GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does smoking make you look cool?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/04/07 at 17:28
Regular
I say yes.

I'd be interested to hear your views.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:31
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Alfonse wrote:
> I think it's the style with which they pull these things off
> which make them seem cool. I mean, a fat man free running would
> not be cool. Or listening to MCR whilst slitting your wrists
> isn't either.

So smoking is only 'cool' when done with style? :-S
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:31
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Give pot limit Omaha a go. Fun stuff.

Omaha scares me. Part of the appeal of hold-em is the opportunity to become really good - to see the game at a really deep level of understanding.
You learn the mechanics of play
Then you learn the principles of betting
You learn styles and how to adjust your play
Then you learn the psychology

You just keep going deeper and deeper into entirely new territories, rather than simply working on the same old skills, just to a higher level of performance.

With that in mind, it feels ounterproductive to venture out into new games. Then again, a brief fling with 7-stud did help me accept the value in taking down a small pot with a big hand, when you were never going to get any more money in anyway (unless the other guy outdrew you).
So there probably is some value in getting into different games, which give you exposure to different situations.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:30
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
tnc wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
>
> You say that things that endanger life etc. show the subject to
> be brave yadda yadda... Well then surely jumping off a cliff or
> hanging yourself or self-harm are 'cool' because they show a
> disregard for life and endanger the subject?
>
> tnc wrote:
>
> It's basically anything which endangers a person's health,
> which is not completely downright stupid
, that people
> believe is a quality of 'cool'

The 'you' was more of a royal you, addressing everyone. Well, not everyone, but you know what I mean. It wasn't directed specifically at your post.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:25
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Hedfix wrote:

> Give pot limit Omaha a go. Fun stuff.

I thought you were talking about cannabis then until I read further down the posts..... :D
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:25
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think part of the reason teenagers think it's "cool" to smoke is that they're doing it underage.

When I was at school if you were say 13/14 and could walk into a newsagents and buy a packet of cigarettes because you looked 16 you were considered "grown up" and "cool" and looked up to as a figure of authority.

Same thing with 15/16 year olds who can get served alcohol.

I think if there was no age restrictions on buying cigarettes smoking would lose a lot of it's "coolness" amongst teenagers and less would do it.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:24
Regular
Ooooh, how risque!
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:20
Regular
"8==="
Give pot limit Omaha a go. Fun stuff.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:19
Regular
Sibs wrote:

> You say that things that endanger life etc. show the subject to
> be brave yadda yadda... Well then surely jumping off a cliff or
> hanging yourself or self-harm are 'cool' because they show a
> disregard for life and endanger the subject?

tnc wrote:

It's basically anything which endangers a person's health, which is not completely downright stupid, that people believe is a quality of 'cool'
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:18
Regular
I think it's the style with which they pull these things off which make them seem cool. I mean, a fat man free running would not be cool. Or listening to MCR whilst slitting your wrists isn't either.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:17
Regular
The adrenaline is fun too.

That's one of the things I enjoy about poker - the adrenaline, the thrill of the hunt. Which is why I prefer tournaments to cash - you have a goal to strive for, something to hope for.
In cash you just make correct decisions and let it all come out in the wash of the long run.

People often dwell up and let their timer run down before folding, when they think you're bluffing.
They do it to suggest they might call, and make you less likely to try again in future.

Personally, I love it. You get so much more suspense and anticipation than if they just fold to your bluff right away.

Sadly I don't single them out for extra bluffing because it would usually be incorrect poker.

That comes first - more than the rush of adrenaline, the challenge of figuring other people out, working out what strategy to use to defeat their style of play. Working out how to beat them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.