GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Great Console War"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/01/01 at 20:13
Regular
The Playstation has there sequal to there console which has sold more than any other, Nintendo are going to show everyone how to do a good handheld as well as create more of the greatest games in the world while Microsoft prepares to beat all opposition in the gaming industry...

WHO WILL WIN

After the popularity of the playstation there is no reason why the public wont go for playstation again but are they fed up of seeing the same old games? Do Sony have the innovations to keep them afloat? So far so good although sales haven't been stunning but the orders are now all over the world starting to pick up and their sequals are all amazing.

Nintendo are back and after the late success of the 64 it looks as if their success could continue on the Gamecube. At the moment in Japan the Gameboy Colour is number 1 ahead of PS2 so the Gameboy advanced will surly smash sales records again. But can Nintendo keep inovating? Can they keep their slightly more adult image on the Gamecube? Yet just remmember the Gamecube is the only actual game console not a multimedia console .

The X box, Microsofts new wonder machine could flop like the Philips CDI or hit the top like the playstation im betting on the latter but... Can Microsoft sell cheap? Can they make games? Are they just creating a new PC? we will have to wait!

So Who will win what do you think?

Fri 04/05/01 at 01:45
Regular
well, i got both and i have to say i hate the PSX hand think my nintendo console is da best. Does this not make me a "true gamer?" I mainly buy nintendo games as they seem to be of higher quality to me. I only ever bought one game for the ps which i thought was good.
Wed 02/05/01 at 18:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I know someone who owns both, and he dosen't care about which is better. A true gamer.
Fri 27/04/01 at 21:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Batistuta wrote:
> people who own and like both the 64 and sony console are pritty
> rare. so respect goes out to you M16.

Cheers! :-)
Wed 25/04/01 at 23:08
Regular
people who own and like both the 64 and sony console are pritty rare. so respect goes out to you M16. i personally wouldnt go for PS2 or x-box. never really like the style of games on the PS2 and i prefer the "babyish" games from nintendo. X-box seems to big for my bedroom anyway, its huge! the pad also looks weird to hold. i cant see Microsoft making somthin which is enjoyable. i hope it flops.
Wed 25/04/01 at 16:33
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I have mixed feelings about the X-Box. I don’t know why. Obviously, it’s going to be a very, very powerful games console. I know specs aren’t everything but it did come out on top, for most things. As I say, specs don’t matter. As long as you have great games, with good graphics that’s all what counts.

I have never been a big fan of Microsoft, and I’m sure that the X-Box won’t make me feel any different, no matter how good of a console it’s going to be.

I have a PS2, which is a superb console. I am also going to get a Gamecube, because I loved the N64 so much, so I can’t miss out on the opportunity to get Nintendo’s next machine. People are asking the question “What console will win?” I personally think there will be no “winner” and that it is going to be fairly the same as the history between the PS1 and N64. Both consoles were loved by people, and both consoles had quality game son them. There was not a clear winner, and I was far from disappointed with this.

We have to start seeing gaming for what it’s for. Playing games and enjoying them. Even if everyone hates a console, don’t YOU be put off buy it, because YOU may like it. Not everyone has the same tastes as one another so we are all going to have mixed views about consoles.

The big issue with the N64 (for some people) was that it produced too many babyish games. I don’t think they did. Okay the games like Mario has friendly graphics, but I would certainly not think that a baby will be able to complete the game, I'’ 14 and it took me a while to complete it.

The “babyish” games, in my opinion, are great. Give someone the afternoon of playing CBFD and see if their opinion has changed.

Nintendo are aware that some people class their previous console (N64) as being a kiddie’s machine. This is why they are planing to make a few “adult” style games. Whatever game they make, just concentrate on making them fun and enjoyable.
Tue 24/04/01 at 11:00
I think that the X-box will fail personally. Microsoft may have the marketing money, but they do not have the experience in the game market. I think that the connections with Windows may not help them here.

I think it will be between Nintendo and Sony. I personally will be getting a Gamecube.

Each of the consoles has a number of good points. Both are powerful, although there are claims that the Gamecube is more powerful. The reputation of Nintendo will probably help, but they must back it up with advertising to get newer players to buy.

PS2 was released first, which was the problem with the N64, although loyal fans may stick with it, people who are undecided might not wait.

If Nintendo get Squaresoft on board, the that could help them a lot.

I aggree with comments ade about more adult games, although a lot f quality games are not adult as such. For example, the Final Fantasy series if Nintendo got square on board. Nintendo should not shy away from mature games, but should have a balance. I would like to see the likes of half-life on Gamecube.

I think the timing is critical, as if Nintendo leave it too late, then many people might already buy the PS2. I will wait, but I'm not sure if everyone else will. If they want to win customers from sony, they need to really impress us, and show that the Gamecube is worth waiting for.

The X-box might get lucky, if they really promote heavily, like Sony did for PSone, but it may be another Dreamcast, CD-I, or Jaguar. I don't think it will win, although it might not do badly, but there doesn't seem to be a place in the market for a 3rd console to be successful.

Tue 24/04/01 at 01:24
Regular
ahh yes, but none of these are showing anything GC wise at E3. they are all concentrating on PS2.
Thu 19/04/01 at 19:14
Regular
Lots of 3rd party support
Thu 12/04/01 at 12:45
But Nintendo do have 3rd party support.

Capcom, Namco, Midway, Sega, to name just some of the bigger ones.
Fri 06/04/01 at 11:04
Regular
ah yes but nintendo made hefty profits last year. hefty hefty hefty profits. pokemons will come to life and take over........hahahahahaha

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.