GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Splitters 2 - Out Tomorrow - But...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Timesplitters 2'.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:25
Just out of curiosity, is anyone here going to give this game a miss and wait until next month for the likes of James Bond: Nightfire, Medal of Honour & Unreal Championship (Xbox)? Personally, I prefer visual realism in FPS games rather than the (average looking) cartoon style graphics featured in TS2. Developed by the guys behind Goldeneye, I have no doubt that the game will play extremely well. However, seeing the preview footage of Nightfire, I am optimistic that it will be a superiour single player game to TS2, and not too far behind it in the multiplayer stakes.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:21
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Halo was a massive disappointment for me. I played it expecting a brilliant game but it all seemed a bit simple. I played a lot on multiplayer, breifly on one player and then a bit on co-operative (which ended in a deathmatch anyway).

The one thing that I hated about multiplayer was that it took so little skill. It was so easy to get a head shot every time and crap players could just get on a vehicle and either run a skilled player down or blow him up.

The one-player didn't seem bad although I didn't get into it enough to be able to fully tell.

I thought it was supposed to be revolutionary but there was nothing there. The way of controlling the vehicles was really good but I didn't like the ideas of vehicles in the first place so it didn't matter as I never used them.

I was disapointed with Medal of Honor Frontline too. I waited for that for ages and it's not even that good. It isn't bad but it's not THAT fun to play. If I die on a level, I can never be bothered to play through the level again like I would do on a great game. It was more a thing I had to do than wanted to do.

Plus, there was no multiplayer and that's unforgivable.

Timesplitters isn't bad. I got it for a tenner a while ago and although the single player is truly sh*te, the multiplayer does make up for it. Sort of. It's just it doesn't seem as skillful or as involving as Goldeneye or Perfect Dark (which I would still say are the best FPSs available).

I'm hoping TS2 will be the first absolutely fantastic FPS since Perfect Dark and from the demo, it looks like it might be.

I'll wait for the GC version though I think. Even though I don't yet have a GC of my own. :-(
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:16
Regular
"everyone says it"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Yes, it was too jerky. It was like playing a laggy FPS on my PC on a
> particularly laggy day in lag town. That was my main gripe, hence
> 'diabolical'.

Lol! Hi Mir.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:14
Regular
"Livin' it down"
Well I don't know out it being the best shooter, I'll just have to wait tommrow when I get my copy. :)
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:01
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Laggy McLag went to buy a Lag in Lag Toon
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Ant wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
> I thought Red Faction was (Alan Hansen mode) diabolical.

> You really thought it was that bad?

Yes, it was too jerky. It was like playing a laggy FPS on my PC on a particularly laggy day in lag town. That was my main gripe, hence 'diabolical'.

I didn't really like the original Time Splitters much either, it was a bit 'bland' looking for my tastes and there was no continuity nor the ability to take one character through all the levels from the start.

However having played the demo of TS2 I have high hopes for the sequel.
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:57
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yes, I do.
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:57
Regular
"I like cheese"
er-no wrote:
> There Ant goes answering himself again :-D

Do I do that a lot?
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:56
Regular
"I like cheese"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> TimeSplitters 2 rocks, I already have my copy.
>
> *booyah*
>
> Booyah.

Played Red Faction 2 yet? :D
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
Krieger wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> Red Faction wasn't bad.
>
>
> HAHAHA!!

Shush. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.