GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pro Evo 3 - First thoughts?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 3'.
Fri 17/10/03 at 11:40
Regular
Got my copy this morning and played for a bit before I go to uni. Here are my first thoughts:

Training mode is much better. You have to first pass a skill 1 then move on to skill 2 and so on to skill 5 which is pretty damn hard. Ain't managed it yet - Skills include shooting, passing dribbling etc

Gameplay is good but it will take time to get used to

I thought there was a libero grande part to the game?

Team names are all wrong as are some of the player names - guessing a cheat cd will be availble soon

Played round a mates house 2 weeks ago a japanese version and the teams were fully updated - not this one. Sheringham still at spurs, Chelsea team from last year plus duff

Overall good but I prefer Pro evo 2 better for some reason. May change over time though

Peace
Sat 18/10/03 at 00:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Van The Man wrote:
> I think that gameplay-wise it's a large improvement over PES2, but it
> is quite hard to skin people. But, if you know the tricks, it's,
> well, great.

I think for people moving from PES2 straight to PES3, its going to take some getting use to. I have been playing WE7 for months though, so i basicly knew what i was getting. If everyone sticks with it though, soon enough you will be playing well and starting to love it more and more.
Sat 18/10/03 at 09:55
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ditto what Pro said. I intially found it difficult to migrate from PES 2 to WE7. The gameplay has changed and you cannot play as easily and in full flow as you could in previous versions of this game... but I have come to terms with WE7 and found my own style of play.

I think a major improvement is the way the computer plays against you - they now have a stronger defence and the striker's are more intelligent making it harder for you to go past them or defend as easily, but this can only be a good thing as it makes you try and notch yourself up to another level and improve your own style and gameplay.

Hopefully I can buy Pro Evo 3 soon, the Jap commentry is becoming a bit annoying and I wanna play the Master League.

*proceeds to smash piggy bank
Sat 18/10/03 at 14:51
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Its not been easy. I can put up with most of the team, and Castolo
> isnt a bad forward at all for this level. But the Keepers!? There
> shocking! Letting me down so often! They aint half caused me to use
> some words i dare not utter here.

Castello (I'll still be using the original PES names :-D) indeed is easily the best player in the team. He's fast and has good skills. Baroja, meanwhile, is the opposite - he's not fast, and he can't do many tricks or flicks, but he has a great shot, and can be useful for holding the ball up. I think they work surpsingly well together.

Marinda is great too. He's the most skillful in the team, but his pace really lets him down. When getting rid of all the fake players, you'll notice that he is worth the most... in fact, a lot more than any other member of this team. So I tend to keep him for a bit longer.

Valery and Stromer are solid at the back, and Cellini does well in the sitting role.

Altogether, they're actually not that bad a team, but the keeper really is crap. Inorov, I think he's called. He constantly drops the ball when he should catch, needlessly flaps at it at corners, and generally lets in timid shots. Crud.

I like my team though. :-D
Sat 18/10/03 at 14:53
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Oh, and I've now got the transfer option, as I won some of the tournaments (Asia-Oceanian Cup, African Cup, American Cup and International League) which got me most of my points.

It works really well, and it's easy to put players into different clubs. So now I've got Chelsea's full team there and Real Madrid and Man United's as well. Getting the whole Chelsea team together was quite difficult, as there are just so many of them to sign. :-D

The only fault with the transfers is that it completely mucks the number system up. So you have to go around and edit all the numbers back to what they used to be as well.
Sat 18/10/03 at 14:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I bought Chilavert too, and I'm so chuffed that you can add him to the Paraguay team. So now he's there, and everything is good again.

YeY.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:46
Regular
"  "
smithy wrote:
> Got my copy this morning and played for a bit before I go to uni. Here
> are my first thoughts:
>
> Training mode is much better. You have to first pass a skill 1 then
> move on to skill 2 and so on to skill 5 which is pretty damn hard.
> Ain't managed it yet - Skills include shooting, passing dribbling
> etc

Yep, but free training rules with the Prince of Persia style rewind.

>
> Gameplay is good but it will take time to get used to

Indeed. Been playing it for months now and I can honestly say this game doesn't get boring, it gets more exciting.

>
> I thought there was a libero grande part to the game?

Is, but some dude already said so I won't bother.

>
> Team names are all wrong as are some of the player names - guessing a
> cheat cd will be availble soon

Most likely.

>
> Played round a mates house 2 weeks ago a japanese version and the
> teams were fully updated - not this one. Sheringham still at spurs,
> Chelsea team from last year plus duff

Your mate must have a patch for WE7, because WE7 has even more outdated squad list than PES3. Me? I have Keane, Kanoute, Postiga, and Zamora to choose from ;)

>
> Overall good but I prefer Pro evo 2 better for some reason. May
> change over time though

It sure will beleive me.

>
> Peace

*Chilled*
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:46
Regular
"  "
smithy wrote:
> Got my copy this morning and played for a bit before I go to uni. Here
> are my first thoughts:
>
> Training mode is much better. You have to first pass a skill 1 then
> move on to skill 2 and so on to skill 5 which is pretty damn hard.
> Ain't managed it yet - Skills include shooting, passing dribbling
> etc

Yep, but free training rules with the Prince of Persia style rewind.

>
> Gameplay is good but it will take time to get used to

Indeed. Been playing it for months now and I can honestly say this game doesn't get boring, it gets more exciting.

>
> I thought there was a libero grande part to the game?

Is, but some dude already said so I won't bother.

>
> Team names are all wrong as are some of the player names - guessing a
> cheat cd will be availble soon

Most likely.

>
> Played round a mates house 2 weeks ago a japanese version and the
> teams were fully updated - not this one. Sheringham still at spurs,
> Chelsea team from last year plus duff

Your mate must have a patch for WE7, because WE7 has even more outdated squad list than PES3. Me? I have Keane, Kanoute, Postiga, and Zamora to choose from ;)

>
> Overall good but I prefer Pro evo 2 better for some reason. May
> change over time though

It sure will beleive me.

>
> Peace

*Chilled*
Sat 18/10/03 at 20:03
Burchet's very good, I don't remember him being this good. Huygens is better than Baroja, Castello in mine is out with a red injury, where the stretcher guys come on and carry him off. Free kicks are difficult, they seem to dip randomly.

How many PES points do you get for winning the Asia/Europe/South America etc leagues?

Graphics seem to be a bit blurred.
Sat 18/10/03 at 20:40
Regular
"WWJD"
I will be playing the game on monday, looks good though
Sat 18/10/03 at 20:44
Regular
"  "
Best 5 players:

Ivanov (As good as most keepers on the game, and has kept me in it at times)
Castello (You can tell he's Brazilian)
Burchet (Very fast and much better than he used to be)
Valery (Strong and solid at the back)
Espinas (An excellent winger)

5 players who were good but got worse:

Cellini (He's got all old and slow :()
Miranda (What happened to his sharp shooting?)
Stromer (Used to be the best defender but now just average)
Baroja (Like a donkey...)
Matt (Used to be super fast, but now... hmm)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.