GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hypothetical question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 12:52
Regular
I read somewhere recently (the Daily Mail, no less) that one of the reasons for assuming the "brace" position in an air crash is that it preserves the teeth better, allowing for a cheap form of identification if you crash and burn. This led to a long debate on the following question:

How do you know if the body you get back is the one you were meant to get?

A bit morbid perhaps, but the possibility exists after an event such as a plane crash, where the bodies will be in pieces and burnt, that you might not get back what you were expecting. The real question I suppose is "are there doctors that would knowingly give you back a body, where they weren't sure of the indentity to: a) give peace of mind to relatives, b) make it quick and easy for themselves?". A bit of a paranoid and cynical way to look at the world, but, in theory at least, it could happen - and it's not like doctor's take their oath and from then on do no wrong - Look at Harold shipman, one of Britain's most prolific serial killers.

The only positive way of identifying a body is either DNA, or dental records. So short of having your own medical lab, you have to take the doctor's word. Are you the sort of person that would question this? Is he Quincy, or a bit shifty, like Dr No? Would the doctor's word provide the peace of mind you need to be reassured that it's the body you want back? The only way I could think of this being disproved is if the victim had an artificial limb, or gold teeth, then had a cremation. But how many people look at the ashes after a cremation, or indeed at a body after a plane crash?

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but it's just hypothetical. The sad fact is that there are probably people in the medical profession that would do this sort of thing to save time and money.
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Kyz22 wrote:
> In an air crash the whole thing would most likely explode and leave
> very little of anything left.

I don't know the full facts and detail of this but...

They found one of the bodies of the stewardesses on the 9/11 flights and managed to come to the conclusion that she had been tied up.

I don't know what the remains were like but they couldn't have been that bad if they were able to identify her like that.
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:02
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
or go to http://www.sgvolkel.nl/g222/g222_mm62153%5B3w%5D.jpg
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:00
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
I saw an aircraft crash at an airshow, RIAT 2002, because i'm a cadet I was on the flight line (about 20-30 meters from the runway, in front of the crowd.) Luckily no one was injured, but the planes wheel buckled up as it came to land and was skidding on it's nose. The aircraft was a G-222 (AKA Baby hercules). You can see pictures of it if you search for G-222 crash.
Thu 19/06/03 at 21:57
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
*cover
Thu 19/06/03 at 21:57
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
The brace position in an aircraft also helps keep you alive, you can imagine people and hand luggage flying around inside like at 300kph when the plane impacts with the ground, therefore, making yourself smaller and taking cober behind a seat could save your life from flying objects.
Thu 19/06/03 at 21:56
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
Skorp1on wrote:
> If I was dead, and could think, up with the big guy, I wouldn't really
> mind that much if people didn't know which body was mine or, the wrong
> body was belived to be mine. It's the soul of the person you respect
> and love, not the shell, or body they temporery body they live in.
> It's like respecting clothing. That's what I believe anyway, sorry if
> that upsets anyone, but that's my view.

i totally agree with you! The soul lives on...
Thu 19/06/03 at 21:55
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
If I was dead, and could think, up with the big guy, I wouldn't really mind that much if people didn't know which body was mine or, the wrong body was belived to be mine. It's the soul of the person you respect and love, not the shell, or body they temporery body they live in. It's like respecting clothing. That's what I believe anyway, sorry if that upsets anyone, but that's my view.
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:56
Regular
"Light of the world"
hell...i'd care!!

I spose its a cheaper Cremation?? no sorry (out of tact)

And what if you was buried under someone elses name

Going back to the ...what would you have on your gravestone topic!

Anyway, the thought is actually quite sickening, it must happen but that's life. In a crash like that Kyz22 i right your dead so..
Thu 19/06/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Garlic Bread!? wrote:
> If it was me in the crash, i wouldnt care. If it was a releticve i
> suppose i'd question it!

Well you wouldn't care majourly because you would be dead!
Thu 19/06/03 at 13:43
Regular
"Hallelujah"
If it was me in the crash, i wouldnt care. If it was a releticve i suppose i'd question it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.