GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please help me Share Broadband on AdHoc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/04/04 at 22:16
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have just got broadband and I am trying to share the connection using an AdHoc Set up with my PC as the PC that connects directly to the Internet, as in, the PC with the modem.

I have a Linksys 802.11b Wireless Adapter and a Netgear PCMIA 802.11b Card.

Instead of me posting what I have tried to do and failed, could someone talk me through each step of sharing my connection?

My PC (the host) is on Windows XP Pro and the Laptop is on Windows XP Home.

All I have managed to do is make them recognise each other, but no matter what I try I cannot get the internet to work on the Laptop.

I have just been using the Network Setup Wizard, but it doesn't seem to work.

So, basically, could someone please just tell me, step by step, exactly what I need to do to share the connection. I cant think of anything else to try.

Advanced thanks from me if you can please help.

Dan.
Wed 21/04/04 at 22:16
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have just got broadband and I am trying to share the connection using an AdHoc Set up with my PC as the PC that connects directly to the Internet, as in, the PC with the modem.

I have a Linksys 802.11b Wireless Adapter and a Netgear PCMIA 802.11b Card.

Instead of me posting what I have tried to do and failed, could someone talk me through each step of sharing my connection?

My PC (the host) is on Windows XP Pro and the Laptop is on Windows XP Home.

All I have managed to do is make them recognise each other, but no matter what I try I cannot get the internet to work on the Laptop.

I have just been using the Network Setup Wizard, but it doesn't seem to work.

So, basically, could someone please just tell me, step by step, exactly what I need to do to share the connection. I cant think of anything else to try.

Advanced thanks from me if you can please help.

Dan.
Thu 22/04/04 at 05:51
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Have you enabled connection sharing on the XP Pro machine? If you do Start->Run->"cmd", and then type "ipconfig" at the command prompt, what is the output?
Thu 22/04/04 at 07:47
Regular
"Nobody Home"
please see http://www.djdd.co.uk/ipconfig.JPG

Thanks.
Thu 22/04/04 at 11:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
danieldone wrote:
> please see http://www.djdd.co.uk/ipconfig.JPG
>
>
> Thanks.

*Starts probing for security vulnerabilities*
Thu 22/04/04 at 15:01
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Its a dynamic IP, so go ahead.
Thu 22/04/04 at 16:12
Regular
"Nobody Home"
But, just incase, I altered it:

[URL]http://www.djdd.co.uk/ipconfig1.JPG[/URL]

I have blanked the IP Addresses, so they are there, just hidden.
Thu 22/04/04 at 19:51
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Well, I worked it out myself, just had to type in IPs, DNS, etc manually.

Works now.

Can someone tell me how to improve signal strength though? Will a bake bean can placed on my aerial help?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.