GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning to drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/05/04 at 11:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
I've been old enough to learn to drive for a while now but I've only recently been interested in it. I didnt want to pay a few hundred quid for lessons just because it's about the only thing that you can do when you're 17.

Anyway I wanted to get some advice. Neither of my parents drive so I can't get any help from them - and I really do know nothing about driving.

I'll probably try to get basic lessons from the local driving school; they're about £70/£80 for about 6 - hopefully that should let me learn which foot goes where and what that bit between the drivers and passenger seat thing with a handle on it is for. Then I can either carry on more lessons or go with some friends (who've passed their tests) to this old airfield thing near my house where you pay a few quid and you can drive around on it. I think most people tend to learn skills like this from their parents so I'm a bit lost as they know nothing about driving, nor do they seem to care.

Then, so I've been told, I need to pass my theory before I can pass my practical? So is there any decent books or websites that could help me learn the stuff I need for the test?

Or, perhaps, any websites that teach the very basic principles of driving for a know-nothing like myself?

Also how long does a provisional licence take to arrive & how much does it cost?

Help muchly appreciated, as always.
Mon 03/05/04 at 20:38
Regular
"SOUP!"
Glad someone is in the know :-)
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:51
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
Paradox: wrote:
>I suppose I could get a relative ie an uncle or
> something to take me out once I've got my provisional.

You've also got to be insured on their car.

Ms NY wrote:
> I thought it might be 2 years..

You have 2 years to pass your practical test once you passed your theory or else you need to retake your theory test

Paradox: wrote:
> so you get 8 years.

Mon 03/05/04 at 17:17
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Here, we have to pass our theory test BEFORE we can apply for a provisional.
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:14
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
Cool!
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:09
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
So, I'm going to run 10 miles to work. Work for 11 hours and then run 10 miles home again? Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Also, while I'm working I'm going to take all my clothes off apart from my tactical belt and helmet and run round the streets waving my baton.
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:04
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
So is running
and it dont cost anything!
Mon 03/05/04 at 16:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Driving's fun.

Provisional was £30, Theory test was easy (common sense) and cost £20, my lessons are expensive, but I'm also 'much better than most people'.

Have it.
Mon 03/05/04 at 16:53
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
Why drive when you can run!???
Mon 03/05/04 at 16:41
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ms NY wrote:
> I thought it might be 2 years..

That was the theory test, you have to pass your driving test within 2 years of passing your theory test or you have to take it again.
Mon 03/05/04 at 16:14
Regular
"SOUP!"
so you get 8 years.

Nicely.

I'll send off for mine tomorrow I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.