GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does smoking make you look cool?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/04/07 at 17:28
Regular
I say yes.

I'd be interested to hear your views.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:14
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I thought free-running was interesting/appealing because it involves a degree of skill and prowess. Smoking... It really doesn't take any skill or intelligence or anything to light up a cigarette and smoke it.

You say that things that endanger life etc. show the subject to be brave yadda yadda... Well then surely jumping off a cliff or hanging yourself or self-harm are 'cool' because they show a disregard for life and endanger the subject?

I would say that things which happen to be dangerous, but also involve a high level of risk/danger are considered to be 'cool' (see extreme sports, etc. which are generally carry more risk of injury than 'traditional' sports).
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:08
Regular
Interesting, it's the same reason free running is more interesting to watch then the local fat man huffing his way through the park.
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:49
Regular
That's an interesting view tnc.

I started out disagreeing, but by the end, I think I might agree.
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:33
Regular
It's basically anything which endangers a person's health, which is not completely downright stupid, that people believe is a quality of 'cool'.

The disregard for yourself encapsulates confidence and bravery; both qualities from ancient times that people look up to.

It's the reason idiots that drive their cars about forty miles faster than they need to are said to be 'cool'. It's also the reason I enjoy Parkour.
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:32
Regular
MJ wrote:
> Why do I get the impression that Alfonse got laid out by someone
> at school and feels the need to cause commotion on the internet
> to compensate?

Maybe you're a retard who gets off on making mad assumptions?
Fri 13/04/07 at 14:56
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
> If you feel that you have to smoke, wear the right clothes or
> drive a "cool" car to be cool, then you are definitely
> not cool.
>
> Cool people are just cool. Its not because of what they do, they
> simply are cool. They make whatever they are doing look cool,
> such as smoking, then idiots like whoever started this thread
> assume that if they smoke then they will also be cool. Sorry but
> you're wrong, and also, you're not cool.

But if enough of those idiots consider the thing the cool person is doing to also be cool, then to a lot of people, the thing itself is cool.

Other things people do can be cool because they encapsulate cool qualities, like confidence, independence, being relaxed and self assured, looked up to etc etc.
Fri 13/04/07 at 14:53
Regular
MJ wrote:
> Why do I get the impression that Alfonse got laid by someone
> at school

I get the feeling you're wrong about that.
Fri 13/04/07 at 14:05
Regular
Why do I get the impression that Alfonse got laid out by someone at school and feels the need to cause commotion on the internet to compensate?
Fri 13/04/07 at 11:38
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Different people percieve different actions in different ways. Some people may think you look 'cooler' smoking, some may think not. There really isn't a definitive answer.

[EDIT] - Yer, basically what 'Cloon said.

Oh, and people dying of smoking-related illness is not a laughing matter. If you create a topic regarding smoking, you're invariably going to get replies regarding the ill-effects of smoking and to think otherwise is utter foolishness, so don't have a go at people raising these points. You say you're only interested in whether smoking makes you 'look' cool... Well, as has been said, it's more to do with the people observing than the smoker... If the observer has had a family member die of smoking related diseases, then obviously no, they're not going to think the smoker looks 'cool'.
Fri 13/04/07 at 11:20
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
I think smoking is pointless i really do. But i've been there and tried it and really didn't see what the fuss was about. I had a fag the last time i went out. I see this guy and he was mighty fine, but ok we were getting close and that but my defenses came up and i wanted him to back of a lil and i just took my friends fag of her and started smoking. It worked, only too well. I so regretted it!!!

But hey you live and learn (or sometimes not) Lets hope i see him this sunday :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.