GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conker did badly. Why? and what is the future for Nintendo?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/04/01 at 19:28
Regular
Conker didn't do too well in America, But this game is one of the greatest ever so why?

Simple Nintendo are seen as a childish company so few adults use the system so there is few people to buy Conker. But if there is few adult Nintendo fans what is this telling us about the future of Nintendo. Well with Resident evil 0 and 4, Turok 4, After Dark, Metroid, Too human and Eternal Darkness are all coming to the Gamecube so that might bring the adult gamers back.

Sony doesn't really have too many adult games but they have a lot of universal ones. A driving game isn't an adult game but it isn't a kiddies game either. But why is Nintendo seen as a kiddies console? Simple reason Cute platformers but I know adults who like platformers and a lot of teenagers who like platformers as well.

It is the image that lets platformers down so Nintendo and Rare made Conker which should show people that they are fun to play and that platformers are universal. So what is a kiddies game? Well Bob the builder, Teletubbies, Tweenies and many more are kiddies games and none of these are on the 64 but on the Playstation!

So Nintendo aren't really a kiddies console and it is about time everyone knows it.

Here's to the future

Dringo

Tue 17/04/01 at 21:52
Conker and 'conker 2' will be with y colcetion (when i get them) forever and i will always think there great.
Tue 17/04/01 at 17:53
Regular
Ant wrote:
> Look.

Games like Teletubbies are actually MEANT for kids, so I
> don't buy them.

You wanna know why Nintendo have the kiddies
> reputation?? Because even a game like CBFD has cute, cartoonie
> graphics and characters.

And there a lot more PSX games that are
> 18s.

Ant who cares if the graphics look kiddy or not they look great!
Tue 17/04/01 at 17:49
What did Rare expect,miracles,who is going to play more for a game than the console,a joke if you ask me
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:31
Hello people some of you are seriously miss informed, Nintendo have detached themselves completely from Conker BFD like its the plague, THQ are not the middle men making money, they licensed the game because Nintendo would not. Rare and THQ have made the game which argues strongly with the first point as nintendo themselves are not associated with adult games (however yes there are more and more adult games on N consoles). But lets take a good look at these 'adult' or 'mature' games, Shadow man was pathetic as played like subuteo men with bubble gum stuck to their bottoms! All Turok games suck although the actual Turok universe is cool the gameplay once again smelt rank.

Although some of you may like these games make no mistake, the big N does not. Nintendo prefer bouncy colourful games which as I prefer have great depth and gameplay. N even forced rare to change the Jet Force twins to more maturer looking characters as shooting ants is obviously an adult sport? THe final fact must be that the Game Cube will not have an in built DVD player as N build machines for game players, surely although I despise it the PS2 will appeal to a maturer audience with its DVD capabilities?
Tue 17/04/01 at 13:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
From what I can gather... and although I may be wrong...

When Nintendo and Sega were big back in the late eighties early ninties (big in the West not the East), their kit was seen as childrens toys...

computers being for adults, consoles for children

Apart from a small amount of Gameboy advertising, the consoles were generally marketed that way too (especially given, even today, that the vast amount of console games advertising is shown during childrens television hours)

Sonys Playstation was the first console to directly market 20 somethings.

Which, given that the 90's twentysomethings were pretty much the first generation to grow up with consoles and PCs as background furniture, and not new technology. And, as such they were comfotable enough with the technology, and had enough ready money, to purchase the machines for entertainment...

However, Nintendo stuck with the old style advertising, which, being more family oriented (and, lets be honest here, how many Nintendo games ads have caused the uproar that the PS's ads have... Carmageddon, GTA, etc...), which, coupled with their cutsy-Disneyesq graphics left them alienated wit a kiddies image.

Although there are quite a few old school gamers in their twenties+ who know Nintendo for their game quality, the majority of the general public, and the new (and very large) group of new school gamers only know Nintendo for their kiddie look...
Tue 17/04/01 at 09:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Look.

Games like Teletubbies are actually MEANT for kids, so I don't buy them.

You wanna know why Nintendo have the kiddies reputation?? Because even a game like CBFD has cute, cartoonie graphics and characters.

And there a lot more PSX games that are 18s.
Tue 17/04/01 at 09:31
Regular
Thats what i did with the Playstation

Got fed up eitht he games
Mon 16/04/01 at 23:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Ive got an N64... and I gave up on the beast a long long time ago!

:)
Mon 16/04/01 at 23:30
Regular
It's very hard to get a new N64 without pikachu on it. No new older gamers buying n64. Hence the only people likely to be getting conker's will be older gamers who still have the n64 from the older days, and haven't yet given it up.
Mon 16/04/01 at 20:09
Regular
Nope it is an excellent one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.