GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Black and White - A reflection"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/01 at 10:35
Regular
It’s been over a week of almost solid play now (band and girlfriend and work rudely intrude now and then), so it’s been time to form a more solid opinion of this game.

Does it still rock? Does it still stun me with features and game-play? Oh yes indeedy.
Every time I play this thing, it still makes me glad I waited 3 years for this, unique touches and spins such as:
There’s a programme you can run in the directory called “Weather .exe”, and whenever you log on, for anything at all, it checks and downloads the weather patterns for your area.
Playing Sunday afternoon, raining in game, checked out the window and, sure enough, it was raining.

Simple little ideas that make this one stand head and shoulders above the rest of titles out there. You can configure your email account so that the villagers are named after your address book, and incoming email (when online) is notified by a villager telling you you’ve got mail.
And, this is the spookiest thing, it said my name last night.
I thought I was going mad, but I heard my name whispered. It has a database of names, and if yours matches one of them, occasionally it whispers your name at you.
Freaky.

Bobo The Chimp is now 16yrs old, has grown considerably and retains battle scars from early encounters. Took him on-line where he met Your Honour’s creature.
They saw each other, danced and laughed, then kissed and ran about together. Bobo does this a lot, he thinks he’s in Flashdance or something. He loves to poop in villages and throw it at children.

What else does Bobo do?
He still retains a pathological hatred of cows. I don’t know where he got this from, but they are his sworn enemy and he will spend ages tracking them down, smiting them with rocks, setting them on fire or just kicking them into the sea. When he then dances and laughs.

The big thing is how you decide to play.
Good or Evil, it doesn’t matter, you can get by either way.
I was good, aligned with the angels and being nice.
Until Island 2.

I was trying my best, but the villagers kept moaning “More food, more buildings, more wood” and wouldn’t shut up, wouldn’t leave me alone to get on with things.
So I visited my wrath upon them.
Sacrificed 3 kids and they stopped moaning for a while.
It’s amazing how seeing your children get offered up to the god (me) will make you think twice before complaining for things.
Bobo is still aligned with good, but my hand has become gnarly and reddish in colour, my temple more pointed and evil looking.

What can I say?
I had enough of the villager’s whinging and moaning, I’d done everything for them and they still weren’t happy.
So I killed some…well…lots of them.
And now they work faster than before with no complaints.
My monkey will happily feed them, water their crops etc, but if they start grumbling?
Into the sea with 5 or 6, a couple of kids into the sacrifice bowl and a fireball or two into the neighbouring village soon sorts that out.

I am a raging God of Wrath and Fury, but my how those minions toil for me.
It does make you feel powerful, to be able to pick one up and set him down to be a farmer, or throw him over the heads of the others to gain respect and worship.

Lovely.

So whilst Bobo continues his one-chimp mission of mercy, Goatboy hovers waiting for the 1st sign of dissent before unleashing a beatdown of Biblical proportions.
What a fantastic game.
Tue 17/04/01 at 10:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It’s been over a week of almost solid play now (band and girlfriend and work rudely intrude now and then), so it’s been time to form a more solid opinion of this game.

Does it still rock? Does it still stun me with features and game-play? Oh yes indeedy.
Every time I play this thing, it still makes me glad I waited 3 years for this, unique touches and spins such as:
There’s a programme you can run in the directory called “Weather .exe”, and whenever you log on, for anything at all, it checks and downloads the weather patterns for your area.
Playing Sunday afternoon, raining in game, checked out the window and, sure enough, it was raining.

Simple little ideas that make this one stand head and shoulders above the rest of titles out there. You can configure your email account so that the villagers are named after your address book, and incoming email (when online) is notified by a villager telling you you’ve got mail.
And, this is the spookiest thing, it said my name last night.
I thought I was going mad, but I heard my name whispered. It has a database of names, and if yours matches one of them, occasionally it whispers your name at you.
Freaky.

Bobo The Chimp is now 16yrs old, has grown considerably and retains battle scars from early encounters. Took him on-line where he met Your Honour’s creature.
They saw each other, danced and laughed, then kissed and ran about together. Bobo does this a lot, he thinks he’s in Flashdance or something. He loves to poop in villages and throw it at children.

What else does Bobo do?
He still retains a pathological hatred of cows. I don’t know where he got this from, but they are his sworn enemy and he will spend ages tracking them down, smiting them with rocks, setting them on fire or just kicking them into the sea. When he then dances and laughs.

The big thing is how you decide to play.
Good or Evil, it doesn’t matter, you can get by either way.
I was good, aligned with the angels and being nice.
Until Island 2.

I was trying my best, but the villagers kept moaning “More food, more buildings, more wood” and wouldn’t shut up, wouldn’t leave me alone to get on with things.
So I visited my wrath upon them.
Sacrificed 3 kids and they stopped moaning for a while.
It’s amazing how seeing your children get offered up to the god (me) will make you think twice before complaining for things.
Bobo is still aligned with good, but my hand has become gnarly and reddish in colour, my temple more pointed and evil looking.

What can I say?
I had enough of the villager’s whinging and moaning, I’d done everything for them and they still weren’t happy.
So I killed some…well…lots of them.
And now they work faster than before with no complaints.
My monkey will happily feed them, water their crops etc, but if they start grumbling?
Into the sea with 5 or 6, a couple of kids into the sacrifice bowl and a fireball or two into the neighbouring village soon sorts that out.

I am a raging God of Wrath and Fury, but my how those minions toil for me.
It does make you feel powerful, to be able to pick one up and set him down to be a farmer, or throw him over the heads of the others to gain respect and worship.

Lovely.

So whilst Bobo continues his one-chimp mission of mercy, Goatboy hovers waiting for the 1st sign of dissent before unleashing a beatdown of Biblical proportions.
What a fantastic game.
Tue 17/04/01 at 12:30
"possibly impossible"
Does anyone actually NOT like B&W?
Tue 17/04/01 at 12:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why?
Tue 17/04/01 at 12:39
"High polygon count"
I bought a new graphics card over the Easter weekend (I know, I said I wasn't going to, but...), as B&W didn't run on the Voodoo Banshee I had.

I borrowed a friends copy of B&W to try it out. Have to admit, it *is* a good game as far as God-sims go, but it's not my 'cup of tea' and I got bored of it fairly quickly.

Anyway all was not lost, as I also bought Project IGI (which again didn't run on my Banshee card) and am having lots of fun with that - it's awesome!
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, I'm a bit keen on that one, although I hear the AI is pretty dubious and there's no save during missions?

Is it worth getting?
I've got No One Lives Forever and that is the danglies.
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:05
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Someone please answer this question (and I know I work here and all), but is Black & White coming out on the PS2? I really want to play it but I don't do PC games. Let me know if you hear anything, all I know of at the moment is a PSone and Dreamcast version, and I think even a Game Boy version. How can they not release a PS2 version?
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:08
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah, I'm a bit keen on that one, although I hear the AI is pretty
> dubious and there's no save during missions?

The AI is a bit odd; you can shoot someone on one side of and area, and someone on the other side and in plain sight doesn't seem to notice! Yet a guy on a watchtower seems to notice you even when he's not looking through his scope!

And no, there's no saving during the mission; I didn't like the idea at first, but it makes the game much more tense, and you really have to think about it from the 'stealth' perspective.

But none of this takes away any enjoyment from the game, IMHO, so...

> Is it worth getting?

I would have to answer that with a definite "yes", because not only is it a good FPS, but it's got some novel elements to it. If you liked Deus Ex or Soldier of Fortune, I think you'll like Project IGI.
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:09
"High polygon count"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Someone please answer this question (and I know I work here and
> all), but is Black & White coming out on the PS2?

I read that a PS2 version was in development - but I can't remember *where* I read it!
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
They ARE doing a PS2 version, out in a few months.

And the monkey chewed tobacco on the street-car line
Clap-Clap
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I am now "Mr Black and White"

I demand payment from Lionhead for "bigging up" their game all the time and they owe me nights not sleeping.

And if you're reading this, oh blessed girlfriend of mine, TIGER'S DONT EAT GRAIN - THEY EAT PEOPLE

Sorry, but a veggie tiger?
No wonder it poops constantly and loudly everywhere.

Tiger = People eater

Plain and simple.

Cheers for the IGI tip, I'll get it this weekend then.
Got Soldier of Fortune, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever and Swat 3.
Swat 3 is fantastic also.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.