GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Limited bandwith"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 11:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hello.

Am currently looking into broadband ISPs, and there's a deal which limits you monthly bandwith to 2GB. I don't download music, but I do download some film trailers/game trailers every now and then.

What I was really wondering - does this affect online play much? I mean, does using Xbox Live or my PC for gaming online dwindle this limit rapidly, or is it really irrelevant?
Tue 27/04/04 at 00:08
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
When I looked for Broadband I found Pipex best. 23.44 512kb uncapped.

Suit nearly all people down to the ground, dont go for any capped stuff, when you have broadband you'll be downloading legally trailers and funny clips of movies etc, a few of those could run into 100mb easily. In ONE day, EASILY.
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Captain Scarlet wrote:
> 2 gigs per month, I bet they claim to be the cheapest ISP ever like BT
> with there 19.99 a month package with 1 gig limit, these companies
> make me sick, I'm ok with the whole limited bandwidth but a huge ISP
> like BT can buy 1 gig of bandwidth for less than a quid, you'd think
> they would empose a realistic limit

No Pipex dont say there the cheapest. Pipex are one of the big players in ADSL and have had cheap prices for years. Some ADSL ISPs are coming in a little cheaper with unlimited services but some do not allow p2p or are basic packages with out newsgroups etc. Pipex do unlimited 512K for £23.44, you get webspace, BBCi, email, newsgroups etc so the whole package for a cheap price. There maybe companies that beat that but Pipex deliver a great service.

I do aggree 1 or 2Gb a month is pretty stupid, for 512K I would say make it 3 or 4Gb and double that for 1Mb if your on a capped service. One thing to remember is that it costs an ISP something like £13.99 a month to rent a 512K line from BT, so an ISP needs to add money onto that to actually make any money from you.

I think capped services have the place in the market as people do want broadband to be able to stay connected 24/7, have low pings and be able to load webpages faster etc. I am glad that ISPs have started to add 150K and 250K services, as people who dont want 512K but do want something better than 56K now have a pretty ok speed for the same sort of money as 56K anytime packages. I think before we can move to cheap 1Mb(sub £20) and even sub £30 2Mb there needs to be more subscribers to ADSL to push the prices set by BT down.
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:01
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
2 gigs per month, I bet they claim to be the cheapest ISP ever like BT with there 19.99 a month package with 1 gig limit, these companies make me sick, I'm ok with the whole limited bandwidth but a huge ISP like BT can buy 1 gig of bandwidth for less than a quid, you'd think they would empose a realistic limit
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
What ISP are you looking at? Because Pipex have introduced some new services which have caps on them which are cheaper. They now offer
unlimited 150K for £15.99
unlimited 250K for £17.99
1GB a month 512K for £19.99
unlimited 512K for £23.44
2Gb a month 1Mb for £28.99
unlimited 1Mb for £33.99

For the capped services you can buy and extra 1Gb for £3 or something. For the money spend the extra few pounds on unlimited services as XBox Live or online PC games could easily take you over 1Gb in a month depending on how much you play online, and downloading files, surfing the internet will mean high bandwidth rates.

PC gaming can use maybe 20Mb for a couple of hours. XBox Live is usually using more from what I remember. Looking at the prices if you get 1Gb 512K service go over 2Gb in a month and your spending more than a unlimited 512K service. You say you dont download much but if your on dial-up you havent got the speed to do so. But with Broadband you can get easily get 200mb in 1 hour on 512K and 400mb on 1Mb. 5 Hours of full speed and your monthly limit on both of them is used up.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:28
Regular
"Nobody Home"
www.force9.net, cheaper than most ISPs, excellent tech support, only £24.99 with free activation and modem, or £21.99 p/m for the service only.

O, and no bandwidth limitations to worry about. Limiting you to 2Gb is rubbish. I got my broadband on wednesday and have downloaded about 4Gbs already over these 4 days.

Dan.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:18
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
2 GB is hardly anything, you'll easily got over that if you play games online.

NTL do 1GB a day which is more than enough for 99% of people, except the people who claim that they have to download their Linux distributions every day!
Sun 25/04/04 at 12:33
"I love yo... lamp."
I'd advise against it. I don't know how much Live uses, but I find it very easy to use a good few hundred megabytes a day just surfing, not even downloading things.

2 Gb isn't all that much. Don't know who you were looking at, but the capped deals like that often have uncapped deals for only a couple of pounds extra.

Plus, if you have broadband, you might download stuff.
Sun 25/04/04 at 11:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hello.

Am currently looking into broadband ISPs, and there's a deal which limits you monthly bandwith to 2GB. I don't download music, but I do download some film trailers/game trailers every now and then.

What I was really wondering - does this affect online play much? I mean, does using Xbox Live or my PC for gaming online dwindle this limit rapidly, or is it really irrelevant?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.