GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best 10 films of all time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 12:03
Regular
My top ten films! Who wants to know? Well maybe you lot can see what I think are the best films of all time in this topic – Best 10 films of all time. There have been hundreds of thousands of films, but I’ve seen very few as I don’t often have the time to watch films, but I am sure there have been at least ten that have captured my attention, imagination and made me watch on the edge of my seat!

Here goes:

10. Aliens – starring the superb Sigourney Weaver, Aliens is the follow up to the classic original Alien. This one is a lot more action packed with some truly frightening moments! It’s excellently made and directed, with great acting and a soundtrack to match.

9. Scream 1 – it’s funny, but then it gets scary. The film stars drew Barrymore amongst others including the rather nice Courtney Cox (stars in friends). It’s really very well done, and has been seen by a great deal of people – not quite a classic, but it definitely was good enough for 2 sequels to come out!

8. ET – I love horror, sci-fi and all things extra-terrestrial, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who doesn’t know me, that ET ranks as one of the greatest films ever made. The idea of an Alien so great as ET is fantastic. Directed by the flawless Spielberg, this will remain a timeless hit.

7. Terminator. WOW! The special effects in this 1980’s film were absolutely breathtaking for it’s day, and so became one of the best films that Arnie has starred in! He fits the role perfectly – not the most ‘natural’ actor, being a kind of robot person suites him down to the ground. In this one he’s a bad guy, in the next…

6. Independence Day. I know, I know. It’s got a very ‘fortunate’ storyline (everyone that has a significance in the plot ends up crashing into the same place…) but the actual impact of the film was amazing – just think if Aliens tried to take over the world? I will have to get this one on DVD soon.

5. The Crow – a gothic masterpiece of a film. I couldn’t believe how intense the story was, with some unexpected moments in my view. Great acting, and a nice story line! Very well directed, I’ve only seen it 5 times now…

4. Star Wars – The trilogy. Despite George Lucas’ franchise making more money than anything ever could, I really do appreciate his ideas for this film – the original sparked off something new – in a galaxy, far, far away… the newest film isn’t the best, but it’s highly professional. I think my personal choice would have to be the Return of the Jedi film – the last in the first trilogy! Story is amazing, and very funny at times – great inter-galactic action! It’s a sci-fi classic, and anyone who refuses to watch it is missing out!

3. Predator. This one scared me a little bit, and is somewhat underrated in my view. The atmosphere generated from this film is superb – very clever visual effects, and a superbly original idea (probably derived from a comic). Lots of shooting in this action packed movie.

2. Matrix – recently released, it instantly goes down as one of my favourites. The special effects alone could have captured the crowds and the acclaim, but there was actually a decent plot behind it – brilliant story by those two brothers (I forget their names – sorry!). Starring Keanu Reeves, this is a very hi-tech, computer wiz kids’ dream film. Stunning specials, and digitally perfect on the DVD film!

1. Terminator 2. The best just got a whole lot better! I remember seeing this one in the Cinema – I had to get there for the first showing because everybody would say what had happened if I had been in the 2nd or later showing! I was blown away by the amazing liquefying special effects, and was pleased that Mr S was now a good guy! The storyline is brilliant, and the soundtrack is even better than the film!

And there you go! My 1-10 in less than 5 minutes reading! Hope you liked it!
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:03
My top ten films! Who wants to know? Well maybe you lot can see what I think are the best films of all time in this topic – Best 10 films of all time. There have been hundreds of thousands of films, but I’ve seen very few as I don’t often have the time to watch films, but I am sure there have been at least ten that have captured my attention, imagination and made me watch on the edge of my seat!

Here goes:

10. Aliens – starring the superb Sigourney Weaver, Aliens is the follow up to the classic original Alien. This one is a lot more action packed with some truly frightening moments! It’s excellently made and directed, with great acting and a soundtrack to match.

9. Scream 1 – it’s funny, but then it gets scary. The film stars drew Barrymore amongst others including the rather nice Courtney Cox (stars in friends). It’s really very well done, and has been seen by a great deal of people – not quite a classic, but it definitely was good enough for 2 sequels to come out!

8. ET – I love horror, sci-fi and all things extra-terrestrial, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who doesn’t know me, that ET ranks as one of the greatest films ever made. The idea of an Alien so great as ET is fantastic. Directed by the flawless Spielberg, this will remain a timeless hit.

7. Terminator. WOW! The special effects in this 1980’s film were absolutely breathtaking for it’s day, and so became one of the best films that Arnie has starred in! He fits the role perfectly – not the most ‘natural’ actor, being a kind of robot person suites him down to the ground. In this one he’s a bad guy, in the next…

6. Independence Day. I know, I know. It’s got a very ‘fortunate’ storyline (everyone that has a significance in the plot ends up crashing into the same place…) but the actual impact of the film was amazing – just think if Aliens tried to take over the world? I will have to get this one on DVD soon.

5. The Crow – a gothic masterpiece of a film. I couldn’t believe how intense the story was, with some unexpected moments in my view. Great acting, and a nice story line! Very well directed, I’ve only seen it 5 times now…

4. Star Wars – The trilogy. Despite George Lucas’ franchise making more money than anything ever could, I really do appreciate his ideas for this film – the original sparked off something new – in a galaxy, far, far away… the newest film isn’t the best, but it’s highly professional. I think my personal choice would have to be the Return of the Jedi film – the last in the first trilogy! Story is amazing, and very funny at times – great inter-galactic action! It’s a sci-fi classic, and anyone who refuses to watch it is missing out!

3. Predator. This one scared me a little bit, and is somewhat underrated in my view. The atmosphere generated from this film is superb – very clever visual effects, and a superbly original idea (probably derived from a comic). Lots of shooting in this action packed movie.

2. Matrix – recently released, it instantly goes down as one of my favourites. The special effects alone could have captured the crowds and the acclaim, but there was actually a decent plot behind it – brilliant story by those two brothers (I forget their names – sorry!). Starring Keanu Reeves, this is a very hi-tech, computer wiz kids’ dream film. Stunning specials, and digitally perfect on the DVD film!

1. Terminator 2. The best just got a whole lot better! I remember seeing this one in the Cinema – I had to get there for the first showing because everybody would say what had happened if I had been in the 2nd or later showing! I was blown away by the amazing liquefying special effects, and was pleased that Mr S was now a good guy! The storyline is brilliant, and the soundtrack is even better than the film!

And there you go! My 1-10 in less than 5 minutes reading! Hope you liked it!
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
the crow is wicked i got the DVD for £7.99 bargain or what!!

"not a good day to a bad guy, hey skank!"

"i'm not skank, thats skank right there, Skank's Dead!"

"thats right!!"
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:54
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I can't be bothered to write out my top 10 purely because, well, I don't actually have a top 10. I do have a top 1 however, as everyone on this forum probably knows.

HEAT!
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ö~ Res€vilfan ~Ö wrote:
"not a good day to a bad guy, hey
> skank!"

"i'm not skank, thats skank right there,
> Skank's Dead!"

"thats right!!"

I most certainly am dead...

:-)
Fri 03/08/01 at 20:26
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I couldn't even begin to compile such a list. Number one would PROBABLY be Rear Window. Hitchcock, Stewart and Kelly 'nuff said! Hmmmm... what else would be up there?

I actually did start including other films, but it began to annoy me as I was sure I was forgetting something better than everything I was writing. Can't explain really, and even if I could it would still sound a tad silly.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:41
Regular
I dont believe you guy's, the best ever film is "The Rock" it's amazing. I would class it as the best action movie of all time.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:44
Regular
You still have a good selection of movies, I would agrea with you mostly. Remember "The Rock" No.1!
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:47
Regular
There are soooooo many good films out there. I have a soft spot for action though so here goes:

10 - Indiana Jones Trilogy. Hell of a good set of films. Action, romance, witty little one liners. You name it, Indiana has been there, done that, got the funny ancient treasure.

9 - The Mummy. Probably plays off my fondness for Jones, but the Mummy combines some of Indiana's funniest quirks with mind blowing special effects. Not to mention Rachael Weisz!

8 - Goldfinger. James Bond has never been the same since Connery. Its always cool to hear him say "Bond, James Bond" in that class little burr of his. Plus Auric Goldfinger has an evil German accent and Oddjob is short and hard. What more is needed?

7 - Rush Hour. Probably Jackie Chans best film, with Chris Tucker's one-liners for company. Jackie kicks someones head in and Chris comments on it. Perfect.

6 - Air Force One. Nice to see Harrison Ford can still blow stuff up in style. One problem - why do English guys always play the baddies?

5 - Gladiator. I didn't love this as much as other people, but the best epic since Ben Hur was certainly deserving of more Oscars than it got.

4 - The Italian Job. Great British film, and the scene with the Minis is the stuff of film legend

3 - Jurassic Park. I first watched this as a kid, and having the usual love of dinosaurs was enthralled by it. I still love it, even though the two seuqels were dissapointing

2 - Dogma. One of the most original films of the decade. Religious satire at its best. Although it provoked critisism from the Catholic Church, I think it was witty and most of all orginal.

1 - Star Wars. Words cannot describe the brilliance of Star Wars. Perfect casting, stereotypical villians, loveable heroes and a great stalward of the golden age of sci-fi.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:52
Regular
That's a good selection!
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:58
Regular
"Back For Good"
my top ten oh that could take a while but here are some of my favourites anyway.

basketball diaries
exorcist
Leon director's cut
la femme nikita
Rocky
crow
texas chainsaw massacre
saving private ryan
spaceballs
home alone
die hard
money train
sixth sense
pulp fiction
ghostbusters
pump up the volume
tremors
evil dead 2
back to the future
psyco
halloween
lethal weapon

wow more than i thought but i really could go on forever

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.