GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best 10 films of all time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 12:03
Regular
My top ten films! Who wants to know? Well maybe you lot can see what I think are the best films of all time in this topic – Best 10 films of all time. There have been hundreds of thousands of films, but I’ve seen very few as I don’t often have the time to watch films, but I am sure there have been at least ten that have captured my attention, imagination and made me watch on the edge of my seat!

Here goes:

10. Aliens – starring the superb Sigourney Weaver, Aliens is the follow up to the classic original Alien. This one is a lot more action packed with some truly frightening moments! It’s excellently made and directed, with great acting and a soundtrack to match.

9. Scream 1 – it’s funny, but then it gets scary. The film stars drew Barrymore amongst others including the rather nice Courtney Cox (stars in friends). It’s really very well done, and has been seen by a great deal of people – not quite a classic, but it definitely was good enough for 2 sequels to come out!

8. ET – I love horror, sci-fi and all things extra-terrestrial, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who doesn’t know me, that ET ranks as one of the greatest films ever made. The idea of an Alien so great as ET is fantastic. Directed by the flawless Spielberg, this will remain a timeless hit.

7. Terminator. WOW! The special effects in this 1980’s film were absolutely breathtaking for it’s day, and so became one of the best films that Arnie has starred in! He fits the role perfectly – not the most ‘natural’ actor, being a kind of robot person suites him down to the ground. In this one he’s a bad guy, in the next…

6. Independence Day. I know, I know. It’s got a very ‘fortunate’ storyline (everyone that has a significance in the plot ends up crashing into the same place…) but the actual impact of the film was amazing – just think if Aliens tried to take over the world? I will have to get this one on DVD soon.

5. The Crow – a gothic masterpiece of a film. I couldn’t believe how intense the story was, with some unexpected moments in my view. Great acting, and a nice story line! Very well directed, I’ve only seen it 5 times now…

4. Star Wars – The trilogy. Despite George Lucas’ franchise making more money than anything ever could, I really do appreciate his ideas for this film – the original sparked off something new – in a galaxy, far, far away… the newest film isn’t the best, but it’s highly professional. I think my personal choice would have to be the Return of the Jedi film – the last in the first trilogy! Story is amazing, and very funny at times – great inter-galactic action! It’s a sci-fi classic, and anyone who refuses to watch it is missing out!

3. Predator. This one scared me a little bit, and is somewhat underrated in my view. The atmosphere generated from this film is superb – very clever visual effects, and a superbly original idea (probably derived from a comic). Lots of shooting in this action packed movie.

2. Matrix – recently released, it instantly goes down as one of my favourites. The special effects alone could have captured the crowds and the acclaim, but there was actually a decent plot behind it – brilliant story by those two brothers (I forget their names – sorry!). Starring Keanu Reeves, this is a very hi-tech, computer wiz kids’ dream film. Stunning specials, and digitally perfect on the DVD film!

1. Terminator 2. The best just got a whole lot better! I remember seeing this one in the Cinema – I had to get there for the first showing because everybody would say what had happened if I had been in the 2nd or later showing! I was blown away by the amazing liquefying special effects, and was pleased that Mr S was now a good guy! The storyline is brilliant, and the soundtrack is even better than the film!

And there you go! My 1-10 in less than 5 minutes reading! Hope you liked it!
Sun 26/08/01 at 18:49
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Classic Christian Slater can be found in a film that has surfaced from nowhere on to Sky Premier... 'Julian Po'. It is a very strange film in which Slater spends hours walking around in a daze. Great stuff. His acting capability knows no limits.

On the Memento inconsistencies issue.. They do try to get around the photo thing, sometimes he finds the photos by accident but there are times when he does pluck them straight out his pocket without a moment's thought. As for the release date, it's September 4th in the States and that's only because the distributors are Pathé, and they suck. I e-mailed blackstar about the £80 rental copy, to see when the price was going to drop, and apparently a few of the distributors set rental targets and once they've made that amount of money off the DVD rental then they release it at a sensible price. Most distributors aren't doing this as they want to create a market for DVD's by releasing them way before videos. But if you go to your local blockbusters then you'll see that the shelves are now stocked with DVD's... It's only a matter of time before all the distributors begin to release rental only DVD's, and then release them to buy later.

Anyone seen 'Requiem for a dream' or 'Pi'? They were two of the best films I've seen in a while.
Sun 26/08/01 at 16:12
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking it was great. When I watched it again though, it was no where near as good. In fact it wasn't even that good.

Are you saying that Christian Slater is a talented actor. He can't act to save his life. He's awful. And who is Bronson Pinchot? Is that the guy in Deep Blue Sea and Cop Land? If it is, then he IS talented.

:)
Sun 26/08/01 at 15:47
True Romance is a film I think many people overlook. Its got great entertainment value and ridiculously talented actors popping up all over the place - just take your pick from:

Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Gary Oldman, Bronson Pinchot and Samuel L. Jackson - (he's only on for a minute or so but he's still in there!)
Sun 26/08/01 at 15:08
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
misterhappy wrote:
> I hope when Memento finally comes out to buy on DVD...
> september/october I think... that one of the extras will be a
> reordered viewing option.

It says on Blacstar that it's out on the 14th of January 2002. That's ages away. I don't think they'll have a reordered version on the disc though. Mind you, they are taking their time with the release. Hopefully they're planning some really great extras.

It might ruin the film though, as the
> whole idea is it's a whodunnit in reverse. God I love that film,
> it's just so good. One thing does bother me, how does leonard know
> he has a condition.. Surely he would have been told about it after
> he got the condition and would have forgotten it.

I kept thinking how would he know that he had the photos in his pocket. He obviously started using them after he got his 'condition' so how could he remember about them. The only reason I could think of was repetition.

Still, memento
> is probably my favourite film of the past year or so...

It's probably one of mine too.
Sun 26/08/01 at 10:16
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I hope when Memento finally comes out to buy on DVD... september/october I think... that one of the extras will be a reordered viewing option.

It might ruin the film though, as the whole idea is it's a whodunnit in reverse. God I love that film, it's just so good. One thing does bother me, how does leonard know he has a condition.. Surely he would have been told about it after he got the condition and would have forgotten it.

Still, memento is probably my favourite film of the past year or so...
Sat 25/08/01 at 23:27
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Firstly, Memento has been mentioned about 10 times. Not by me though. I thought it was really good but I'd really but I'd need to see it again in order to decide whether it was good enough to be in my top 10. And did you see it at the cinema?

Secondly, Traffic is a great film.

Sat 25/08/01 at 23:21
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Has no one ever seen an Aronofsky film? Pi, Requiem for a Dream. Anyone seen Memento? Or another Guy Pearce film, LA confidential. Top 10 film lists are always controversial but neither the Matrix nor Independance Day should ever feature in such a list. Magnolia is also a great film, despite its love it or hate it reputation. Seriously though you need to watch some more avant-garde films. If you watch Requiem for a Dream some of the camera work is exceptional, it really puts mock-arthouse films like Traffic to shame. I also have a penchant for Kevin Smith films, Mall Rats and Chasing Amy in particular; it's the pop-culture references, they get me every single time.
Sat 25/08/01 at 23:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
.......and Bruce Willis.
Sat 25/08/01 at 23:19
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Hey SK, Die Hard 2 is much better than Die Hard with a vengeance. The only reason vengeance is any good is because Samuel L Jackson was in it.

Sat 25/08/01 at 20:23
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption are my fav's.

Gone in 60 Seconds funny in some parts but not for the right reasons!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.