GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bigger and more intrusive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/04/04 at 23:57
"High polygon count"
Bloody adverts!

Anyone been to http://www.football365.co.uk lately?

Flash adverts, or whatever the hell they're created in.

Yes, I've whinged abuot them before. But it was bad enough when they just popped up in the middle of the screen; these new ones take up nearly a quarter of the browser window with a 'page turn' effect. They're bigger and more instrusive than ever!

I know these sites need the financial support of advertising, but there's surely no quicker way to p!ss off your readers than obstructing the articles they're trying to read?!

Nasty things... should be banned.
Tue 04/05/04 at 23:16
Regular
"NULL"
I use Mozilla Firefox, and again, the only site which it doesn't work with is the Odeon website. Has anyone found a work around yet? I'm tempted to create a PHP script to parse the site and return the useful information minus all the crappy JS rubbish. Any thoughts?
Fri 30/04/04 at 13:14
Regular
Do you try to avoid companies whose adverts p*** you off?

I figure it's a good idea, try to penalise them for making people unhappy/frustrated, but I guess it'd only work if people did it on a massive scale.
Fri 30/04/04 at 01:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I like the title, and yeah, the Odeon site frequently crashes.
Thu 29/04/04 at 23:30
"High polygon count"
I can believe that!

If an advert is in the border like here at SR, and is of interest, I will - probably - click on it.

If it is forced in my face like those mentioned earlier, I will click nothing other than the 'Close' box, even if the subject may be of interest to be.
Thu 29/04/04 at 23:27
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I know these sites need the financial support of advertising, but
> there's surely no quicker way to p!ss off your readers than
> obstructing the articles they're trying to read?!

Recent studies have shown that internet advertising fails to work or generate revenue mainly down to the annoyanceof adverts taking over your monitor!!!
Thu 29/04/04 at 23:15
"High polygon count"
Captain Scarlet wrote:
> Googlebar its all you need (unless u want another web broswer that 50%
> of sites won't be compatible with)

I've got the Google toolbar - it stops popups, but does nothing to stop these Flash (or whatever they are) adverts.
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:39
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
The title of this thread just oozes innuendo.
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:35
Regular
"Digging!"
Captain Scarlet wrote:
> Googlebar its all you need (unless u want another web broswer that 50%
> of sites won't be compatible with)

I use Mozilla, and all the site I have ever been to bar the Odeon Cinema site (and that is due to crappy coding in javascript to get the navs to fly on screen) works fine.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:46
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
Googlebar its all you need (unless u want another web broswer that 50% of sites won't be compatible with)
Thu 29/04/04 at 18:49
Regular
I've still got pop-ups coming through from downloading kazaa. I made a weak attempt at getting rid of them, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

One came through as I was typing the above. Trying to get me to enter a competition for a mercedes. Someone must die.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.