GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did People Expect Too Much Of The PS2??"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/01 at 10:25
Regular
Okay, so when the PS2 was released in Europe, and everyone (nearly) who had pre-ordered got one, many were disappointed with the lack of top quality games.

Now, I was reading someone's message earlier about the lack of PS2 games early on, and it said, "I had TTT, RR5 and TimeSplitters. All were good, but nothing special."

Now, I looked at this and thought, "So, everyone expected the PS2 games to be brilliant, did they??"

Look, how many 'good' games are there on PSX, N64, Dreamcast etc??? Quite a lot.

How many 'superb' games are there on all those formats?? Not many. The odd few. 1 in 10.

So, I think everyone was expecting way too much of the release titles on PS2.

I mean, what'w wrong with a 'good' game?? If a good game comes out, then quite a lot of people will buy it, and be happy with it.

I think that we all expected the PS2 lauch titles to be superb games. Excellent games. Groundbreaking games.
We can't expect that!!

Everyone hyped the PS2, and when 'good' games such as TimeSplitters and TTT were released, everyone was seemingly disappointed.

Now we are beginning to get some excellent games, such as Zone Of The Enders and Star Wars StarFighter.

My message to anyone who complains about the early PS2 games being only 'good' is; that you probably expected way too much.
Developers can't always bring out 'superb' titles, and in my opinion, everyone thought that the PS2 games would all be in this class.

So, when the GameCube comes out, or the X-Box, don't overhype them.
I expect there will be many complaints about release titles on these consoles being 'nothing special', but really, you can't expect them all to match up to classic gammes such as Metal Gear Solid, Shenmue and Mario64.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 17/04/01 at 10:25
Regular
"I like cheese"
Okay, so when the PS2 was released in Europe, and everyone (nearly) who had pre-ordered got one, many were disappointed with the lack of top quality games.

Now, I was reading someone's message earlier about the lack of PS2 games early on, and it said, "I had TTT, RR5 and TimeSplitters. All were good, but nothing special."

Now, I looked at this and thought, "So, everyone expected the PS2 games to be brilliant, did they??"

Look, how many 'good' games are there on PSX, N64, Dreamcast etc??? Quite a lot.

How many 'superb' games are there on all those formats?? Not many. The odd few. 1 in 10.

So, I think everyone was expecting way too much of the release titles on PS2.

I mean, what'w wrong with a 'good' game?? If a good game comes out, then quite a lot of people will buy it, and be happy with it.

I think that we all expected the PS2 lauch titles to be superb games. Excellent games. Groundbreaking games.
We can't expect that!!

Everyone hyped the PS2, and when 'good' games such as TimeSplitters and TTT were released, everyone was seemingly disappointed.

Now we are beginning to get some excellent games, such as Zone Of The Enders and Star Wars StarFighter.

My message to anyone who complains about the early PS2 games being only 'good' is; that you probably expected way too much.
Developers can't always bring out 'superb' titles, and in my opinion, everyone thought that the PS2 games would all be in this class.

So, when the GameCube comes out, or the X-Box, don't overhype them.
I expect there will be many complaints about release titles on these consoles being 'nothing special', but really, you can't expect them all to match up to classic gammes such as Metal Gear Solid, Shenmue and Mario64.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 17/04/01 at 12:22
"High polygon count"
Very true, Ant. You always have to wait for the 'amazing' titles. PS2 doubters/haters just use it as another (flimsy) stick with which to beat the machine, forgetting that every new console has the same problem.

I expected more of the PS2, but I'm not disappointed. Why? Because I wasn't foolish enough to expect it *right away*. Every new machine requires time for developers to get the best out of it. The PSone didn't get many of its classic games until it was about 3 years old, and there are still some great titles coming out even now.

There aren't many PS2 games around at the moment, that's true - but there are (IMHO) some very good titles. I currently have 11 games, and I don't think there's a bad one among them. Of course it's personal opinion, but when it comes to games, that's all that matters.

I know it always seems like PS2 owners are saying "Yeah, but wait until..." at the moment, and it does sound very defensive. But the fact is that good games take time to develop, and there *are* many exceptionally good games coming out this year.

Even some of the people on these forums who were once very 'down' on PS2 are coming around, because they're realising that things are looking very good. Not everyone will love PS2, but they don't have to - if they don't simply dismiss it and actually give it a fair chance, they might just be surprised.
Tue 17/04/01 at 15:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Ant I was the one who said "I had TTT, RR5 and TimeSplitters. All were good, but nothing special."

I dont think I was expecting the PS2 to have all the good games straight away. The games I had were good, I played TTT alot as well as RR5 and Timesplitters was addictive aswell, now iam talking about Timesplitters I want to go and play on it but I have homework/revison to do for my A-Levels :( . There are some other good games that were out with the PS2 and there have been since then. But I waited from the 24th November to 23rd March to buy a new game as there wasnt anyones I wanted. The games that I want are starting to pour in. The Bouncer should be out April/May. GT3 in June. MGS2 late 2001 plus games like Redfaction, Extermination, Onimushu, maybe Bloody Roar 3 as that looks quite good. Fur Fighters looks good. There is also Resident Evil: CV which I might get if there is a lot more added to it thatn the DC version. I think with every new console people expect it t be better than there old console so when it turns out that its not really any better in games then you get a little disappointed. Every console needs a few months to get a good catalogue of games in and now the PS2 is starting to deliver. I was never disappointed with the PS2 at all as the games I had were fun and good, the games I now have are also good and fun. There are more fun and good games coming out or being made. So every PS2 owner should be happy.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:29
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yeah, sorry adrian, I was just using that sentence as an example.
Tue 17/04/01 at 23:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I wasnt arguing or anything I just wanted to say how I felt about PS2. I was agreeing with you in away.
Thu 19/04/01 at 11:28
To be honest, yes. If you look at the facts and figures of the original Playstation, which were record breaking for any home console(not including the Gameboy)- being 75 million units sold in 5 years, a games catalogue of over 1000 games(which mostly were not very good anyway), and more third party developers on board for the console than any other console, would would expect with any follow up there will be hype and expectation by the bucketload. However, have you ever seen a console manage to live up to the hype it produces? Never really. The Super Nintendo didnt live up to the mass media frenzy before it was launched, after the success of the NES, for example.
Looking back at the launch of the PS2 around the world, it seemed that Sony did manage to convince a lot of people that the console was worth buying, even with such a high price tag. In Japan, people were queueing for days to be at the front of the queue for a brand spanking new PS2 which they could show off to their friends, and events of people buying their way(for a lot of money) to the front of the queue, in America there were riots outside computer games shops like Comp USA when people realised that they had sold out, whereas in Britain, all the PS2 pre-order forms, which were introduced to keep people more civilised(does everybody think we all act like our football hooligans?), and those were sold out within the space of a weekend, and I wont mention what happened across mainland Europe, its just too ugly. If you look there, it seemed that the PS2 had lived up to expectations. However, with any new console, you have to wait for the dust to settle before you can judge it.
Lets look at the facts. The games sales were poor, because everybody was using the PS2 as a DVD player rather than a home console, but that can be due to the fact that the PS2 had a very poor launch line up compared to the DC. That was simply because the games took too long to develop. Now we are looking at the end of 2001, nearly a year after the PS2 launch in Britain, before any top-draw games are released for the PS2, for example Metal Gear Solid 2. That has been the main stumbling block for the PS2, the lack of launch titles for it that were any decent(dont get me wrong there have been some good games for the PS2) and those have been thin and far between. That has left people with doubts on why they actually bought the machine in the first place, having not lived up to their expectations.
If you look at things as they stand now, Sony need to release a lot of good games quickly for the PS2 before Gamecube and X-Box are released or they will be in trouble. They need to release games that live up to the expectations that gamesplayers have for the superconsole, because if they dont, they will turn to Microsoft or Nintendo who have a long time to prepare and get some decent games together. In conclusion, people were too expectant of the PS2 considering the repuatation that it carried with its predacessor, the PSOne, and they will have to do a lot more in terms of releasing good games consistently in order to live up to their expectations or the vultures will be circling over the PS2 just like what happened with the N64.
Thu 19/04/01 at 12:03
"High polygon count"
I don't think there's a very high percentage that are unhappy with the PS2; it's just that you only hear from those who are unhappy. Unfortunately human nature dictates that if something goes wrong, people hear about it.

I'm sure that everyone who had a defective PS2 didn't hesitate to phone the shop they bought it from, or Sony themselves, and give them a real ear-bashing; plent even contacted The Sun and Watchdog.

But how many people who's PS2 has had no problems (like me) have actually phoned the shop, or Sony, or the press and made a point of telling them how *happy* they are with the machine?

It seems these days that people are quick to moan, b*tch and complain, and very reluctant to praise and say "thank you". We're only interested in negative things.

When's the last time you heard any GOOD stories on the news? Very rare, isn't it? If it's something good, we don't care, so it's not a newsworthy item.

It's true that the best is yet to come for PS2, but I don't see that PS2 owners are any more likely to turn away from it than the Sega and Nintendo owners are to turn away from their machines.

The Saturn failed; the Dreamcast has been aborted; that must annoy Sega fans, but they stand by them. Nintendo are famous for delayed hardware releases (yet again with GameCube) but their fans stand by them, and are prepared to wait. So I see no reason to assume that PS2 owners should be seen as any more fickle and 'disloyal'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.