GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's gone wrong with Arsenal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/11/00 at 19:16
Regular
Just beaten 4-1 in Champions League, following the 2-0 loss at Everton.

Promising start to the season is in danger of going belly up.
Tue 16/01/01 at 20:27
I think the 'fans' who are questioning Wengers ability would do well to remember the teams that Arsenal fielded under Terry Neil, Don Howe, George Graham and to a lesser extent - Bruce Rioch.

OK - Arsenal were hugely succesful under George Graham but the standard of football AFTER the second championship was awful. Anyone remember the midfield pairing of Martin Keown and David Hillier ?. Those two make Steffen Freud and Tim Sherwood look like Zinedine Zidane and Edgar Davids !!.

I can only assume the people questioning Wenger are young fans who have been spoilt by the quality of football and success we have had under Arsene Wenger, and they have nothing the compare it too. I have been watching Arsenal for 20 years and the talent in the team and the entertain the team provide has never been better.
Tue 16/01/01 at 20:18
I think it is wrong to question Wengers ability. In the four years he has been in charge were the best team in England for one season (the double) and the second best team for the other three seasons. Just remember how tight it was between Arsenal and Man Utd the year they won the treble !!!. It is no disgrace to be the second best team in the land. If it were not for Man Utd we would be totally dominant in English football. If we lost Wenger it would take an exceptionally good replacement to propell us past Man Utd. Ferguson retires soon and then (if he stays) Wenger and his Highbury boys will dominate English football for many years.

My ONE criticism of Wenger is his reluctance to sign a new contract. I reckon he is using the transfer issue as an excuse to delay signing - in order to see what offers come his way when his contract nears an end. This is bad news for Arsenal as it is apparent that the key players at Arsenal (Henry in particular) are looking for Wenger to commit himself before they do the same. The trouble is the Arsenal board are terrified of losing Wenger and will not pressurise him on the issue. The Arsenal board know they have the best man for the job and if any fan who thinks someone can do better than Wenger then perhaps they should name that manager.

Despite the fact we have not given Man Utd much of a fight this season we still have a great deal to play for. On our day we ARE capable of beating ANY team in Europe. It is often the talented but inconsistent teams which win cup competitions - so don't rule out Wenger leading the boys out in the San Siro in May for the Champions League final.
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:20
Questions are now being asked about Wenger as he has admitted his failure to replace the heart of the defence. What about his tactical ability. The last two home games saw Arsenal confortable in the first half but totally unable to respond to the oppositions tactical shifts in the second. This led to dropped points against both Sunderland and Chelsea.

Wenger will need to find an answer quickly as Arsenal have looked unable to adapt quickly. The second half against Chelsea was abysmal. MOTD flattered us by showing a flurry of activity in the last 5 mins, but for 40 mins we created nothing.

Still, at least thye season has a bit of life in it now. I didn't fancy months of limping along behind Utd, as most people (perhaps arrogantly) seemed to expect. At least now, a genuine scrap for a guarenteed European place could provide a bit of drama.
Mon 15/01/01 at 09:07
Regular
"not dead"
But now it's 13 points!

Arsenal are still dropping points, but Man Utd aren't.

It's likely to all be over by March.

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:56
If Arsenal can reduce Man Utds lead from 11 points to 8 points by the time the teams meet at Old Trafford in March it could be game on.

Arsenal have a good record at OT and I would give them a good chance of winning that game, thus reducing Utd's lead to just 5 points. Then we would have a interesting final 6 or 7 weeks of the season.

COME ON !!!!!!!
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:45
Edu will be good IF he carries the same attitude as Silvinho. Luckily South American players do seem to have a better attitude towards the physical element of the game (surprisingly).

Arsenal have struggled this season mainly because we have lost the ability to 'dig in' and grind out results away from home. The ability to grind out results requires players like Petite as opposed to Pires and Lauren. I am not knocking to two new boys but neither fancy a physical battle on a cold afternoon away from Highbury. This has caused Wenger to lose the balance that the team had prior to the start of this season. We also badly miss the goal scoring contribution from Overmars. Neither Parlour or Pires are renowed for goalscoring. Overmars could be relied upon to get 12 or more a season (a bit like Brian Marwood - remember him?).

Man Utd have a tougher TEAM. All their midfield players including the wide men will knock goals in week in week out and they are can be physical when they need to be. Giggs maybe a bit of a tart but not compared to Pires.

I am sure Wenger will get the boys back on track soon and we will be stronger in the second half of the season. Just a pity we are now too far adrift to seriously challenge for the title.
Wed 10/01/01 at 17:44
Regular
He will be good, if he gets a fair share of games, off from the bench.
Wed 10/01/01 at 15:24
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
To be honest, I don't knowm much about Edu as a player so can't form any opinion on whether or not he is the answer we are looking for.

Furthermore, last night Wenger said that even if we sign him this week he expects it to take him up to 6 months to settle into the English game. Wenger calims that Edu is not part of his plans for the 2000/2001 season. This still leaves us short in midfield (not to mention in goal, at the back and up front!).
Mon 08/01/01 at 15:05
Regular
We don't want a whinger back in our team again. It won't happen and we need to look forward.
Does anyone want Edu coming so why are you avoiding putting his name in as replacement?
Mon 08/01/01 at 12:29
I agree that we should buy back Petit - for anything less than £4m. Hopefully the bad experience he has had at Barcelona will have sorted out his bad attitude towards the English game.

Petit should take a leaf out of Vierra's book. Vierra has come in for so much stick, from pundits and players. No one could have blamed Vierra for retilliation for the tackles he received against Charlton and Carlisle. Yet he got up and carried on with the game. He has now gone 19 matches without a booking !!.

Patrick Vierra - Top Man, Top Attititude, Top Player, Next Arsenal Captain.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.