GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Fez"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/04/04 at 13:51
Regular
The fez is the greatest hat in the world.

Discuss.
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:51
Regular
The fez is the greatest hat in the world.

Discuss.
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Notable"
Green sea-food is the best form of contraceptive.
Sat 24/04/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Notable"
Though it's salty.....*Thinks* Perhaps you must wear an anti-sodium chloride detergant.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:04
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The fez, which in Turkey represented the traditionalist and religious spirit, was not of Turkish but of African origin, and bore the name of the city of Fez, where there were the best factories of this kind of headgear. It consists of a cylindrical cap of scarlet or purple felt, ornamented with a tassel of long black cord. Having no peak, it was a great nuisance on sunny days, and since it had to be worn on all occasions, even in closed places, during meals, and in offices, the colour and lower part were deformed by perspiration.

The fez became generally worn amongst the Greeks on the islands and the Anatolian coast of the Aegean. It had been instituted by the Sultan Mahmut II, the reformer who wished to Westernize the Empire but who lacked the moral strength of the Gazi, who was to achieve this later on. The Padişah wanted to make his subjects adopt a uniform headgear, since until that time they had been using the most varied turbans, caps and coiffures. The different parts of the Army and Navy, as also the Imperial Guards and Janissaries, distinguished themselves by their headgear, which was in some cases so large and complicated that it was sometimes a real impediment. Civil servants and administrators showed their rank by the shape and colour of their turbans, as was also the case with the different categories of clergy and dervish sects. It was easy to distinguish a man by his headgear.

At a time when the Empire was still large, and the Padişah had numerous non-Moslem subjects, and while the Great Powers were exercising pressure in favour of non-Moslem's rights, Mahmut's policy of eliminating as far as possible the signs which separated them from the Faithful was an intelligent one. Mahmut tried not only to standardise headgear with the fez, but also to Westernize the from of dress. He himself wore a simple frock coat buttoned up to the neck, and trousers, with a European style cloak over all, capped and sumptuous clothing of the time of Selim III, Mustafa IV and Abdülhamit I.

When Mahmut began his fez campaign in 1829 he believed that it would be accepted by the people without much protest, because of its convenience and because it suited the rules of Moslem ritual, which demand that player is made with the head covered, and that the forehead is touched to the ground as a sign of humility. It was in every way a delicate subject. The Sultan wished before all else to attract support from the higher class of what can be called the Moslem clergy, the ulemas, that is the Doctors of Theology and senior priests. He knew that if they accepted the fez, the people would do likewise. However the mosques trembled at the first attempt. What! A hoca, an imam, wearing a fez? The Seyhülislam, Minister for Religion, categorically refused to obey the Imperial ruling, although he was a liberal man who had often supported the Sultan's reforming ideas; this new proposal, however, went beyond all limits. He declared: "The Sultan can cause the head of his slave to fall, but he must not profane it". The affair reached such dimensions that Mahmut feared revolution, and decided not to insist upon it.

Little by little the fez came into general use, and with the exception of men of religion and those who pretended to be such, who went on using the turban, the country adopted it, so that it came to represent the spirit of the nation and the religion, the opposite of what it ad been originally considered, a symbol of anti-Islamic reforms.

In 1903, the Red Sultan tried to have the cavalry troops adopt the kalpak, which was of Turkoman origin, but the Seyhülislam and his counsellors declared that the sacred fez could not be replaced by the kalpak.

When Kemal began his campaign in 1925 in favour of the the hats used in civilized countries, those who defended the fez used the same arguments as had been used in 1829 by those who favoured the turban. The fez, which at that time had meant progress, was now the emblem of reaction.

I therefore conclude the fez to be the greatest hat of all time.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:06
Regular
"smile, it's free"
All my own work, though I may concede to having a plagiaristic subconsious memory.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:07
Regular
Excellent.

I would have to say, also, the bowler hat is quite good too. I'd love a bowler hat.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Venom - I salute you.

And agreed. The Fez in untouchable. Though, the bowler hat rules muchly, as does the tophat. Though it has to be a really good tophat. Not some magicians one - a tall one and stuff.
Sat 24/04/04 at 14:35
Regular
"Notable"
I wouldn't mind wearing a lampshade for a day.
Sat 24/04/04 at 18:43
Regular
I have a fez in my car...
Sat 24/04/04 at 20:03
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Nah, I'm gonna go for the Trilby. If Sinatra made it cool, then who am I to argue? Not that I've ever worn one, but I would given half the chance. Sinatra could have Tommy Cooper in a fight any day of the week.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.