GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best 10 films of all time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 12:03
Regular
My top ten films! Who wants to know? Well maybe you lot can see what I think are the best films of all time in this topic – Best 10 films of all time. There have been hundreds of thousands of films, but I’ve seen very few as I don’t often have the time to watch films, but I am sure there have been at least ten that have captured my attention, imagination and made me watch on the edge of my seat!

Here goes:

10. Aliens – starring the superb Sigourney Weaver, Aliens is the follow up to the classic original Alien. This one is a lot more action packed with some truly frightening moments! It’s excellently made and directed, with great acting and a soundtrack to match.

9. Scream 1 – it’s funny, but then it gets scary. The film stars drew Barrymore amongst others including the rather nice Courtney Cox (stars in friends). It’s really very well done, and has been seen by a great deal of people – not quite a classic, but it definitely was good enough for 2 sequels to come out!

8. ET – I love horror, sci-fi and all things extra-terrestrial, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who doesn’t know me, that ET ranks as one of the greatest films ever made. The idea of an Alien so great as ET is fantastic. Directed by the flawless Spielberg, this will remain a timeless hit.

7. Terminator. WOW! The special effects in this 1980’s film were absolutely breathtaking for it’s day, and so became one of the best films that Arnie has starred in! He fits the role perfectly – not the most ‘natural’ actor, being a kind of robot person suites him down to the ground. In this one he’s a bad guy, in the next…

6. Independence Day. I know, I know. It’s got a very ‘fortunate’ storyline (everyone that has a significance in the plot ends up crashing into the same place…) but the actual impact of the film was amazing – just think if Aliens tried to take over the world? I will have to get this one on DVD soon.

5. The Crow – a gothic masterpiece of a film. I couldn’t believe how intense the story was, with some unexpected moments in my view. Great acting, and a nice story line! Very well directed, I’ve only seen it 5 times now…

4. Star Wars – The trilogy. Despite George Lucas’ franchise making more money than anything ever could, I really do appreciate his ideas for this film – the original sparked off something new – in a galaxy, far, far away… the newest film isn’t the best, but it’s highly professional. I think my personal choice would have to be the Return of the Jedi film – the last in the first trilogy! Story is amazing, and very funny at times – great inter-galactic action! It’s a sci-fi classic, and anyone who refuses to watch it is missing out!

3. Predator. This one scared me a little bit, and is somewhat underrated in my view. The atmosphere generated from this film is superb – very clever visual effects, and a superbly original idea (probably derived from a comic). Lots of shooting in this action packed movie.

2. Matrix – recently released, it instantly goes down as one of my favourites. The special effects alone could have captured the crowds and the acclaim, but there was actually a decent plot behind it – brilliant story by those two brothers (I forget their names – sorry!). Starring Keanu Reeves, this is a very hi-tech, computer wiz kids’ dream film. Stunning specials, and digitally perfect on the DVD film!

1. Terminator 2. The best just got a whole lot better! I remember seeing this one in the Cinema – I had to get there for the first showing because everybody would say what had happened if I had been in the 2nd or later showing! I was blown away by the amazing liquefying special effects, and was pleased that Mr S was now a good guy! The storyline is brilliant, and the soundtrack is even better than the film!

And there you go! My 1-10 in less than 5 minutes reading! Hope you liked it!
Sun 05/08/01 at 13:10
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Here's mine;

- Drunken Master
- Iron Monkey
- Requiem For A Dream
- Fight Club
- L.A Confidential
- Seven
- Fist Of Legend
- Shawshank Redemption
- The Matrix

....And at Number 1 pop-pickers, the awesome, if complex at times....

-Memento

./Steve
Sun 05/08/01 at 10:10
Regular
I still think "The Rock" is the best movie of all time, I watched it lastnight and loved it.
Sat 04/08/01 at 22:12
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
CJC wrote:
> I dont believe you guy's, the best ever film is "The Rock"
> it's amazing. I would class it as the best action movie
> of all
> time.

What I can't believe is that the 90% of the films mentioned were made in the last ten years - or, in fact, that anyone would consider the The Rock as thier favourite ever film.

In fact, how has no one mentioned:

The Godfather films
North by Northwest
Dr Strangelove
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Citizen Kane (which I don't really rate, but it always seems to get mentioned in these things)
The Third Man
Taxi Driver
Chinatown
Vertigo

Plus others that don't jump to mind right now.
Sat 04/08/01 at 15:49
Regular
The Shawshank Redemption is a great movie, I got it as a present last Christmas.
Sat 04/08/01 at 12:55
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Shawshank is brilliant and Ronin is fantastic on DVD. One of the best picture qualities of any DVD.
Sat 04/08/01 at 12:54
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Oh, and Monty Python's Life Of Brian - rib crackingly funny. And South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut.

"I'm Brian and so's my wife!"
Sat 04/08/01 at 12:50
Regular
"Twenty quid."
How about The Shawshank Redemption? Or The Blues Brothers? And I saw a brilliant foreign film on Channel 4 one night called Funny Games (and it's not what you thinking: "Foriegn, late, Channel 4 .. nudge-nudge!").

And Ronin was another one I particularly enjoyed.
Sat 04/08/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
We've had that before in this topic havn't we. Well I know how you feel. Nobody ever includes Heat and that's the best film ever.

But if it makes you feel better, The Rock used to be my favourite film about 6 years ago. I remember seeing it for the first time. My brother was away for a week in Cornwall on a school trip so my dad rented The Rock. It was so damn good.

You could buy it in Woolworths for 2.99 if you bought Air Force 1 so I bought them both. And Air Force 1 is actually really bad. I mean awful. It's fun to watch but if you actually think about it and think how badly it's been directed then it really does seem bad.

And does Jerry Goldsmith ever change his music? Every piece of music he does sounds just like Star Trek Voyager!

:)
Sat 04/08/01 at 12:20
Regular
These are all very good films, what about "The Rock"?
Sat 04/08/01 at 10:54
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Oh, The Usual Suspects is great. That twist at the end. I was so sure it was Keaton.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.