GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance *yawns*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 30/06/03 at 20:44
Regular
Got this with my Xbox when I bought it, for some reason I haven't touched it until today.

All I can say is muhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe I should have played through it before I started on Splinter Cell, that way it wouldn't look so pathetic. I tried to like it but it's just so damn sucky.

So, anyone want to swap it with me?
Tue 01/07/03 at 10:25
Regular
MGS1 was better.
Tue 01/07/03 at 10:27
Regular
The chances are that Splinter Cell won't be bettered by its sequel as well as very few seldom are. At least with Metal Gear there is always the fantastic story to go back to when the game becomes repetitive. There are also far more things to unlock in Metal Gear Solid 2 which makes playing through again enjoyable.
Tue 01/07/03 at 17:38
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Nope not at all. Exactly the same game as PS2 with no alterations to
> the Sons of Liberty mode. The slightly sharper graphics and Dolby just
> add to the experience.

The graphics aren't slightly sharper at all. I didn't think it supported 5.1 either, so you'd get the same experience through PS2. Though I may be wrong on that one.

Anyhow, the Xbox version is, in truth, a shoddy port of the PS2 one.
Tue 01/07/03 at 19:32
Regular
For starters EVERY Xbox game runs in Dolby Digital at one level or another. They have developed a very good Dolby soundtrack with Metal Gear which enhances the game.

Oh and yes it is better than the PS2 version. Completed both and whether its the fact that with the Xbox I have an Advanced scart which makes it look better then I don't know.

Shoddy port? Not at all although it does sound like its straight out of a magazine does that comment. Have you even played the Xbox version?
Tue 01/07/03 at 20:51
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> For starters EVERY Xbox game runs in Dolby Digital at one level or
> another. They have developed a very good Dolby soundtrack with Metal
> Gear which enhances the game.

Yes but can this not be experienced through the PS2 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance? I'd expect so. I don't know though.

> Oh and yes it is better than the PS2 version. Completed both and
> whether its the fact that with the Xbox I have an Advanced scart which
> makes it look better then I don't know.

Advanced SCART I'd expect - the game runs better on PS2, and there's no difference in the graphics.

> Shoddy port? Not at all although it does sound like its straight out
> of a magazine does that comment. Have you even played the Xbox
> version?

Have you played the PS2 version? From what it seems, you're comparing Substance on Xbox to the original on PS2 - that's just not fair. By shoddy port, I meant the game was coded originally for PS2 and then put straight onto Xbox with certain things removed and coding problems.
Tue 01/07/03 at 21:00
Regular
No because the PS2 developers very rarely get hold of a Dolby Digital kit and this was commented on at the release of Vice City. They bothered to decode the game in DTS and create a great atmosphere but the majority (nearly all) of the other PS2 games are in Stereo only. The Cut scenes in MGS2 Substance on the PS2 are in Dolby Digital but the rest of the game is stereo.

Oh and yes I have played Substance as well because at the time I was considering picking up a PS2 with the game because a few said it was better. It turned out that with the setup I have the Xbox version as the best version all round. If you want to pick up a magnifying glass and search to tell me otherwise then thats up to you. From my experience the Xbox version looked better.

Don't use the slow down excuse either because I haven't ran into *ANY* slow down at all yet which I was expecting on the Tanker area with the rain.
Tue 01/07/03 at 21:36
Regular
Whatever. But I'll use slowdown as an argument as long as you use *marginally* better sound. Additionally, the PS2 has some extra features to it.
Tue 01/07/03 at 22:59
Regular
Marginally better sound? How about Digitial speakers using speaker to speaker transfer along with the sub which makes the gund sound evil :) I think you will find the sounds is revolutionary in Dolby Digital. Although having never experienced it you will probably stick with the silly argument of it not that speical.

Horses for courses though.
Tue 01/07/03 at 23:02
Regular
"8==="
I'm going to get surround sound at some point.
Tue 01/07/03 at 23:45
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Maverick42 wrote:
use
> *marginally* better sound.

That's the exact moment I lost all interest in what you're saying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.