GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game prices to rise next generation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/03/05 at 22:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
According to IGN, 'Investor's Business Daily' recently quoted Activision CEO Robert Kotik as saying that games for the next generation would cost around $60, a $10 rise, due to increasing development costs.

The article also suggests that the price of the PS3 and Xbox2 could be as high as $500, because the machines will be so advanced, and even then Sony and Microsoft could be selling them at a loss.

So then, not particularly good news. Game prices look to be on the rise for the next generation, probably by £10 over here as well. $500 (that would probably be around $350-400 over here) is VERY steep for a new console, and I see real potential here for Nintendo to steal the market by offering a much lower priced machine with lower software prices right from the off. The danger is that people will once again equate cheaper = not as good, but with £400 consoles they might not have any choce BUT to buy Revolution.

In other news, Marvel and EA have teamed up for a new fighter, 'Marvel Nemesis: The Imperfects', Geist is apparently shaping up very nicely, Ubi Soft is going to develop a new AND1 basketball game and Meteos could be the DS' own Tetris (we haven't heard that before).

Also, Satoru Iwata once again sticks a polite knife through everything that Reggie promised us, saying that the Revolution input isn't even finalised yet, that "We have a number of candidates for a new interface but are not ready to reveal them", which could be worrying, because unfinalised control methods = no games even in development properly. He goes on to say that voice recognition "will not be a defining feature of the new console", and once again reiterates Nintendo's stance that processing speeds and specs have taken us as far as they can (something I dispute - it isn't all about graphics, which Satoru suggests, with his "Games already pretty much have reached the point of photo-realism" comments, but that's for another time). He continues to say that Nintendo needs to focus on releasing the hardware at the right time, and releasing software at the right time to appeal to consumers, and that he isn't worried about the Xbox2 being released early.

Watching videos of Timesplitters Future Perfect has made me want it more than I did, and looking at the release schedule we could have a wonderfully busy few months ahead. Obviously there's Resi 4 tomorrow, which should really be taking up all of our time, but then there's Timesplitters 3 the next week, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Viewtiful Joe 2 the week after, Star Fox Assualt at the end of April, followed by a May full of wonderful new DS games and possibly Geist as well. You better start saving now, I know I am.
Fri 18/03/05 at 20:51
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Where'd you see splitters 3 videos?

Damn GAME. Lower trade-in value again then.
Fri 18/03/05 at 20:48
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
50 quid for a game? That'll be 60 quid in GAME then. This is a great way to tackle piracy, and 400 quid for a new console? That's too steep, I could buy another car for that sort of money.
Fri 18/03/05 at 14:33
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Two less people with not enough money to buy the console won't help much.
Fri 18/03/05 at 14:24
"period drama"
Just wait 'til me and gamesfreak finish uni, then all the problems will be solved. Instantly.
Fri 18/03/05 at 14:19
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> So this means people will be looking to poach talent from other
> companies more often which means companies have to keep raising wages
> to keep their talent which eventually leads to higher priced games.

...which eventually leads to lower sales (due to prices) which leads to losses in profit which leads to having to make staff redundant which leads to pushing talent out of the market.

It's all one viscious cycle.
Fri 18/03/05 at 13:44
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> Brand new games usually retail for 50 at launch. I wouldn't worry,
> this is the norm because when a console starts it has a small
> userbase so developers have to ask more to get a decent return.

On the otherhand development teams are getting larger and as someone high-up at Activision said 'soon the talent will dry up'.

So this means people will be looking to poach talent from other companies more often which means companies have to keep raising wages to keep their talent which eventually leads to higher priced games.
Fri 18/03/05 at 12:43
Regular
I thought that the new generation of consoles were so powerful that a lot of devellopers would be able to make stunning games on middleware.
Basically, that would bring game devellopment right down.

I was kind of hoping that it would stablise the market rather than light is up again. Both Sony and MS are going to bleed out of this one and one of them will fall seriously wounded.

In the meantime it means that Nintendo have even MORE reason to push the Gamecube as a budget console as the market is even more blatantly open than before. The PSOne still sold bucket loads after the PS2 came out and

a) The PS1 market was saturated - almost everyone already had one
b) Most PS1 games were almost unplayable compared to the next generation games of the time.

The Gamecube is held back by neither of these.
It would cease to be a system of amazement (although some would suggest that it never really had that in the first place! ;-D) but it would be the most cost-efficient, practical games machine on the market.

When you pay £50-60 for a game, you want something REALLY special.
OOT or Goldeneye, maybe worth it. I can't imagine a single Gamecube game that I'd really have felt I'd gotten £60's worth from.
At £10-£20? Totally different story.
£5? I loved Zoocube for £5!

It would be the perfect way to sidestep Sony/MS by advertising the Gamecube as the console to get AS WELL as a next gen one (because GC+game would be roughly the same price as a next gen game) and could build up a huge fanbase ready for the "revolution".

Maybe! ;-)
Fri 18/03/05 at 11:19
"period drama"
*sigh*
Not voice recognition, Itwata, you idiot.

Bad bad bad.
Fri 18/03/05 at 11:18
"period drama"
It was bound to happen - games are taking longer and longer to make, so the companies have got to have something back for all that extra work.

Although that console price is just stupid.

Actually, I hope they keep it like that, and Ninty do the right thing with a decent launch price. = pwnage.
Fri 18/03/05 at 08:09
Regular
When the next gen consoles are out and everyones eventually selling their right arm and more for them i'll be picking up a Ps2 and Xbox with there entire back catologue.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.