GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real truth?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/04/01 at 21:45
Regular
When Sony first announced the development of it's Playstation 2 console, the world rocked with excitement. With practically no extra information, the buzz surrounding the announcment was enourmous. Rightly so? I beg to differ. The global success of the Playstation set the benchmark for future consoles, and gave Sony the key to release anything, and still do well. Not to say that the PS2 was rushed, or a poorly planned idea, just that maybe expectations were a little high. Maybe without too much to backup the promises, Sony smiled a coy, devious grin, knowing that whatever happened, they would make a fortune. Soon after the announcements information was flooded to us thick and fast, and the super console really began to take shape. However, among us there were doubters. Countless people unsure that Sony would pull it off once again, and afraid that the temptation to cash in and con the buying public would proove too much. It looked bleak with the announcment of the launch titles, although some potentially classic games, the harsh truth was that most were remakes of old PS1 games. The idea of pre-ordering added to the chaos, countless unhappy customers, games developers rushing out games, and a poor supply upon launch. The PS2 could have been written off as soon as it launched. Many people rushed out and bought it...I only wish I was one of them.

Truth is, given that little bit of time (and I do mean little) things are looking suprisingly good for PS2 owners. In-fact, it's looking as though this is the only console you'll ever have needed. I hate to say it, but my doubts were wrong. With one single rolling demo of the fabulous MGS2, my money was drawn from the bank ready to go and buy a shiny black box. Looking at what is to come in the next few months, it is very promising that PS2 will be graced with some of the greatest games ever, and that maybe, just maybe, the doubters among us were wrong. Then again, there are two sides to every coin, and we may well have given into peer pressure? We may well have been blinded just like those who rushed out on day one!?

No-one is to know.

Good console? Bad console? Good games? Bad games? It's a matter of opinion, although it would seem in this case that only time will tell. The consistent critiscisms of PS2 allowed us to dismiss it before it's launch. Then again, the fantastic things spoke about in the press forced each and every one of us to just marvel at the prospect of owning the wonder-console.

We listen far too much, and don't allow our minds to be the judge. Engage the mind, and throw caution to the wind. PS2 is worth the gamble.
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:24
Regular
I never knew about any of that...

No wonder they're desperately trying to get attention with the PS2's!
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
TheSlammer is the most irresponsible, badly organised, rip off company that ever had the misfortune to get a domain name.

They couldn't organise a filofax.

They can't keep accurate records.

They charge the wrong credit cards with £300 charges

The 'free' games they give away are white label, and second hand white label at that.

They take 4 months to deliver, and when they do, it's the wrong product, to the wrong address, but miraculously they manage to charge the right card for once.

Everybody hates them.

Mon 16/04/01 at 22:14
Regular
We've told everyone that everyone who's a member on WWW.PLANETARION.COM can get a PS2 for £150 from THE SLAMMERS.

About half of SR's price...

oops, I did it it again.

I bet this post will have mysteriously disappeared by tomorrow...

:-)
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:08
Regular
I'm not exactly giving it "good" advertisment though...

(Yeah, but any publicity is good publicity.)

...Dah.
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:07
Regular
Actually, Dan2K1 advertised gameplay's DC deals the other day on this site and has just won a game!

Perhaps we'll get away with it after all...
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:05
Regular
Grix, you've done it too now, advertising another games retailer!

Looks like I'm not the only one who'll never win another game!
Mon 16/04/01 at 21:52
Regular
Yeah, but it's from The Slammer Dan.

THE SLAMMER.

I think Ant would love to tell you about the Slammer...
Mon 16/04/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I agree with the main points in the post, but I don't think any console manufacturer worth its salt would ever release a console just because they have the key to success and think they can release an inferior product and reap the rewards.

Sony are in for the long haul, and what they release has a dramatic impact on their profits 5-10 years down the line. They don't want to be remembered for launching a shoddy product with a bad pre-order scheme, they want to be recognised as the market leader in the game console market, so to infer that the PS2 was in anyway rushed is taking a bit of a liberty with the actual events.

Sony know that only a good product will do well in this competitive marketplace, and the PS2 is their solution for the next 4-5 years of gaming.

And it is a good product.
Mon 16/04/01 at 21:51
Regular
Unfortunatly, your last few lines won't help many people in here, their minds are already too pathetic to make their own decisions...
Mon 16/04/01 at 21:51
Regular
If you still want to get a PS2 then join planetarion and you can get one for £150 off one of their advertisers!

I bet I'll never ever win gameaday again now I've said this...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.