GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 Demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:32
Regular
Sure you've all read about the unofficial leaked demo; it can be downloaded (all 360mb of it) at

http://www.novaesleite.brturbo.com/Doug/Files/doom_iii.rar

you will need to read & print instructions at

http://users.adelphia.net/~nrgonline/doom3/

first though to get it to work properly, frame rate is terrible 17fps with XP2200 and Radeon 9700 ! it hasn't been optimized yet - hope the official demo comes along soon.

Enjoy !
Thu 14/11/02 at 18:53
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
MJswerve wrote:
gf2mx40064mb and
> 128mb ram

You'd get it runnin' with that graphics card (it's better than mine, after all), but after looking in task manager, I've discovered Doom III (pre-alpha D3, that is) takes up a stonking 220mb!!!

:o
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:17
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I think the quality of PC games released is alot higher than the PS2 releases and as they say "it's quality over quantity" that counts.
Plus PS2 games are more expensive than their PC coutnerparts (I know about PC upgrades etc before you mention them!)
I thought this very point last night, reading PC Zone magazine, the average score of the top 10 reviews would be alot higher than the average of the top 10 scoring games in the latest Official Playstation 2 magazine.
See where I'm coming from ???
Tell me when do you think we will see UT2003 or Doom 3 on the PS2 ?
Probably never because the developers do not want to comprimise their product on a machine not capable of the processing/3d power required.
Don't get me wrong I love both the PC and PS2 but the PC has nudged ahead in the favourbility stakes at the moment, after saying that I will be taking part in the weekly GT3 Challenge tonight !
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:55
Regular
u would but u by standards of pc games most dont need new graphics cards....... pc game is dieing slowly i reckon the number of games coming out for it is soooooooooo low.
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:36
Regular
Alpha version I take it. Not going to try it personally as I know it will run really bad on my machine. Mainly due to my gf2mx40064mb and 128mb ram which I desperately need to upgrade, ram being more on my agenda as a gf4ti4600 is too much for me, any of the 4000 range actually :/
Wed 13/11/02 at 23:14
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
*Prods self*

exec activate_demo3
and
vid_restart
after apply the other settings to restart the video..

Need sleep.
Wed 13/11/02 at 23:10
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Normal warez arguments fall down a bit with leaked software, grey area, there's not really losing any money from it, and I for one am damn impressed with what I've seen from very early code, and will probably be buying it later.

Note for everyone experiencing very slow performance - do as that guide says:

activate_demo3 (before starting)
r_mode 3 (set res to 640x480)
r_shadows 0
r_colorbits 16
r_fullscreen 1

Compromises, but it still looks damn sweet and runs over 30fps most of the time on my setup, which is perfectly playable.
Wed 13/11/02 at 22:59
Regular
warez monkeys...... sigh.
Wed 13/11/02 at 22:33
"High polygon count"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Wookie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that sounds very much
> like a corrupt file. Sorry mate. :(
> If you're not doing so already, try using Download Accelerator
> to...erm...download it.

I did! I use FlashGet. Though I did have it running 5 streams for the file. I'm getting it again now, using just one stream. 13% done... 30 hours to go - at the moment!
Wed 13/11/02 at 19:39
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
What spec you runnin' MoJoJoJo? Surely it can't be worse than mine?!

Wookie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that sounds very much like a corrupt file. Sorry mate. :(
If you're not doing so already, try using Download Accelerator to...erm...download it.

By the way, you think 11.5 hours is bad? Try 41 hours for size. :D
Wed 13/11/02 at 16:45
Regular
"That's right!"
Oops, forgot to post it here. I got the demo, takes up over a gig unpacked, thank goodness for my backup hard drives (where I stash my por- I mean, backup files)

Took half an hour to load, no kidding, then ran like a nymphamaniac trying to escape from a sex crazed blonde bimbo - very slowly. Even on the worst resolution, it managed to be choppy as Freddy Krueger at a nursery, yet still remained as pretty as Britney Spears in makeup, which was good

Ran too slowly to enjoy, so I just shot a few people (took about 10 seconds for each one, ran so badly) then quit.

Because it's a very early alpha, hopefully the finished product will run smoother... as in as smooth as a robot's behind

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.