GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good News for NTL Broadband users"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/04/04 at 19:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ntl is boosting its three broadband services to higher speeds, at no extra cost to customers. This will provide a significant competitive advantage, offering the highest speeds in the high volume entry-level and mid-tier sectors, while at the high end, ntl will offer 50% more speed than the main providers of ADSL.

New speeds

At entry level, the 150Kbps service increases to 300Kbps (£17.99), the mid tier service increases from 600Kbps to 750Kbps (£24.99), while at the high end the 1Mb service increases to 1.5Mb (£37.99)

This also goes for Telewest and Blueyonder
Wed 28/04/04 at 20:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Vamp wrote:
> Well the letter we got said the prices of my 600k was rising to this
> new price :S

<------
Internet

Q. I am a 1Mb Broadband Internet customer. Why has my monthly subscription increased?

A. Our 1Mb service is more expensive to deliver than our other Broadband products – and we must keep up with market prices. We believe our 1Mb Broadband service still represents great value – compare it to BT Yahoo! Broadband at £38 per month and BT Yahoo at £40.99 – and we’re still cheaper. Note – this is the first time that we have increased the price of this service since launch in March 2002.
----->

<------
Internet
The 1Mbps broadband Internet access service is rising £3, now costing £37.99 per month. Prices for 150Kbps and 600Kbps access have not been changed. Xbox Live and PS2 Live are both dropping by £3 to £2 per month.

ntl explained: "Our 1Mb service is more expensive to deliver than our other Broadband products – and we must keep up with market prices."
------>
Wed 28/04/04 at 03:10
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
Tyla wrote:
> Vamp wrote:
> Well i dont thinks its entily true my ntl broadband 24:99 service
> from
> next month is going to be 29:99 so maybe that why speed going up
>
> That sounds a bit wrong. The only services NTL are upping the prices
> on is the 1Mb BB and the TV services, 150 & 600k are staying the
> same! Had the letter this morning

Well the letter we got said the prices of my 600k was rising to this new price :S
Tue 27/04/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Captain Scarlet wrote:
> If you are close enough to the exchange or have a line that can
> handle it

Yeah of course. If you can get 1Mb ADSL now then 2Mb also has the same rules so there should be no problem in getting 2Mb. BT are actually trialling 512K at 10km so if this works then 1Mb may be trialled further.
Tue 27/04/04 at 20:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Icaruss wrote:
> 1GB a day sounds okay, but 1Gb, no.

It's 1GB a day, and thats good for NTL if you compare it to BT who's is 1GB/month and Blueyonder which is 2GB month.

The NTL 1GB cap is only for the 600/150k users. You DL's are not restricted on the 1MB cap, hence why I upgraded.
Tue 27/04/04 at 20:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Vamp wrote:
> Well i dont thinks its entily true my ntl broadband 24:99 service from
> next month is going to be 29:99 so maybe that why speed going up

That sounds a bit wrong. The only services NTL are upping the prices on is the 1Mb BB and the TV services, 150 & 600k are staying the same! Had the letter this morning
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:41
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
adrian wrote:
> Hopefully the increase in speed on NTL, Telewest and Blueyonder will
> force BT to actually get home 2Mb out pretty quick if not going
> further and getting 3Mb or 4Mb out by the end of the year.
If you are close enough to the exchange or have a line that can handle it
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Any ideas how I could do that?
>
> Control Panel -Network Connections -Right click the one you want
> -Properties -Tick "Show icon in system tray"

But for a router doesnt that show the number of packets, as its a ethernet connection?
Tue 27/04/04 at 16:35
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
This is good!!

*Happy
Tue 27/04/04 at 16:00
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Any ideas how I could do that?

Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click the one you want -> Properties -> Tick "Show icon in system tray"
Tue 27/04/04 at 13:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I suppose 1 GB a day isn't too bad, but I could break that without
> downloading stuff. The places that limit you to 1 GB a month however
> are morons.

Well with the new ADSL services that are getting capped they are cheaper than the unlimited services that have been available for years. For example Pipex have introduced 512K and 1Mb services that have 1Gb and 2Gb limit per month respectively. 512K 1Gb is £19.99 and the unlimited service is still at £23.44 which has been the price ever since I had 512K nearly 2 years ago. 1Mb 2Gb is £28.99 and the unlimited is £33.99 which it has been since the release of 1Mb, I still pay £28.95 as I signed up when Pipex did a special 1Mb price :D I also think that BT have set the limits for the capped services at this current rate so it may be hard for ISPs to actually offer more Gb per month until BT change the system.

Now people want the speed of 512K or 1Mb but do not go over the limits so spending less money on effectively the same service is good for these people. If you do use more than the limit then you can still pay the same prices as before the new capped services and have unlimited, or buy 1Gb more for a few pounds on the capped services.

I use my connection alot so 1Gb or 2Gb is very low indeed, I would say that 512K should be at least 2Gb if not 3-4Gb and double that for 1Mb. But people buying these capped services are going to be people who do not use the connection much, but do want the speed so 1Gb or 2Gb may be fine.

I am all for the new changes in broadband, its good that ADSL has lower speeds now and capped services as this may attract more people to get broadband so the whole industry of ADSL, Cable, broadband in general can actually start competing with other countries in Europe and the world. The UK is rubbish for broadband, look at Sweden were companies are competing for the lowest priced and fastest service, 10Mb connections in Sweden are probably about the same price as what we pay for 1Mb.

Hopefully the increase in speed on NTL, Telewest and Blueyonder will force BT to actually get home 2Mb out pretty quick if not going further and getting 3Mb or 4Mb out by the end of the year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.