GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DeadMetal presents: SmackDown-The "B" Show (Long)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/05/04 at 19:16
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
When the roster split took place in 2002 (which saw wrestlers move to specific show's, in this case, RAW & Smackdown), I was generally suprised at this move. Sure there was too many wrestlers when the WWE (or WWF back at the time) bought WCW and ECW, but still, it would cancel many great rivalries which had taken years to build up. It just seemed weird at the time, but one thing did cross my mind, would one show became inferior to the other?

In 2003, Smackdown was the better show, with superstars like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar giving great matches, along guys like
John Cena and The Undertaker providing some truly great mic performances, it was a good time to be a WWE fan. But in late 2003, the show began to fall, it was only after the Royal Rumble that the real impact would begin. When Benoit moved to RAW, I wondered what would happen to Smackdown, sure it was only one wrestler, but he was pretty important to the show. However, it was No way Out 2004 which really
shocked me.

For a start, I wanted to see Kurt Angle at WMXX, his match with Lesnar the previous year was very good, and when Angle won the Triple
Threat Match against Cena and The Big Show, I was actually looking forward to the main event. It was the final match of the NWO which
annoyed me. In my opinion, at the time, I could never see Eddie Guerrero winning the WWE Title (Probably the most famous title in the company) from a wrestler like Brock Lesnar, but after that match, I knew I was wrong. Sure Guerrero may not be as big as Lesnar, but at least it would be nice to see Angle turn heel again, and have a match which wouldn't result in a career ending state.

But the week before WMXX, things changed. For a start, Lesnar quit the company. At the time, I didn't mind. I didn't like Lesnar, I didn't like
how he came from no where and destroyed everyone in his path, but Lesnar was the biggest heel, and show without a decent heel, isn't going to
work. At WMXX, the Guerrero Vs. Angle match was a good one, it was a shame that Angle had to take time off, but one the plus side, The Undertaker returned that night, so Smackdown would benefit from one of the most popular superstars in the business.

When the "Roster lottery" took place, I was happy to see Triple H picked for Smackdown. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Triple H, but at least it was a pretty big heel wrestler moving to the show. But Triple H didn't stay, instead the show got four other wrestlers in a trade (them being RVD, Booker T & The Dudley Boyz), on the same night, Kurt Angle was announced as the new GM, but why? I know Kurt Angle's neck is pretty bad, but he is not suited for the job, he's a wrestler, not a on-screen booker.

To wrap it up is this month's Smackdown exclusive PPV "Judgement Day". It's main event is the WWE Title match between Eddie Guerrero &
John "Bradshaw" Leyfield. Good god in heaven why. JBL has spent the last five years as a beer chugging, cigar smoking, gambing redneck
character, he is now the show's top heel. He can't wrestle well (except in total squash matches) and on the mic, he still sounds like a beer
chugging redneck.

Smackdown was at one point, one of (if not the) the best shows the WWF/WWE had, it has now been classified as some wrestlers put it, "The B
Show". The show is in need of a serious revamp. It has now come to the point where one of the best wrestlers one the show, is "in" a wheelchair,
it's at a point where the show's main heel, has spent the last five years playing poker, it has come to the point where Booker T (a 5 time WCW
champion) is visiting fortune tellers in order to boast storylines. It's a shame that WWE officials seem to be neglecting the show, it's got talent and potential, but the main question is, will it be too late for the WWE to realise this?
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:03
Regular
"..."
Smackdown would be greatly improved by moving some guys who have stagnated on Raw across, Christian and Chris Jericho spring to mind (okay their feud is great, but where do they both go when it's finished?). A simple redistribution of the talent will even things out star-power wise. The creative side is a little bit trickier, although I am quite entertained by the chemistry between Rico and Haas (who is playing a great americanised 'jock')
Tue 11/05/04 at 12:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Rumour has it that Benoit and Edge were transferred to Raw because Triple H wanted to work with them. Something to ponder on perhaps.

Anyway, I can't see Smackdown improving even when Angle does come back. There is a distinct lack of draws on that show and pushing lumps like Bradshaw and Big Show helps no one. I think Smackdown's prime was when Paul Heyman was writing the show. He pushed the right guys and focused on the wrestling.
Tue 11/05/04 at 07:46
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
Grandprix wrote:
> Smackdown is now the inferior show. It wasn't though. It blew Raw out
> of the water. Smackdown was the show that had the great wrestling and
> Raw had the supressed main eventers midcarding and suffering while
> Triple H steamrollered his way through any wrestler with a bit of
> credibility.

True, it was only when Goldberg turned up that Triple H's reign as the top guy looked like it was slowly coming to an end. This was when Smackdown was the better show.

> How things have changed with just the simple move of Benoit and to a
> lesser extent, the departure of Brock. Raw has been tranformed into a
> show with momentum, building around the champion and the midcard has
> life breathing through it. Has it all happened because of the WWE
> finally pushing someone other than Triple H on Raw? Benoit has proven
> what a good champ he is and Raw is one of the best shows at the
> moment.

I would of prefered Benoit to stay. Sure, he could of defended a title in his home town at Backlash, but Benoit at the time, was a major babyface (Kurt Angle & Eddie Guerrero being the others) and him moving, would only leave two left to take on Brock. Where RAW has many Babyfaces that have already been secured in fan's mind's, Smackdown had two major ones, and loads of Mid-Card ones who will take a while to get settled in.

> However, on the reverse side, Smackdown has hit a slump. The rosters
> was unevenly balanced at the start but Angle, Eddie and Benoit made
> it worth watching. Things change and Smackdown has become a shadow of
> itself. Everyone on there knows it's the back up show and with Angle
> on the shelf until Summerslam, Brock's departure and Big Show's
> injury (although we are better off without him), Eddie has to
> single-handedly carry the main event load, someone who has never had
> to do that before. Credit to him because I think he's done a good
> job.

I said it before, but I totally regret it. I never thought Eddie could deliver, but he is a very entertaining champion. He does lack a decent rival on the show though.

> Smackdown = Weak main event, weak storylines, talent wasted.
> Raw = Strong main event, overloaded midcard, a few talented ones
> wasted.

What I said before, but shorter : ).

> To be honest, the roster is not working anymore. Sure, there are too
> many wrestlers but if the WWE forcibly share the time and perhaps
> even increase the show length by 15/30 minutes, the problem might be
> resolved. As it is, Smackdown will just continue to decline as
> management seems to not care about it.

True, with current storylines, the WWE will have to learn the hard way with "Judgement Day" PPV's low buys in the states. Maybe then the WWE will realise how bad to show has gotten, and how it need some serious help.

> About Brock Lesnar, he was pushed way too early and got totally
> exposed by wrestlers with average and questionable ability. He won
> the title too early when they could have built his character up
> better. In my opinion, he only got better when he worked with the top
> talent and learned from them. Brock certainly won't be remembered in
> my eyes as the best wrestler in the WWE.
>
> Well, that was a rather sleepy, disjointed attempt at a post. Oh
> well, there might be something in there for some of you.
Tue 11/05/04 at 00:53
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Smackdown is now the inferior show. It wasn't though. It blew Raw out of the water. Smackdown was the show that had the great wrestling and Raw had the supressed main eventers midcarding and suffering while Triple H steamrollered his way through any wrestler with a bit of credibility.

How things have changed with just the simple move of Benoit and to a lesser extent, the departure of Brock. Raw has been tranformed into a show with momentum, building around the champion and the midcard has life breathing through it. Has it all happened because of the WWE finally pushing someone other than Triple H on Raw? Benoit has proven what a good champ he is and Raw is one of the best shows at the moment.

However, on the reverse side, Smackdown has hit a slump. The rosters was unevenly balanced at the start but Angle, Eddie and Benoit made it worth watching. Things change and Smackdown has become a shadow of itself. Everyone on there knows it's the back up show and with Angle on the shelf until Summerslam, Brock's departure and Big Show's injury (although we are better off without him), Eddie has to single-handedly carry the main event load, someone who has never had to do that before. Credit to him because I think he's done a good job.

Smackdown = Weak main event, weak storylines, talent wasted.
Raw = Strong main event, overloaded midcard, a few talented ones wasted.

To be honest, the roster is not working anymore. Sure, there are too many wrestlers but if the WWE forcibly share the time and perhaps even increase the show length by 15/30 minutes, the problem might be resolved. As it is, Smackdown will just continue to decline as management seems to not care about it.

About Brock Lesnar, he was pushed way too early and got totally exposed by wrestlers with average and questionable ability. He won the title too early when they could have built his character up better. In my opinion, he only got better when he worked with the top talent and learned from them. Brock certainly won't be remembered in my eyes as the best wrestler in the WWE.

Well, that was a rather sleepy, disjointed attempt at a post. Oh well, there might be something in there for some of you.
Mon 10/05/04 at 22:30
Regular
"I like cheese"
It probably is already too late, Smackdown has been receiving the lowest ratings in it's history these past few weeks.

I think the trigger cause was Lesnar leaving. In my view he was fantastic and the best thing Smackdown had, in terms of starpower and especially in terms of heels. When he left, the heart of Smackdown left.

There's basic creative problems too. I'm a huge fan of Charlie Haas, but he and Rico as tag team champions over Scotty and Rikishi? The Dudleys in main events? Chavo losing the title to JACQUELINE? BRADSHAW!?

Who knows what Smackdown is going to do to bring back ratings. I try my best to watch all the matches on RAW and Smackdown, but I found myself changing the channel during last week's Smackdown main event. I very much doubt I will bother to stay up to watch Judgment Day, and I very much doubt that Smackdown can win back the fans with its current roster.
Mon 10/05/04 at 19:16
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
When the roster split took place in 2002 (which saw wrestlers move to specific show's, in this case, RAW & Smackdown), I was generally suprised at this move. Sure there was too many wrestlers when the WWE (or WWF back at the time) bought WCW and ECW, but still, it would cancel many great rivalries which had taken years to build up. It just seemed weird at the time, but one thing did cross my mind, would one show became inferior to the other?

In 2003, Smackdown was the better show, with superstars like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar giving great matches, along guys like
John Cena and The Undertaker providing some truly great mic performances, it was a good time to be a WWE fan. But in late 2003, the show began to fall, it was only after the Royal Rumble that the real impact would begin. When Benoit moved to RAW, I wondered what would happen to Smackdown, sure it was only one wrestler, but he was pretty important to the show. However, it was No way Out 2004 which really
shocked me.

For a start, I wanted to see Kurt Angle at WMXX, his match with Lesnar the previous year was very good, and when Angle won the Triple
Threat Match against Cena and The Big Show, I was actually looking forward to the main event. It was the final match of the NWO which
annoyed me. In my opinion, at the time, I could never see Eddie Guerrero winning the WWE Title (Probably the most famous title in the company) from a wrestler like Brock Lesnar, but after that match, I knew I was wrong. Sure Guerrero may not be as big as Lesnar, but at least it would be nice to see Angle turn heel again, and have a match which wouldn't result in a career ending state.

But the week before WMXX, things changed. For a start, Lesnar quit the company. At the time, I didn't mind. I didn't like Lesnar, I didn't like
how he came from no where and destroyed everyone in his path, but Lesnar was the biggest heel, and show without a decent heel, isn't going to
work. At WMXX, the Guerrero Vs. Angle match was a good one, it was a shame that Angle had to take time off, but one the plus side, The Undertaker returned that night, so Smackdown would benefit from one of the most popular superstars in the business.

When the "Roster lottery" took place, I was happy to see Triple H picked for Smackdown. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Triple H, but at least it was a pretty big heel wrestler moving to the show. But Triple H didn't stay, instead the show got four other wrestlers in a trade (them being RVD, Booker T & The Dudley Boyz), on the same night, Kurt Angle was announced as the new GM, but why? I know Kurt Angle's neck is pretty bad, but he is not suited for the job, he's a wrestler, not a on-screen booker.

To wrap it up is this month's Smackdown exclusive PPV "Judgement Day". It's main event is the WWE Title match between Eddie Guerrero &
John "Bradshaw" Leyfield. Good god in heaven why. JBL has spent the last five years as a beer chugging, cigar smoking, gambing redneck
character, he is now the show's top heel. He can't wrestle well (except in total squash matches) and on the mic, he still sounds like a beer
chugging redneck.

Smackdown was at one point, one of (if not the) the best shows the WWF/WWE had, it has now been classified as some wrestlers put it, "The B
Show". The show is in need of a serious revamp. It has now come to the point where one of the best wrestlers one the show, is "in" a wheelchair,
it's at a point where the show's main heel, has spent the last five years playing poker, it has come to the point where Booker T (a 5 time WCW
champion) is visiting fortune tellers in order to boast storylines. It's a shame that WWE officials seem to be neglecting the show, it's got talent and potential, but the main question is, will it be too late for the WWE to realise this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.