GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Splitters 2 - Out Tomorrow - But...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Timesplitters 2'.
Thu 17/10/02 at 07:27
Regular
Will it be crowned the Best Shooter Ever?

It's a tough call considering that I'm no expert in the shoot 'em up genre, although I've played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, a little bit of Halo, Agent Under Fire, and a few other titles.

Time Splitters 2 has a great background. Developed by Free Radical Design (who formerly worked on GoldenEye), incorporating a 'homage level' to that particular game (the first level is based on the Dam Level from GoldenEye), and the original Time Splitters got rave reviews at launch (it was one of the first games out on the PS2).

The gaming press have been raving about TS2 for a few months, and now that most of the reviews have been done, TS2 appears to score highly in all of them bar Edge, I haven't read Edge this month. Knowing them they probably gave it a 3/10 just to be different.

I personally don't feel that the TS2 storyline could live up to that of Half Life's, but then on a console Half Life is pretty much a single player game anyway, so the story is more important. What seems to be catching everyone's attention is the TS2 multiplayer options, level editing features, game modes and sheer speed of running.

And possibly the one thing that makes one shooter better than the other is how much fun it involves when you frag your mates instead of a bot.

The one outstanding shooter on XBox so far has been Halo
The one outstanding shooter on PS2 is yet to arrive, MGS2 perhaps been the closest, or maybe even Medal of Honour, I can't think of better ones at the moment.

So the question to think on today is: Will Time Splitters 2 be better than Halo, MGS2 and Medal of Honour.

Tomorrow I'd like to see some answers.

Then in 2 weeks time when it comes out on the Gamecube I'd like to see some more opinions, even if they are written in crayon.
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
El blokey wrote:
> ...you can use GoldenEye controls for TS2. It's one of the presets.

*A tear forms in the corner of my eye*
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:47
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
...you can use GoldenEye controls for TS2. It's one of the presets.
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Sjigga wrote:
> Out of curiosioty, would you prefer to use the N64 pad for todays FPS
> games?

Absolutely, to be honest the gamecube pad is tosh for FPS games, but ive only really tried it on agent under fire, and that really shouldnt have progressed beyond the drawing board.
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:02
"High polygon count"
Sjigga wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is anyone here going to give this game a miss
> and wait until next month for the likes of James Bond: Nightfire,
> Medal of Honour & Unreal Championship (Xbox)?

Nope. Not interested in James Bond games or Unreal, and I completed Medal of Honour on PC months ago.
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Sjigga wrote:
> Out of curiosioty, would you prefer to use the N64 pad for todays FPS
> games?

Well, I would prefer to use a mouse and keyboard, but yes.
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:50
cookie monster wrote:
> Sjigga wrote:
> So I had to hold the left side
> (as you would when using the D-pad) and stretch my thumb across to
> the
> centre where the analogue stick was. My cousin (who loved it)
> thought
> I was a freak
>
> I would have to agree with him, saying that you couldnt hold the
> controller in the proper way is like saying you couldnt hold a gun.

I figured someone would agree with him. As I said, I got used to it and was able to play games successfully, but was never completely satisfied with the placement of the analogue stick. It's probably because it feels more natural to have it on the left side as that is how I have been playing games since the days of the NES. This is why I prefer the positioning of the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox analogue sticks to the one on the N64. Incidentally, everything else about the N64 controller was perfect though.

Out of curiosioty, would you prefer to use the N64 pad for todays FPS games?
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:28
well im set till christmas,time splitters 2 then star fox and then metroid prime,all look and all will be great.
AND may i just say mario sunshine is a class game,no matter which jelous ps2 or xbox fan disagrees .game cube is by far the best console
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Sjigga wrote:
> So I had to hold the left side
> (as you would when using the D-pad) and stretch my thumb across to the
> centre where the analogue stick was. My cousin (who loved it) thought
> I was a freak

I would have to agree with him, saying that you couldnt hold the controller in the proper way is like saying you couldnt hold a gun.
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:13
"period drama"
Should be getting it tommorrow.
But I hardly ever get anything on time : (

Did you hear about all the mini-games you get me picking up game-cartriges? There a version of snake on one of them.

Then I get Metal Slug X the week after that.
Then GTA3 two weeks after that.
Soootteeeedd etc.

Lardy-da.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:56
Does that have multiplayer?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.