GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Great Console War"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 20:13
Regular
The Playstation has there sequal to there console which has sold more than any other, Nintendo are going to show everyone how to do a good handheld as well as create more of the greatest games in the world while Microsoft prepares to beat all opposition in the gaming industry...

WHO WILL WIN

After the popularity of the playstation there is no reason why the public wont go for playstation again but are they fed up of seeing the same old games? Do Sony have the innovations to keep them afloat? So far so good although sales haven't been stunning but the orders are now all over the world starting to pick up and their sequals are all amazing.

Nintendo are back and after the late success of the 64 it looks as if their success could continue on the Gamecube. At the moment in Japan the Gameboy Colour is number 1 ahead of PS2 so the Gameboy advanced will surly smash sales records again. But can Nintendo keep inovating? Can they keep their slightly more adult image on the Gamecube? Yet just remmember the Gamecube is the only actual game console not a multimedia console .

The X box, Microsofts new wonder machine could flop like the Philips CDI or hit the top like the playstation im betting on the latter but... Can Microsoft sell cheap? Can they make games? Are they just creating a new PC? we will have to wait!

So Who will win what do you think?

Fri 02/03/01 at 03:53
BTW, what precisely do I do to claim my prize? Just send an empty message to them?
Fri 02/03/01 at 02:59
Well, rehanhaque, they'll have plenty of room to put out crappy games, just as they always have. For example, just because someone bought a PS2 and a number of their games suck, it doesn't mean they're willing to pay another couple of hundred bucks for a new system to escape from that. But yeah, I wish what you're saying were true, though I'm afraid we've plenty of worthless titles in our future.
Fri 02/03/01 at 02:29
with all these great consoles, the obvious winner has to be us....the consumer. The game developers can no longer afford to bring out average games, with all the competion around they will have to produce quality in order to make money. Hopefully we will be spoilt for choice.
Fri 02/03/01 at 00:35
The problem I foresee with the X-Box is actually rather simple: Everything I've read about it thus far, all the games with the exception of Malice and Munch's Oddysee, are either ports of PS2 games, will be available cross-platform, or are going to be available for the PC. That's a problem for them, and it will harm their console. As I stated, I'm not going to buy a X-Box because I don't see that I'm going to get near as much in trade. For example: One reason why I might want a X-Box is to play "Halo," but that's coming out for PC; I have a good PC at the moment, so the fact that it's coming out for X-Box means nothing to me. Why should I pay 3-400 bucks for something I already have access to?

Sure, Microsoft merged the PC and Console together to form the X-Box, but the problem is that it appears the Gamecube will be capable (possibly even more capable) than it to handle graphics, it'll have online capabilities (if you want them), and it'll probably cost half as much. Personally, I think if anything is going to kill the X-Box, it's the Gamecube and the ever-popular, ever-present, and ever-powerful PC. The X-Box's popularity is based on its pure power, but no console can compete with even my laptop. And I'm not alone here: Most online-gaming enthusiasts already have systems that are more than capable of putting the X-Box in its place and, since most games that are going to be available for the thing are cross-platform (including PC), that IS going to hurt it.

It may not kill it; I've said it might. That's my opinion, but the thing is, of all my gaming friends, NONE of them has any interest in the X-Box, for one reason or another. If they want online, console-based gaming, many of them have said they'd prefer the Gamecube to avoid any chance of EVER seeing the Blue Screen of Death (TM); if they have a PC, all they have to do is wait since the games will eventually make their way over to it. Yet the ones with PCs have even illustrated some interest in the Gamecube, since it'll have games you can't play anywhere else. True, this isn't the same as some massive, online poll, but it does give me some idea of what the issues to come will be.
Fri 02/03/01 at 00:13
Um...I'm still sort of a newbie here: I get a prize?
Thu 01/03/01 at 18:47
Regular
Nintendo will do well. Sony will do well. Microsoft will probably do well. Sega will do well. Playstation may have their head start but no matter how far ahead they may be I don't believe the price of the PS2 will even match that of the Gamecube but apart from that sony have lots of support and because of that help they will be a success.

Nintendo have gained a lot of lost ground reacently the popularity has gone up and with the hype around the Gamecube they will do well.

The big worry is that of Microsoft I do believe their apparently revolutionary console has the worst controller ever mixed with a big bulky PS2 look a like machine. Sony though also had this situation way back in 1995 and look where they are today and i'm sure Microsoft has been looking at this market for some time and you shouldn't think it is just a mini PC because it is designed to play games.

Sega is the one they all want! Microsoft would love to have a very experienced company helping them. Sony rely heavily on 3rd party developers so Sega is also desired by them. Nintendo have been keen on their old rivals for some time and their increasing friendship and as Sega announced they think the Gamecube is a dream to work on Nintendo will be happy to have them aboard. That's all 3 companys desiring Sega so it is obvious to me that Sega will be huge.

Nintendo, Sega and Sony are all primed to go over the top of the trenches again and when we get to yet another generation of consoles we may have a new company aboard the console market and another may have also fallen but who and when is just a matter of waiting.
Thu 01/03/01 at 18:13
Hi
Thu 01/03/01 at 11:38
Regular
"You've upset me"
I mispelled:

the words Game By are

Sorry, mean't Game Boy :-)
Thu 01/03/01 at 11:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
The PS2 is available on a global scale. It has got more of a head start on Nintendo than last time. It’s ahead again, and it’s selling by the bucket load.

Sega’s Dreamcast is a dying machine from a dying company. It poses no threat to anyone.

Microsoft is coming. Bill Gates has developed the perfect machine, a PC and a console combined. It’s more powerful by far than anything else on the market, and when it arrives it will rule the world with an iron fist. The once mighty Nintendo is doomed!

Yeah, right , and A1 DESERVED that Brit for best newcomer… Hear ye , o cynical ones. I’ve heard all the jokes, rumours, putdowns and I feel that a couple of facts need to be emphasised. Don’t misread the situation. Nintendo is being very quiet about the GameCube for a calculated and very good reason. It can afford to spout off about the Game Boy Advance. The GBA has no competition (not yet anyway), a reservoir full of games in development, and the publics eyes, the words Game By are synonymous with handheld gaming. The secrecy concerning the GC shows a wise company, which has learned the hard way.

Let’s go back to August 1995. Nintendo holds it’s annual Spaceworld event in Tokyo. The N64 is unveiled to the world, no holds barred. Every single bit of information about the console is released, including the analogue joystick and the Rumble Pak. Sony and Sega executives soil their CKs and hide in the corner. Then… the bombshell. The N64 is being delayed until March 1996. Sony and Sega executives rub their hands together and run home, giggling. Come February, Nintendo announces yet another delay, this time until July 26th. This gives the competition a good ten months to develop their own analogue joypads and Rumble Paks. Literally weeks after the N64’s launch, Sega releases NiGHTS with their new analogue joypad. Soon Sony follows suit.

Nintendo has always been the source of innovation. The D-pad, the analogue control pad, the Rumble Pak, the Voice Recognition Unit for Hey You! Pikachu, the Transfer Pak and the re-writable storage of the 64DD (what did happen to that? I know it got released in Japan…) All of Nintendo’s ideas have been copied and exploited. This won’t happen again. Everything will be unveiled at E3 in May, two months before the GC launches in Japan. The mind (at least my mind boggles) as to just what advancements Mr.Miyamoto and the various R&D teams have come up with. There have been rumours, but nothing confirmed…
Wed 28/02/01 at 20:11
Regular
Don't forget to claim your prize Savant. You won for that post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.