GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance *yawns*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 30/06/03 at 20:44
Regular
Got this with my Xbox when I bought it, for some reason I haven't touched it until today.

All I can say is muhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe I should have played through it before I started on Splinter Cell, that way it wouldn't look so pathetic. I tried to like it but it's just so damn sucky.

So, anyone want to swap it with me?
Wed 02/07/03 at 11:44
Regular
"accidental superher"
i'm actually with mav on this one...
the graphics are better on the ps2...(partly cos designed for the ps2 in the first place)
for a start the posters in the ps2 version are less blurry and pixelated compared to the xbox...no i don't really care about the posters but if you're looking for little details then there's one
i did experience some (but very little) slowdown at random moments esp in the cutscenes...don't remember having this problem at all in the ps2 version.
i'm sure the xbox version has some graphical advantages (actually i remember reading in a magazine that hideo kojima said that the xbox version had some sort of extra grpahical advantage) but in fear that i will get it totally wrong i won't say for definate what it is(bump mapping or something?)
but frankly the differences between the ps2 and xbox are so small it doesn't matter which version you get!
Wed 02/07/03 at 22:42
Regular
Substance is not a game specifically coded for Dolby 5.1, and while the Xbox can handle this better than the PS2 - you can hook your fancy system up to Sony's machine and experience sound just as nice. You'd notice differences only if you were out to do so, or have gigantic ears.

Hence, *marginally* better sound.
Wed 02/07/03 at 22:43
Regular
beanz wrote:
> but frankly the differences between the ps2 and xbox are so small it
> doesn't matter which version you get!

PS2 has an exclusive extreme sports mode.
Wed 02/07/03 at 22:48
Regular
Er no you can't...

The PS2 version doesn't run in Dolby Digital (bar cut scenes) so therfore the sound quality is no where near what the Xbox version runs at.

Its just 4 channel stereo and so the same sounds come out of all 4 speakers. I don't think you understand what Dolby Digital is about or what it does. Its not just 5 speakers with the same sounds coming out of all 5. If it was I wouldn't give a monkeys about it.

The sound quality is a LOT better as the Xbox version runs in full Dobly Digital. Bullets go between speakers, the Sub is used at every available oppertunity, Helicopters travel between speakers, all the voices come from the speaker which represents where they are speaking on screen and if not the central speaker. On top of that the quality is Digital and you actually feel as though you are in the action.

Standard 4 channel stereo = Nothing special.

Dolby Digital = Something very special.

Why are you guessing about what Dolby Digital is? You keep saying that the differences are minimal when you couldn't be any more wrong. The differences are huge.
Wed 02/07/03 at 22:55
Regular
That's just your opinion though. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say Dolby Digital just doesn't make a difference to me.
Wed 02/07/03 at 22:58
Regular
You're forgetting that 5.1 makes him offload.
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Why do you always mention sound when talking about any game?
It's the same thud thud thud footsteps, same background music and same gun SFX etc.

If you're running it through a nice set of speakers and not crappy TV speakers isn't it going to sound good anyway?!?!

Like Mav says, unless you're just sitting there trying to hear which is better quality, or have huge ears, the audio is going to be satisfyingly pleasing anyway.

I'd be more concerned with gameplay elements (slowdown, extra features) than sound. After all you don't play a game for a musical score now do you?
Regular
Thats because you haven't heard a game in full Dolby Digital and neither have the other (1-2) people.

If you had you wouldn't be talking balls.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:00
Regular
Of course gameplay comes first and if the game is good I couldn't really care about the audio. Some fantastic games for the Cube only run in Pro Logic or 4 channel but that doesn't effect the experience of the game.

Its the icing on the cake though and its genius.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"

I could see the point of this if you were talking about the sound quality on a music sound system, but saying a game is better because it has Dolby Digital, despite having some minor framerate issues and less extra features is...retarded.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.