GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning to drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/05/04 at 11:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
I've been old enough to learn to drive for a while now but I've only recently been interested in it. I didnt want to pay a few hundred quid for lessons just because it's about the only thing that you can do when you're 17.

Anyway I wanted to get some advice. Neither of my parents drive so I can't get any help from them - and I really do know nothing about driving.

I'll probably try to get basic lessons from the local driving school; they're about £70/£80 for about 6 - hopefully that should let me learn which foot goes where and what that bit between the drivers and passenger seat thing with a handle on it is for. Then I can either carry on more lessons or go with some friends (who've passed their tests) to this old airfield thing near my house where you pay a few quid and you can drive around on it. I think most people tend to learn skills like this from their parents so I'm a bit lost as they know nothing about driving, nor do they seem to care.

Then, so I've been told, I need to pass my theory before I can pass my practical? So is there any decent books or websites that could help me learn the stuff I need for the test?

Or, perhaps, any websites that teach the very basic principles of driving for a know-nothing like myself?

Also how long does a provisional licence take to arrive & how much does it cost?

Help muchly appreciated, as always.
Mon 03/05/04 at 11:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
I've been old enough to learn to drive for a while now but I've only recently been interested in it. I didnt want to pay a few hundred quid for lessons just because it's about the only thing that you can do when you're 17.

Anyway I wanted to get some advice. Neither of my parents drive so I can't get any help from them - and I really do know nothing about driving.

I'll probably try to get basic lessons from the local driving school; they're about £70/£80 for about 6 - hopefully that should let me learn which foot goes where and what that bit between the drivers and passenger seat thing with a handle on it is for. Then I can either carry on more lessons or go with some friends (who've passed their tests) to this old airfield thing near my house where you pay a few quid and you can drive around on it. I think most people tend to learn skills like this from their parents so I'm a bit lost as they know nothing about driving, nor do they seem to care.

Then, so I've been told, I need to pass my theory before I can pass my practical? So is there any decent books or websites that could help me learn the stuff I need for the test?

Or, perhaps, any websites that teach the very basic principles of driving for a know-nothing like myself?

Also how long does a provisional licence take to arrive & how much does it cost?

Help muchly appreciated, as always.
Mon 03/05/04 at 11:29
Regular
"cachoo"
Paradox: wrote:
> Also how long does a provisional licence take to arrive & how
> much does it cost?

Not sure how much it costs now, might've gone up a bit, but I paid about 27 for mine which was in January time, took about a week to arrive.

You could always look at the DVLA site which has loads of info. [URL]http://www.dvla.gov.uk/welcome.htm[/URL]

Edit-
Looks like the provisional licence is now £38.. :s

Also, this site ([URL]http://www.2pass.co.uk/[/URL]) is extremely helpful.
Mon 03/05/04 at 11:47
Regular
I got my Provisional liscense the other day.

£38.

But it should be good, I'm 17 in about a month so I can start driving.

I suggest choosing your first car now, and maybe asking this forum for advice, we don't want you looking homosexual by driving something feminine like a Ford KA, or the new mini.
Mon 03/05/04 at 12:04
Regular
"Twenty quid."
You have to pay for licenses now? Blimey.
Mon 03/05/04 at 12:12
Regular
Damn, forgot I had a provisional until this was posted. What a waste of £27, bah.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm sitting my test on Thursday, it's costing £90.

It's a complete rip-off and a lot more difficult these days. You fail for the slightest thing.
Mon 03/05/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I would say that driving about on an airfield is a good way to get to grips with the controls of a car, but to prepare for your test you need proper lessons on the road with an instructor.

It costs a bit more, but if you're good at it, not too much more.

Took me 11 lessons to pass my test and I also went out once with my dad giving pointers.

Do you have any friend that have held a full licence for more then 3 years? If you do then they can take you out on the road.
Mon 03/05/04 at 14:01
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I've been out for about 40 hours spread over a year

*cries*

Better to get it done quickly unlike me but I never had the money.
Mon 03/05/04 at 15:20
Regular
"SOUP!"
I don't have a mate who'd had a license over 3 years... probably not even over 3 months - I suppose I could get a relative ie an uncle or something to take me out once I've got my provisional.

I'll probably not be getting a car of my own until after I've finished uni, (If I decide to go), but I think driving, like most life-skills, is something that is best learnt young.

Thanks for your advice - I'll give those sites a look over
Mon 03/05/04 at 15:45
Regular
"SOUP!"
Another question I couldnt find the answer to on the DVLA site

Once you have your provisional license - do you have to pass your test within X amount of time before it expires, or does it last as long as you like?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.