?
Wed 12/05/04 at 07:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Fooly Cooly wrote:
> Did the kids ever get home?
> No, although they came close 5 times

Damn, I thought it was amost each and every alternate episode they found a gate between worlds.
Tue 11/05/04 at 22:09
Regular
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/ [SPACE] showthread.php?p=1108820#post1108820

Some screencaps of the DVD if anyones interested. Fan commentaries on two of the episodes? Should be interesting.
Tue 11/05/04 at 21:57
Regular
I was bored so I spent a couple of minutes finding this info to answer anyones questions (also I enjoyed the show and wanted to find out more ^^);

Dungeons and Dragons (1983-1985) 27 episodes

Hank is 'The Ranger'
Diana is 'The Acrobat'
Eric is 'The Cavalier'
Shiela is 'The Thief'
Bobby is 'The Barbarian'
Presto is 'The Magician'

Did the kids ever get home?
No, although they came close 5 times

How did the series end?
It didn't it was cancelled in the midle of the third season. A final episode was written but never produced. [URL]
http://www.mindspring.com/%7Emichaelreaves/D&Dpreface.html
[/URL] to read what the writer has to say and [URL]
http://www.mindspring.com/%7Emichaelreaves/Requiem.htm
[/URL] to read the screenplay of the final episode.

Why was it cancelled?
Mainly because of falling ratings and it was felt that the 3rd season wasnt as good as the others. It had nothing to do with parents (or religious nuts) complaining about the show being satanic. Infact most of the complaints from parents were about the commercial aspect of the show. Althought I dont think TSR was selling anything in the UK like other shows such as Transformers, Thundercats etc.

I heard there was going to be a sequal
Originally there was a 4th series in the works that would have the kids (minus weapons and Uni) go to another world with DM being a female. It was going to be based more on oriental adventures to promote TSR games at the time but there were problems at TSR so the series was never produced.

Is Venger DM's son?
According to Mark Evanier and Kathy Selbert, who wrote for the show, it was never specifically written in the series "bible" that he was. According to Gary Gygax, who helped create the concept, yes. According to Michael Reaves, who wrote "Dragon's Graveyard" in which DM calls V his "son," and whose unproduced final script confirms it, yes.

Is Dungeons and Dragons out on DVD anywhere else?
No, currently the UK is the only country selling the DVDs. Should they do well more 80ies cartoons are likely to be released such as Pole Position, Thundercats, Denver the Last Dinosaur, Galaxy High, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc.
Tue 11/05/04 at 18:11
Regular
"Whatever!"
Cant remember how many episodes there were. I picked up Volume 1 yesterday - Its one of my favourite series of all time and watching it again just brings all the old memories flooding back. Brilliant series!
Tue 11/05/04 at 15:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The pixies shouldn't have been there...
Tue 11/05/04 at 15:31
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I also hated the episode where they end up at the Dragons' graveyard and all the "gangs" powers are magnified, whilst Vengar's powers are discombobulated or weakened if the word which I pretend to know the meaning of is being used in the wrong context. Thet have Vengar trapped and that guy with the bow only needs to shot him to rid the world of his evil menance and yet he doesn't claiming "It would make us worse than he is". Of course Vengar then went and tortured to death 500 innocent pixies but hey at least the dumb pacifistic moralistic Dungeoners can sleep peacefully at night.
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:44
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Always prefered Thundercats and Ulysses 31 (being a massive fan of Greek mythology) myself. Still, apart from the whining that seemed to happ.......

Hold on. Hold on just one minute.

Dungeon master - annoying
The coward cavalier - annoying
The crap wizard - annoying
Uni - annoying
the kid which all he did was hit the ground - annoying
The Invisible beatch - ~Hey baby~.
the athletic black lass - ~Hey Baby~ (in a more dirty way, after all, all she wore was a furry bikini)
Tiamat - coolest dragon ever
Vengar - A bit crap at killing all these useless kids.
[edit],thanks sagacious, missed this idiot the guy with the bow - Fred from Scooby Doo, with a plasma bow that never seems to do owt.

Hmmmmmmmm.
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Sacrilege! *froths*
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:00
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Dungeon Master was Venger's brother (little known fact)

I hated Dungeon Master and I also hated Uni. The character not the institution. This wizard geek was a wazuk too.

Loved Tiamat though.
Tue 11/05/04 at 13:01
Regular
"Selected"
this show was really.......really.......really....................crap.

*dead*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.