GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real truth?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/04/01 at 21:41
Regular
When Sony first announced the development of it's Playstation 2 console, the world rocked with excitement. With practically no extra information, the buzz surrounding the announcment was enourmous. Rightly so? I beg to differ. The global success of the Playstation set the benchmark for future consoles, and gave Sony the key to release anything, and still do well. Not to say that the PS2 was rushed, or a poorly planned idea, just that maybe expectations were a little high. Maybe without too much to backup the promises, Sony smiled a coy, devious grin, knowing that whatever happened, they would make a fortune. Soon after the announcements information was flooded to us thick and fast, and the super console really began to take shape. However, among us there were doubters. Countless people unsure that Sony would pull it off once again, and afraid that the temptation to cash in and con the buying public would proove too much. It looked bleak with the announcment of the launch titles, although some potentially classic games, the harsh truth was that most were remakes of old PS1 games. The idea of pre-ordering added to the chaos, countless unhappy customers, games developers rushing out games, and a poor supply upon launch. The PS2 could have been written off as soon as it launched. Many people rushed out and bought it...I only wish I was one of them.

Truth is, given that little bit of time (and I do mean little) things are looking suprisingly good for PS2 owners. In-fact, it's looking as though this is the only console you'll ever have needed. I hate to say it, but my doubts were wrong. With one single rolling demo of the fabulous MGS2, my money was drawn from the bank ready to go and buy a shiny black box. Looking at what is to come in the next few months, it is very promising that PS2 will be graced with some of the greatest games ever, and that maybe, just maybe, the doubters among us were wrong. Then again, there are two sides to every coin, and we may well have given into peer pressure? We may well have been blinded just like those who rushed out on day one!?

No-one is to know.

Good console? Bad console? Good games? Bad games? It's a matter of opinion, although it would seem in this case that only time will tell. The consistent critiscisms of PS2 allowed us to dismiss it before it's launch. Then again, the fantastic things spoke about in the press forced each and every one of us to just marvel at the prospect of owning the wonder-console.

We listen far too much, and don't allow our minds to be the judge. Engage the mind, and throw caution to the wind. PS2 is worth the gamble.
Mon 16/04/01 at 22:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I was one who preordered the console evenbefore it was launched in Japan. The day I got it was very exciting and of course the months and months waiting were aswell. After playing on it a bit I found out that the games I had werent any different to PS1. I had TTT, RR5 and Timesplitters. All 3 games are good but nothing special. I had played on it for a few weeks and didnt play on it much at all until Z.O.E came out, and from that day till now I have been playing on it a lot more. I have had Z.O.E , Shadow Of Memories and Starwars:Starfighter, in less then 2 weeks from Z.O.E being released. I have had the pleasure to play MGS2. Of course with my luck I had a Faulty demo but that has just been replaced.
I now have to say that the future for PS2 is looking good. MGS2 is amazing, the graphics are some of the best for any game on any system. But what really is going to be good is the detail. You can smash bottles, plates, cameras, glass, shoot holes in fire extingushers so that all the foam sprays out , e.t.c. The guards are 10 times smarter than MGS. Its a joy to set off the alert signal, hide in a locker and watch them use team work to find you. If a guard spots you he will shoot you , to give himself some time then he'll run off with his radio in hand calling for back up, which you can hear. If you knock a guard out or kill him the other guards radio in with him and when he doesnt answer they come to check up on him.
Everybody should try to play MGS2 as this will be one of the greatest games in history. People who dont like PS2 , this goes out to you Pagey. Then you need to play this game, anything you thought about Sony will change if you have any doubt that PS2 is a rubbish machine with no good games play this it will change they way you think about games. I can not wait until Snake hits the UK shores.
Mon 16/04/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
When Sony first announced the development of it's Playstation 2 console, the world rocked with excitement. With practically no extra information, the buzz surrounding the announcment was enourmous. Rightly so? I beg to differ. The global success of the Playstation set the benchmark for future consoles, and gave Sony the key to release anything, and still do well. Not to say that the PS2 was rushed, or a poorly planned idea, just that maybe expectations were a little high. Maybe without too much to backup the promises, Sony smiled a coy, devious grin, knowing that whatever happened, they would make a fortune. Soon after the announcements information was flooded to us thick and fast, and the super console really began to take shape. However, among us there were doubters. Countless people unsure that Sony would pull it off once again, and afraid that the temptation to cash in and con the buying public would proove too much. It looked bleak with the announcment of the launch titles, although some potentially classic games, the harsh truth was that most were remakes of old PS1 games. The idea of pre-ordering added to the chaos, countless unhappy customers, games developers rushing out games, and a poor supply upon launch. The PS2 could have been written off as soon as it launched. Many people rushed out and bought it...I only wish I was one of them.

Truth is, given that little bit of time (and I do mean little) things are looking suprisingly good for PS2 owners. In-fact, it's looking as though this is the only console you'll ever have needed. I hate to say it, but my doubts were wrong. With one single rolling demo of the fabulous MGS2, my money was drawn from the bank ready to go and buy a shiny black box. Looking at what is to come in the next few months, it is very promising that PS2 will be graced with some of the greatest games ever, and that maybe, just maybe, the doubters among us were wrong. Then again, there are two sides to every coin, and we may well have given into peer pressure? We may well have been blinded just like those who rushed out on day one!?

No-one is to know.

Good console? Bad console? Good games? Bad games? It's a matter of opinion, although it would seem in this case that only time will tell. The consistent critiscisms of PS2 allowed us to dismiss it before it's launch. Then again, the fantastic things spoke about in the press forced each and every one of us to just marvel at the prospect of owning the wonder-console.

We listen far too much, and don't allow our minds to be the judge. Engage the mind, and throw caution to the wind. PS2 is worth the gamble.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.