GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hypothetical question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 12:52
Regular
I read somewhere recently (the Daily Mail, no less) that one of the reasons for assuming the "brace" position in an air crash is that it preserves the teeth better, allowing for a cheap form of identification if you crash and burn. This led to a long debate on the following question:

How do you know if the body you get back is the one you were meant to get?

A bit morbid perhaps, but the possibility exists after an event such as a plane crash, where the bodies will be in pieces and burnt, that you might not get back what you were expecting. The real question I suppose is "are there doctors that would knowingly give you back a body, where they weren't sure of the indentity to: a) give peace of mind to relatives, b) make it quick and easy for themselves?". A bit of a paranoid and cynical way to look at the world, but, in theory at least, it could happen - and it's not like doctor's take their oath and from then on do no wrong - Look at Harold shipman, one of Britain's most prolific serial killers.

The only positive way of identifying a body is either DNA, or dental records. So short of having your own medical lab, you have to take the doctor's word. Are you the sort of person that would question this? Is he Quincy, or a bit shifty, like Dr No? Would the doctor's word provide the peace of mind you need to be reassured that it's the body you want back? The only way I could think of this being disproved is if the victim had an artificial limb, or gold teeth, then had a cremation. But how many people look at the ashes after a cremation, or indeed at a body after a plane crash?

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but it's just hypothetical. The sad fact is that there are probably people in the medical profession that would do this sort of thing to save time and money.
Thu 19/06/03 at 13:13
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
Good question though!
Its a bit like getting cremated anyway. For instance my dad died and he was cremated, but when your given back the ashes you dont know wat or who you getting.
The reason being the people that do the cremation do it when there is a few bodies to be cremated so that the save on fuel.BELIEVE IT OR NOT ITS TRUE, afterwards all the ashes from the bodies are given to the people that want the ashes. So if you think about it your getting bak a bit of everyone. They dont just cremate one person at one time.
Thu 19/06/03 at 13:08
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I would imagine that the law prevents them from giving the wrong body away, incase the real owners turn up.

But then you can't trust the law nowadays, seeing as you get more jailtime for camcordering at a cinema than you do getting drunk, going driving and killing someone....
Thu 19/06/03 at 13:04
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Not entirely true. It all depends on whether the fuel ignites or not. Aviation gas is a special mix that when ingnited flares up but then dies down very quickly. If it does set fire to the plane and passengers, they're more likely to have the skin burnt away and leave a skeleton. If it's a "nose-down" crash, then they'll probably lose most of their limbs.
Thu 19/06/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
In an air crash the whole thing would most likely explode and leave very little of anything left.
Thu 19/06/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I read somewhere recently (the Daily Mail, no less) that one of the reasons for assuming the "brace" position in an air crash is that it preserves the teeth better, allowing for a cheap form of identification if you crash and burn. This led to a long debate on the following question:

How do you know if the body you get back is the one you were meant to get?

A bit morbid perhaps, but the possibility exists after an event such as a plane crash, where the bodies will be in pieces and burnt, that you might not get back what you were expecting. The real question I suppose is "are there doctors that would knowingly give you back a body, where they weren't sure of the indentity to: a) give peace of mind to relatives, b) make it quick and easy for themselves?". A bit of a paranoid and cynical way to look at the world, but, in theory at least, it could happen - and it's not like doctor's take their oath and from then on do no wrong - Look at Harold shipman, one of Britain's most prolific serial killers.

The only positive way of identifying a body is either DNA, or dental records. So short of having your own medical lab, you have to take the doctor's word. Are you the sort of person that would question this? Is he Quincy, or a bit shifty, like Dr No? Would the doctor's word provide the peace of mind you need to be reassured that it's the body you want back? The only way I could think of this being disproved is if the victim had an artificial limb, or gold teeth, then had a cremation. But how many people look at the ashes after a cremation, or indeed at a body after a plane crash?

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but it's just hypothetical. The sad fact is that there are probably people in the medical profession that would do this sort of thing to save time and money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.