GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rules of Attraction (the movie)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/05/04 at 23:13
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I've read American Psycho and about the first half of Glamorama, so I get the jist of Ellis' writing - satire with graphic sex, and usually some violence too. And creating a universe of characters with a clear timeline of events and references to the different books.

The film took what was probably a good book, and Roger Avary who was involved with Pulp Fiction at a high level (so must be good...then again so was Tarantino and look what he's done lately)...and it just missed the mark completely. Set in a different time frame, with editing that separated the characters far too much, and reduced some witty social commentary to gurning from Dawson while he had sex lots and lots of times. And a riduculous Jamaican drug dealer.

The best thing I got from this film was the pronunciation of Lauren Hynde. I always thought it was like behind, not rhyming with tinned. But there you go. The best bit was with Victor's Europe trip though, and Glamorama's on its way. From Avary. But they're re-editing this Europe trip as 'Glitterati', the link between the two adaptions.

What a scatty post. Anyway, NOT VERY GOOD FILM, but lots of boobs so it's probably worth it.
Sun 02/05/04 at 23:13
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I've read American Psycho and about the first half of Glamorama, so I get the jist of Ellis' writing - satire with graphic sex, and usually some violence too. And creating a universe of characters with a clear timeline of events and references to the different books.

The film took what was probably a good book, and Roger Avary who was involved with Pulp Fiction at a high level (so must be good...then again so was Tarantino and look what he's done lately)...and it just missed the mark completely. Set in a different time frame, with editing that separated the characters far too much, and reduced some witty social commentary to gurning from Dawson while he had sex lots and lots of times. And a riduculous Jamaican drug dealer.

The best thing I got from this film was the pronunciation of Lauren Hynde. I always thought it was like behind, not rhyming with tinned. But there you go. The best bit was with Victor's Europe trip though, and Glamorama's on its way. From Avary. But they're re-editing this Europe trip as 'Glitterati', the link between the two adaptions.

What a scatty post. Anyway, NOT VERY GOOD FILM, but lots of boobs so it's probably worth it.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:07
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Rules rules. You're heavily wrong. And about Tarantino too.
Edit: And read the rest of Glamorama (and ROA) you uncultured philistine.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:10
Regular
"not dead"
Well I thought it wasn't that great.

The best bits happened in the first ten minutes, and the rest of the film was about leading up to those moments, and as such, I was underwhelmed.

Eric Stoltz was trhe only good thing about that movie.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:51
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Tarantino has turned into a drugged up self indulgent joke.

I'll probably read the book though.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:55
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
swander wrote:
> Tarantino has turned into a drugged up self indulgent joke.
>

Drugged up? On what do you base these allegations? And hey, it looks like plenty of others enjoyed Kill Bill, so I wouldn't exactly call him a joke. Not many people out there making films like him.
Mon 03/05/04 at 14:20
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Drugged up? On what do you base these allegations?

The spate of interviews he did around the time of Kill Bill, where he was acting like he was a member of The Vines or something.

> And hey, it
> looks like plenty of others enjoyed Kill Bill so I wouldn't exactly
> call him a joke.

Could say the same about The Darkness ;-) I liked bits of Kill Bill as well, but other parts were just bad - the dialogue, for one.

> Not many people out there making films like him.

Meaning films like Kill Bill, which was an homage to a whole genre? Or films like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, the latter of which borrowed the main plot from an old Japanese film, and both of which have spawned several films with lots of people whose lives intertwine with violence and sassy dialogue, like los ameros perrooeoroers or whatever that Mexican film is.
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:11
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
swander wrote:
> Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Drugged up? On what do you base these allegations?
>
> The spate of interviews he did around the time of Kill Bill, where he
> was acting like he was a member of The Vines or something.

The man's a psycho, he's an absolute mental case. But not a drug-house.

> Not many people out there making films like him.
>
> Meaning films like Kill Bill, which was an homage to a whole genre?

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw someone make a film even one iota as ambitious as Kill Bill? When was the last time you saw a damn good revenge movie at the cinema shot with the same quality as Tarantino? He plunders from old films, but so does everyone. Indiana Jones films were looted from adventure movies of the 50's, Star Wars were just space operas. No one had made a decent king fu/revenge movie until Kill Bill came along - expect a spate of copycats along soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a film student who worships the ground the man walks on (Pulp Fiction was great, Reservoir Dogs ditto, Jackie Brown not as good and I haven't even seen Natural Born Killers or True Romance) I can just recognise a good filmmaker and good film when I see one.
Mon 03/05/04 at 17:33
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Yeah, but when was the last time you saw someone make a film even one
> iota as ambitious as Kill Bill?

LOTRs?

> When was the last time you saw a
> damn good revenge movie at the cinema shot with the same quality as
> Tarantino?

DAREDEVIL!

True Romance was on TV a few weeks back, you should have seen it, one of the best/worst screen deaths I've seen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.