GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance *yawns*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 30/06/03 at 20:44
Regular
Got this with my Xbox when I bought it, for some reason I haven't touched it until today.

All I can say is muhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe I should have played through it before I started on Splinter Cell, that way it wouldn't look so pathetic. I tried to like it but it's just so damn sucky.

So, anyone want to swap it with me?
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:28
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Borat Sagdiyev wrote:
> its not that bad, its just I think once you've played splinter cell
> it
> just doesn't cut it,
>
> I preferred it immensely to Splinter Cell.

I've already had this debate with someone, was it you? if so lets drop it. If not, lets drop it :D

I think they're both great games, I just prefer splinter cell.

the cut scenes on mGS2 are unbeatable though
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:31
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I don't think i'll be continuing if the only saving grace you can
> think of, is the cut scenes.

the game thinks its a film, so the best bits are the cut scenes in my view, they really are impressive, almost like a manga film. the game is good though and I would recommend finishing it at least once. the action soon picks up about half way through, its not all endless sneaking about.
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:31
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> On PS2, the controls are excellent and the camera angles are fixed to
> allow the best experience. I thought those two aspects were some of
> the best worked when I played it.
>
> But, no doubt, it differs on Xbox.

It's not the controller I have a problem with. It's the fact that you have to press a button to go into first person mode and then hold the fire button down to shoot your gun. Also, you can't move around in 1st person mode so you can't properly see what's going on half the time.

The fixed camera angles are awful as well, they're so restricted and I'm sure it's no different on PS2.

I'm sure MGS was great back in the day, but Splinter Cell leaves MGS2 behind, eating it's dust.
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:33
Regular
No way. Metal Gear Solid 2 is really good. Camera angles are excellent. Fist person mode is new.
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:36
Regular
I think I missed the fi$ting mode, is that part of the extras?

Very weird that Hideo Kojima is.
Mon 30/06/03 at 21:49
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I think I missed the fi$ting mode, is that part of the extras?
>
> Very weird that Hideo Kojima is.

Going for the 'adult market' and misunderstanding completely. :D
Mon 30/06/03 at 22:02
Regular
Didn't whatshisface from Silicon Knights say they were making the camera angles less restrictive for TS? Something like the ED ones, technically fixed, but the camera pans and sweeps to give you the best view.
Mon 30/06/03 at 22:12
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I said MGS2 was crap at release but nobody believed me. I haven't watched it again since then.
Mon 30/06/03 at 23:05
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> On PS2, the controls are excellent and the camera angles are fixed to
> allow the best experience. I thought those two aspects were some of
> the best worked when I played it.
>
> But, no doubt, it differs on Xbox.

Nope not at all. Exactly the same game as PS2 with no alterations to the Sons of Liberty mode. The slightly sharper graphics and Dolby just add to the experience.

Still think its a better overall game than Splinter Cell. I am a pretty big Metal Gear fan though.
Tue 01/07/03 at 09:07
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I thought MGS2 was miles better than Splinter Cell, never really saw the fuss about Splinter Cell to be honest.

Plus the whole plot of MGS2 is so excellent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.